Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:22 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:37 am 

Hi there,

I disassembled my brand new LS-CHL (v2-EU, firmware 1.09) and tried to install Debian Lenny following this guide by dsplayer: http://forum.buffalo.nas-central.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=13551.

Unfortunately it did not work. Upon reboot, the blue led of my Linkstation keeps blinking and the system never comes up. Or at least its DHCP-assigned IP address never pings back.

By reconnecting the HDD to my desktop PC I noticed that the /boot/rootfs_ok file that I created was deleted and that a /boot/rootfs_booting file was created instead which contains two asterisks, "**". Something happened then, but then the boot hung somewhere and I can't figure out what went wrong.

I did the whole procedure three times, but same behaviour.

Can anybody help? Thanks

Last edited by mmanzato on Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:44 pm 

Anyone?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:41 pm 

Ok this is going to be a lonely post... nevermind.

Reconnecting the HDD to the PC I was able to trace down some logs. Here is a snippet of kern.log (dmesg, messages says something similar):

Code:
Sep 23 10:03:42 linkstation kernel: eth0: mac address changed
Sep 23 10:03:42 linkstation kernel: eth0: started
Sep 23 10:03:42 linkstation kernel: eth0: stopped

whereas syslog complains about a missing modules.dep file (indeed the whole 2.6.22.18 directory is missing):

Code:
Sep 23 10:03:42 linkstation modprobe: FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.22.18/modules.dep: No such file or directory 
Sep 23 10:03:42 linkstation modprobe: FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.22.18/modules.dep: No such file or directory

So:
1) something is actually going on when I turn the LS on!
2) apparently there's something bad on interface "eth0" which prevents it to start up correctly.
3) Kernel modules aren't where they should be (?)

Still investigating, help appreciated.

M

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:45 pm 

One more attempt. I tried making a hybrid, taking the Lenny distribution + original initrd.buffalo + updated /dev & /lib/modules directories. Still a no-go. Actually the LS boots, the blue led stops blinking and it pings back. But inspecting the disk reveals that nothing was written to /var/log so I suppose that the LS enters some diagnostic mode and halts.

I'm running out of fantasy.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:41 am 

http://www.yamasita.jp/linkstation/2009 ... t_165.html suggests that the network interface is on eth1 rather than eth0! That's probably why network doesn't start...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:48 am 

If it pings back it means the network is working, the problem probably comes from something else

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:11 pm 

Ping back is from attempt #3 (mixed solution, probably booting default initrd).

Lenny installation wouldn't ping back.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:27 pm 

That's it! Ethernet is on eth1!

Well in fact this LS-CHL board has two ethernet interfaces, and supposedly the active interface falls on eth1. It took me a good while to realize it, and mostly the japanese article above.

Actually, in my quest I soon departed from the freelink install and I went for a clean Debian Lenny debootstrap. I will post a wiki page about my experience soon. I've still a couple of things to fix (blue light keeping flashing, testing USB support, wake-on-lan, etc).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:55 pm 

Great news :biglol:

Congratulations!

I'm looking forward to this tutorial :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:46 am 

Unfortunately neither USB nor micro_evtd are working.

• micro_evtd is not supported on LS-CHL. Among other things this means that the blue light keeps flashing all the time, as well as the fan keeps rotating full speed. I tried the trick in /etc/init.d/micro_evtd, adding "Feroceon-KW" among the supported hardware, but when I start the service /sbin/micro_evtd complains about not being able to access /dev/ttyS1. The device is there, but probably it does not work as expected. Interestingly, on LS-CHL hardware special devices (fan, leds, etc.) can be reached on /proc/buffalo/.
  • USB isn't working - no device appears when connecting a USB key. Looking at experiences from other users I thought it was a kernel problem - but in fact I am using the stock kernel! So, there's must be an initialization step in the stock software distribution which activates which, of course, does not happen on Lenny.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:01 pm 

can you post your experience anyway? what exacly you have done? maybe we can do a mix between stock-fw and your solution...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:59 pm 

I've prepared this WIKI page: http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Deb ... n_LS-CHLv2 It's still work in progress, but it should be at least "followable" by others. Please report your experience here or on the related Wiki discussion page.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:35 pm 

good job!

I actually don't know if the Linkstation is called LS-CHLv2 because i used this name only to show that it is different to the usual one ^^ good thing to see, that now everybody is using my creation...

well, i made it to compile the merged kernel source of the shevaplug.. i simply looked at the difference between the stock kernel source provided by buffalo and the one provided by marvel. I added the buffalo-stuff to the marvel source and compiled it using the toolchain and toolkit from the shevaplug. My Problem was, that i could not add the buffalo specific signature to the image. So i actually did compile everything as modules and tried to import it into the buffalo stock kernel. A few modules did not load or do some problems but the ones which i needed (fuse, ntfs3g, loop) were loaded.

It would be quite nice if we can use the merged sources for kernel compilation, especially as buffalo did not provide any config for the "LS-CHLv2" or the new cpu in their sources...

I will try the next days to merge Debian Lenny with the parts from the Stock-Kernel that provides the USB-Support and the other buffalo specific stuff... As soon as i get some information i will report it here ;)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:01 am 

Hi, i have analysed the stock kernel and maybe i found the way to the solution for fan, leds and maybe usb...
there is a package named nas-fw-arm where quite much stuff is inside. You actually get the content of the
package by typing "dpkg -L nas-fw-arm" on a nas with stock firmware...

I have added a file with the contents of the package above... simply untar them in the root-directory with
tar -xzvf nas-fw-arm.tar.gz

as far as i can see it seems that you have to set the path to work with the stuff:
PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin

if you get a error for missing libbuffalo....so simply link it / copy it from /usr/local/lib ;

if you want to try the leds, simply type in "led_test.sh start"

i guess, that the miconapl controls the leds, fans and a part of the power management. It seems, that the usb-port is usualy powered of ( see "cat /proc/buffalo/gpio/power_control/usb0"). There must be a way to activate it, but i am too tired to try it today... maybe someone of you will find a solution in the meantime ;)

Quite much tools from buffalo can be started as deamons...simply look in the config files

http://bluehost.to/file/WEcG6LgUw/nas-fw-arm.tar.gz

have fun!

UPDATE2:: USB:
Put the following lines in a sh-file and run it at every boot:
Code:
modprobe "usbcore"
modprobe "ehci-hcd"
modprobe "ohci-hcd"
modprobe "uhci-hcd"
modprobe "usb_storage"
modprobe "usblp"
/usr/local/sbin/miconapl -a usb_set_power all_on
led_test.sh start
led_test.sh stop

you can check by "lsusb" that the devices appear....it seems that you can connect more that one usb-storage-device

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:09 pm 

Nice discovery! Sure I will try it.

I was trying to do the same myself by inspecting the original LS initrd and patching things in Lenny. Didn't know about the dpkg -L thing.

However, I came to a point where:
  • the blue light stops flashing as soon as the boot is complete
  • if you turn the power switch to "off" the unit shuts down (wow, eh?)
In progress:
  • hard disk spindown when unit is idle (tried with sdparm, it spins down but it starts again in seconds)
  • USB auto-mount when a suitable unit is plugged in
Todo:
  • controlling fan speed with temperature

I'll share this as soon as possible.