Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:12 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:27 pm 

First post here.

Basically I have an LS1 that I use as a music server (MPD) via a USB DAC to my HiFi and controlled with my iPhone (MPoD). I like to have the unit in the same room but as we know the fan (even on low) is audible. Generally the fan noise isn't even an issue but late at night listening to mellower music it can be heard at the quiet parts.

It seems that the fan cannot be turned completely off. I know fannyd can control the fan low/high according to HDD temp but that doesn't give complete silence.

My idea is:

Hardwire a toggle switch on the rear of the LS1 to completely turn the fan off (when required). Having a script, possibly a modified Fannyd script that activates the blinking "Disk Full" LED when a certain temp is reached, say 40 degrees C (My server HDD temp never goes above 38 degree C with fan on low speed). When the LED blinks I know to switch the fan on. The script will then stop blinking the "Disk Full" LED when temp goes below, say 36 degress C, at which time I can switch the fan off again.

Does this sound feasible? I'm not sure if the fan is required in anyway to cool the CPU or not? or whether it's just a HDD thing... or even if the HDD temp is a good indicator of overall unit temperature (CPU included).

The modified script is easy enough, but as I'm fairly noobish at command-line stuff, I'll need to see on how to actually get Fannyd working :lol:

(I haven't had a look yet but I'm guessing the fan is a 3-wire job?.. If that's the case you could use a relay and have it automatically doing it from "OFF" to "Low Speed" bypassing the switch altogether, even even keep the switch in place for "high-speed" when required).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:02 pm 
Site Admin

well, I don't do much hardware modding, so I can't advise you on that ...

but a tarball for fannyd is in my user directory : http://downloads.buffalo.nas-central.or ... fannyd.tgz

you should check over the tarball before you install it... I'm assuming that you are running Debian on your box,

KuroPro, LS2 & KuroHG (foonas)
Working on davysweather.dyndns.org lately...

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!
Unknown command 'wooohooo!' - try 'help'

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:22 pm 

Thanks Davy,

yes, I'm using Freelink. I have AVR and HDDtemp working.

I'll give fannyd a try and get back to you! many thanks. :up:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:51 pm 

A few 'basic' questions.

The only way I can get it to work is if I manually type at every power up:

sudo chmod a+rw /dev/ttyS1 (otherwise permission is denied)
sudo ./usr/sbin/fannyd

It wont start automatically and I've no idea why or how to make it start.. :| any ideas?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:35 pm 

I've got it all working but fannyd doesn't start on boot.

I have to type

/etc/init.d/fannyd-daemon start

After that it's all ok. Shouldn't daemons in the init.d directory automatically start on boot? my MPD does. :?

EDIT: got it working eventually.. didn't know to do the "update-rc.d" thing.

Now to strip it down and see what's what wiring wise. :up:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:38 pm 

Well, the unit doesn't like the fan being "off" for any length of time! shutdown with the Diag light blinking.

Ack well. Was worth a shot.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:54 pm 
Site Admin

correct - the fan is a three-wire unit. the 3rd wire is for sensing the fan status. the microcontroller (avr) chip does that, and checks to see its status.

With fannyd you can set it the temperature thresh hold quite high, so that the fan comes on only with significant heat buildup, like the kind you'd expect with large/long data transfers and continous disk activity over a longer period of time.

Also, different hdd (by brand) generate more or less heat. For my experience, Maxtor drives created a lot of heat, Seagate seemingly much less, but I guess this can all very wrt model, line, etc.

My LS1 (really a kurobox now as it has foonas-em + Lenny + 2.6.31 + uboot on it) rarely has its fan go on high, as w/ fannyd I have it set to only go off @ 40degC or so.

If the box is dust free inside, if the fan blades are clean, and with a bit of stable lubricant, my LS1 is virtually silent. I have to put my ear near it to hear anything. The processor is not heavily loaded, though, as it runs mtdaapd, fuppes, p910nd and some file sharing stuff (nfs & samba) only.

KuroPro, LS2 & KuroHG (foonas)
Working on davysweather.dyndns.org lately...

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!
Unknown command 'wooohooo!' - try 'help'

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:42 pm 

It has a Western Digital drive and rarely goes above 36 degrees.

The box is free of dust inside, the fan blades are clean and there's no "wear" noise within the fan if you know what I mean.. I can definitely hear the air being pushed around by mine though.. It was atleast 3 times quieter when the fan was off (I put a switch in).

I guess sticking it in the cupboard and running a USB cable out to the DAC wont do any harm.

Just out of curiosity, is there a way round fooling or indeed bypassing the fan status thingy on the LS1? Im assuming the fault detection is within the firmware/bios or something like that? With the fan unpowered it goes into fault and shutsdown.

[Yeah 8v out was Low speed and 12v out was High speed.. I'm assuming you could theoretically run a 12v relay in there and when fannyd goes into "high speed" the 12v would trigger the relay. Could use the same 12v line with a resistor (or regulator) to take the voltage down to 8v feeding the fan (low speed) - could even take the 12v feed from the HDD connector I suppose. Anyway for all that we'd need byass the fault detection thingy.]