Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:48 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:01 pm 

Hi!
I've bought an LS-WVL and was very disappointed by the fact you have to initialize it using a Windows machine and all it's flaws.
I've tried to add a serial port to it but because of lack of information about it I got caught in Buffalo's trap. I connected the pads under SPI EEPROM before removing a diode that was supplying 12V to a TXD pin on a serial connector. By doing it I basically fried a TXD line in the processor. The unit still works fine.
I know that this SoC has an MPP unit which means that you can choose multiple pins(not at the same time) to use as UA0_TXD line. Fortunately one more pin that can be used as UA0_TXD is used on my board. It's connected to a NAND's FLASH memory data line. I don't need a NAND flash when booting U-BOOT and I've got sucked into it so I want to continue and get even deeper into this matter.
By soldering an SPI FLASH adapter and programming a spare SPI chip(M25P40) with original firmware I have a possibility to try to run U-BOOT compiled from Buffalo sources without a risk of bricking the unit.
For now I want to compile the U-BOOT sources, program the memory chip again and make it work.
I have ELDK tool chain installed. After fixing a few errors in the source code I was able to compile it and program the SPI EEPROM with it. It doesn't boot tho. After checking the image header I see that registers definitions at the beginning of my image are different than in original one. I assume this is the problem, at least it's a good point to start. There is a txt file that has the same registers definitions in U-BOOT sources from Buffalo. It's config for 533Mhz DDR3 memory with buf suffix(33 lines). I was able to make the program use 533Mhz DDR3 registers definitions file without buf suffix(23? lines) by adding DDR3=1 to compile command but I have no idea how can I make it use the file with buf suffix. It's the one that matches my original image. Does anybody know how to configure the compile process to make it use that txt file?
English isn't my first language. I'm not a programmer. I've tried to explain it as good as I can. If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask. Thank you in advance!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:04 am 

Problem solved. After investigating further it seems that the NAS hangs when booting the kernel. Well known issue with U-BOOT-1.1.4. Mystery solved. I messed up my box and need a new case to debug it. If you have a case/broken/used unit for a few bucks or want to buy NAS guts feel free to message me.