Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:04 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:10 pm 

Hi guys, I hope someone can give me a hand...currently freaking out :(

I have a LS 441 with 4 TB drives in a JBOD configuration, each disk is a volume and a shared folder in my network which I access using Samba. I do not use raid configs as I had massive data loss in the past and I just use my NAS to store media to be accessed from my media player within my home cinema setup.

The NAS reported overheating , so I stopped the data transfer, turned of the NAS and removed the cover and three of the four disks, leaving only one empty disk in bay 2 (the one I wanted to fill with movies from an external USB 4TB Drive). After 20 hours the transfer finished and I turned off the Nas, plugging the other three disks in again. When I restarted the NAS the data in the other 3 drives was lost... the system required all drives except the one I had the files transferred to, to be formatted before use.

Is there any way to recover the data in those disks? we are talking 12 TB of hardly replaceable media here...

I will appreciate any help you can provide, I'm really worried with this.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:08 pm 

1. the fan-control bug can rapair with
http://forum.nas-hilfe.de/buffalo-technology-nas-anleitungen/luefterregelung-fuer-die-400er-serie-t2422.html

2. All removed disks marked as demaged.
The firmware is a raid 1 with all 4 disks.

3. the safe way is to clone your drives before trying to recover the marked drives

after cloning the drives you can analyse your system

post the output from

Code:
cat /etc/melco/diskinfo

Code:
cat /proc/mdstat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:01 pm 

Buffalo use XFS filesystem, to save data use this.

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:0682370cb61c3bfeab4e85a049d392a8e25a4597&dn=UFS%20Explorer%20Professional%20Recovery%205.18.5

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:42 pm 

Hi and thanks for the ideas, the disks were not part of an array and were individual volumes set up as individual shares in my network ( I think is the Just a Bunch o' disks option). The heat issue I think it was a real issue as the location of the NAS is not ideally ventilated (inside a media cabinet) so I opted to remove the cover and all inactive disks as I only needed one to be loaded with files from the external drive.

Just for clarification, I turned off the NAS properly before removing the disks and the next time I booted the NAS the data of the three disks I reinserted were gone.

I tried UFS explorer and it wont even find the disk to begin with, I also tried a gparted linux distribution and it could not even find the drive either.

Any chance the MBR was damaged and it's not even recognized as a connected drive by the SO, any tool to fix the MBR and maybe access the files for recovery?.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:26 pm 

Quote:
Hi and thanks for the ideas, the disks were not part of an array

this is wrong
the firmware is a raid 1 with all 4 drives

your data are on a xfs partition
this partition is on a mdadm volume

mdadm is raid

raid 1 with only 1 drive and 1 drive missing

Quote:
Just for clarification, I turned off the NAS properly before removing the disks and the next time I booted the NAS the data of the three disks I reinserted were gone.

Your firmware has market all missing drives as fail in the /etc/melco/diskinfo

[flash=]Do not modify the original disks
MBR...[/flash]

you can easy read your date with linux, mdadm and xfs

Code:
mdadm --assemble /dev/md0 /dev/sd[abcd]6

mkdir /tmp/test

mount /dev/md0 /tmp/test

mc /tmp/test

it is not so easy to add the marked disk to the nas
[flash=]do not try this with the original disks[/flash]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:24 am 

I conducted an experiment to extract the second disk on my model LS421DE, in JBOD mode:

normal state:
Code:
                 JBOD
first disk sda        second disk sdb
sda1           md0          sdb1  #/boot (raid1) ext3
sda2           md1          sdb2  #root Fs (raid1) ext4
sda3           RAW          sdb3
sda4          GRUB          sdb4
sda5           md2          sdb5  #swap (raid1)
sda6   md101        md102   sda6  #two user partitions XFS

after the second disk is ejected, Buffalo firmware rebuilds the array to the form

Code:
                 JBOD
first disk sda       
sda1   md127   #/boot ext3
sda2   md126   #root Fs ext4
sda3   RAW     
sda4   GRUB     
sda5   md125   #swap 
sda6   md124   #user partitions XFS

after returning the second disk to the system, the first time the firmware reports that the second disk is damaged, but you must wait and the array will be rebuilt, during this time the orange (or red) signal will blinking. After it stops blinking, restart NAS. Add one disk at a time.

p.s. this will work if you did not reinstall the firmware and did not make your changes to disks

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:17 am 

Very interesting, I don't recall the orange light blinking but being solid. I will try when I get home, in the meantime I managed to connect the drives to my pc using sata, and with UFS explorer I was able to locate the partition and read the files, which I have saved to external USB Drives. Since I haven't reinstalled the firmware nor modified the drives in any way, I might as well give this a try. Thanks for the ideas!.

Last edited by mattforum on Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:43 am 

Hi, I left the Nas on all night with all the disks in (including the ones I had removed which later showed up as unformatted) and the orange LED was blinking. THis morning the orange light was still blinking and nothing had been resolved, so I formatted the drives and have started to restore the data from external drives. It will take at least a week to get those 12TB back in.. so, a word of caution regarding the removal of disks, it may be not a good idea...

Thanks to those who offered their help or ideas.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:25 am 

what code reported? orange/amber page 132 http://manual.buffalo.jp/buf-doc/35020812-06_EN.pdf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:24 pm 

this is wrong
Quote:
with all the disks in

You should have tried this.
Quote:
Add one disk at a time.

And do not forget to fix the fan control bug.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:38 pm 

Facepalm!!! I should have read more carefully. Now it is too late to cry over the spilt milk... thanks for the clarification.