Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:31 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:43 pm 

Ok.

I made the awful mistake of buying 2 Terastation Pro machines off ebay because the auction ended soon and.

I ask several times to Buffalo tech support phone and in the forums if you could upgrade and was told.

1. We don't support any upgrade or even replacing the drive with an identical drive. ( Appearatly buffalo wants to be in the hard drive business not the NAS business)

2. My terastation live upgraded to 1.5TB drive with no problem( and I got the same response from them with that as I did with the pro) One person said " oh yeah, the live and pro are basically the same thing except Pro has active directly and live has media streaming)

Anyway, now that I am stuck with 2 of them, I find out that my hard drives are useless becasue of the 500GB drive limit because buffalo refuses to update the firmware past the 2.4 linux Kernel which is what I understand to be the problem.

I am looking for maybe a way to hack the box with new software or something to make it recognize regular size hard drives.

It does recognize larger drive however when a raid array is built the total array size is substantially smaller than what it should be with the drives. ( yes, I have taken into account the loss of space with RAID5 and that a 750GB drive actually has like 698GB of actual space on it which is normal)

So in my above example, a raid 5 configuration with 750GB drive X 4 drives will not even come close to 2,094GB array even know each individual drive is recognized for its full size.

Please let me know if I have any option other than a big paper weight or a new target practice item.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:53 am 

I meantioned in another thread which I see you had also posted in:
Quote:
Search the wiki using "TeraStation Larger Disks" as the search criteria. There are two main wiki articles - one all about what you need to do if you still want RAID5 capability, and the other is about the way to proceed if you are prepared to give up using RAID for the data partitions.

Using the techniques described in these articles I and several people I know have successfully installed hard disk sizes up to 2TB on a TS Pro.

Note, however, that for the larger size drives you will not be able to use more than 4x1TB if you want RAID5 and continue to use the Buffalo GUI to manage the disks. Tests by others indicate that this is possible if you set up Partition 4 as an Extended partition, but then you have to manually manage the additional partitions. In my case I did not want RAID5 and set up each drive to be handled independently - thus my use of larger size drives up to 2TB without problems.

If you have questions on the articles then feel free to ask them.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:35 pm 

itimpi wrote:
I meantioned in another thread which I see you had also posted in:
Quote:
Search the wiki using "TeraStation Larger Disks" as the search criteria. There are two main wiki articles - one all about what you need to do if you still want RAID5 capability, and the other is about the way to proceed if you are prepared to give up using RAID for the data partitions.

Using the techniques described in these articles I and several people I know have successfully installed hard disk sizes up to 2TB on a TS Pro.

Note, however, that for the larger size drives you will not be able to use more than 4x1TB if you want RAID5 and continue to use the Buffalo GUI to manage the disks. Tests by others indicate that this is possible if you set up Partition 4 as an Extended partition, but then you have to manually manage the additional partitions. In my case I did not want RAID5 and set up each drive to be handled independently - thus my use of larger size drives up to 2TB without problems.

If you have questions on the articles then feel free to ask them.

So you can keep the Raid5 ability with drives over 1TB but you will then lack the GUI or are you saying that you will lose the RAID5 as well?

Is there anyway to format these drives without the use of telnet command line interface?

Such as a 3rd party linux partitioning program running on your PC? I would not have a problem placing the hard drives in my PC if needed.
Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:49 pm 

armornone wrote:
So you can keep the Raid5 ability with drives over 1TB but you will then lack the GUI or are you saying that you will lose the RAID5 as well?
You can keep the raid5, but you have to do work at the linux level to get the RAID5 arrays mounted whenever the system is booted as the start up scripts built into the standard firmware will not be doing this for you.

Quote:
Is there anyway to format these drives without the use of telnet command line interface?

Such as a 3rd party linux partitioning program running on your PC? I would not have a problem placing the hard drives in my PC if needed.
Thanks

It is not that the partitioning could not be done elsewhere, but you would have to be in at the telnet level to set up the raid arrays so you might as well do it all from the telnet level. You cannot let the built-in firmware do this, because as has been mentioned it does not know how to handle these larger disks. You would also have the isue of making sure the system and swap partitions are set up correctly if you tried to bypass the recommended process.

It is worth pointing out that you can experiment with what needs doing at the telnet level without having the larger disks physically installed. The process is basically the same whatever the size of the disks installed, so (assuming you have any disks at all) you could try it on those already present.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:27 pm 

itimpi wrote:
armornone wrote:
This may be an unusual question would I be ok with it if you are.

I have setup port forwarding on my router on port 23(telnet) to my terastation pro server.

If I give you my IP Address, it will allow you telnet access to my terastation Pro via Putty.

I have no data on the drives, just empty drives and I have already dismounted the drive from the instructions.

Do you think you could apply this system you invented to my Terastation ?

Please let me know what you think.

Alternatively, do you have any putty log files from when you did this that you could post on your wiki page to show exactly what you are suppose to do?

Please let me know what you think?

Thanks for all your help!

in theory the wiki articles should have all the information you might glean from a putty log, plus additional explanatory text.

I may be able to do something via telnet later this week - if you still want me to try this then PM me the details (do not post them here where they are publically available).

Note that before I could even attempt to anything remotely you would have had to applied the telnet enabled firmware (even though the partition sizes might not be what you want) and telnet access must be working.