Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:01 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:31 pm 
Total Newbie

I have been running OpenLink for some time now. It started when I want to do some maintenace on the LinkStation. I discovered that the "Recycle Bin" feature was enabled and eatting up half the disk. I manually purged the files (rm -rf .trash/*) then disabled the recycle bin feature via web interface.

I wanted to try to enable SCP on the LS so I installed the Dev Tools and downloaded OpenSSH 5.1p, compiled and installed. I then went about configuring OpenSSH using these directions: http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.php/OpenSSH_(including_daemon)_for_OpenLink#OpenLink_.28MIPSel.29.

After that the LS stopped responding to SMB requests. I rebooted and the power light flashed and continued to flash. After about 5 minutes the red diag. light would start flashing. I assumed that init was having issues with the sshd startup script so I removed both /etc/init.d/sshd and /etc/rc.d/rc2.d/S07sshd.

Here is what I know:
1) I cannot power off the LS by holding the power button while the power light is flashing.
2) I can power it off when the red diag. light is flashing.
3) I can log into the LS via ssh and telnet, which are the only two listening ports (I opened a ssh session and ran netstat -a)
4) The Buffalo Firmware update utility cannot find the LS (even directly connected)
5) The Buffalo Navigator cannot find the LS
6) The LS does not search for a tftp server via 192.168.11.1 (even directly connected)
7) The LS does not respond to SMB requests

Like I said, I can manage the system via ssh. Any and all help is greatly appreciated! :D I am looking for the less time consuming route. If need be I can disassemble the LS and mount the disk physically to my workstation and back my data and start all over. I just need to know how. Anybody got any advice?

Model:
HD-H250LAN (All original parts / no HDD swap)

uname -a:
Linux NAS 2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation #88 2005ǯ 2�� 25�� ������ 20:17:00 JST mips unknown (strange chartacters)

Root directory (/) contains many tar files

/etc/init.d/:
apservd
halt
pcastd
atalk
hdparm
procps.sh
bootmisc.sh
inetd
rc
checkfs.sh
klog
rcS
checkroot.sh
load_config
reboot
chk_backup
logmgr
rmnologin
lprng
sendsigs
default_hostname.sh
mc_ctld
set_hostname.sh
devfsd
mkshare.sh
smb
devpts.sh
mountall.sh
syslog
dropbear
murasaki
thttpd
ekpd
networking
umountfs
ftpd
ntpdate
utelnetd

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:22 pm 
Betatester

Quite possibly mc_ctld isn't starting ? You may want to look into avr_evtd

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:56 pm 
Total Newbie

:biglol: :up:

I followed the instructions on this page http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.php?title=Articles/GeneralRescueGuide titled "Recover a non working "bricked" Linkstation" and it worked.

Basically I just mounted to my workstation, backed up my data, and removed all partitions from the hard drive. When the LS booted up it booted in EM Mode and I was able to flash it. Afterward I reconfigured it for my network.

All's well that ends well. (Or so they say)

Thank you all for the help! :D