Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:34 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:24 pm 
Site Admin

Hi all,

Not many people would care about this, since freelink 1.11 has been working so well
for PPC users for a while, but i thought we might try to update the ppc freelink image.

-The main thing i'd like to see is to add avr_evtd, so users could more easily switch back
to Openlink by reverting to EM mode thanks to avr_evtd by some button pushes.

-If there is an updated and stable flash kernel image available, that would be a plus
for users wanting to repartition.

-It's been discussed before, but should anyone want to release Add-ons,
you could create value-added images, or use freelink-o-matix.

-Any other thing deemed important to reside in the Core load by you. (Yes, you !)

ramuk, can we easily install avr_evtd using freelink-o-matix ?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:50 pm 
Site Admin

hi flavoie,

I was thinking that andre's webinstaller installed avr_evtd.

My upgraded HG (fileserver, firefly, etc) has been running etch for months now - seems very stable.
You're talking about a reworking of the image, rather than a script-driven-upgrade for a 1.11 installation, right?

KuroPro, LS2 & KuroHG (foonas)
Working on davysweather.dyndns.org lately...

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!
Unknown command 'wooohooo!' - try 'help'

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:11 am 
Site Admin

yes, a new image.
I'd expect script-driven upgrades would be best served using freelink-o-matix.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:11 am 
Site Admin

It should feature

Etch
a universal /etc/network/interfaces (EM/DHCP)
avr_evtd (preferably from my upgradehelper package)
maybe the webinstaller or kernel 2.6 v63
telnet disabled
SSHD running
Buffalo-compatible configs for samba3, netatalk (maybe based on my Mac article sample), NFS, and CUPS.

The list is of course open (to lighty and some FTPD, for example). The .debs for these services themselves don't have to be installed, but one could think of shipping FreeLink, against the Debian philosophy but for the benefit of many users, with these packages pre-installed.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:40 pm 
Site Admin

anyone that does not need the packages can uninstall them anyway.
there was much development since freelink 1.11 was released...
i think an updated version really makes sense now..

andre`s list should be the base, i agree with all mentioned things.

post any other suggestions here in this thread....but remember that this image still should be minimal...only the basic functionallity which a user expects from debian on a NAS should be there

shares: samba/nfs/netatalk + preconfigured configs
microcontroller: avr_evtd
kernel: webinstaller

thats for the hddrootfs part.

but what about the bootloader (bootcode.bin) and EM initrd (2.4.33.3 + ftp/root-enabled firmimg.bin) ?

the question is: if someone flashes freelink with the firmware updater he already modifies the flash.........on HG/HS systems freelink even could be bundled with the uboot bootloader. the bootloader isn`t modified on the LS1, it does not have the bootcode-binary in the packages...but the HG/HS boxes have.

i personally think it is more safe to have a failsave bootloader (smaller than 150 kb) directly....and not to have to trust that the stock bootloader AND the update of the 3 MB firmimg.bin works.

from the HG boxes there were many that had bad flash chips...bad sectors in the firmimg.bin-partition.....if someone with an HG would flash Uboot together with the firmware-update to his box then most likely his box could at least boot afterwards....if a basic kernel for loading with uboot would be preinstalled as well then the risk to brick the boxes would be much more minimized if someone is unsure if he got a bad HG or not.

the LS1`s are the bigger problem as we cannot install uboot via the firmware updater.....

but we could solve both with a 2 stage uboot installer...we already discussed how to do this for all systems....we just have to build the uboot installer mechanism into a seperate special hddrootfs which determines the box type and flashes the right uboot binary to the flash....

what do you guys think about this? bad idea? good idea? to restrictive as everything goes to uboot way and the loader.o method gets obsolete?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:09 pm 
Site Admin

As for uboot, it is robust - I have had about 15 power outages (construction at our house, thunderstorms) since November when I installed Uboot, and I have never had a problem rebooting the 2.6 kernel these mishaps. (the interested reader can search the ppc forums to see how many folks - very often those who don't read Andre's man/docs - start their boxes after a power failure only to find it running 2.4 - and many of them panic...)

mindbender, are you saying to put in 2.4.33.3? If that's what you are saying, then I think it makes sense. it works very well w/ uboot. it would be nice to have jfs/xfs support in it, but it isn't essential.

It definitely is a fork in the road - once you go to uboot then there is no way to go back to the stockware, right? Or is this not correct? (don't know if I ever heard of anyone trying to untar a stock rootfs on hda1 of a uboot-ed lsppc - just to see if it would function - but of course back-flashing w/ the Buffalo Flasher wouldn't work after uboot since it couldn't see a box running uboot). For me, I'd never want to go back (what for?), but for JoeEverydayUser it is something to consider.

regardless of what kind of installer scheme is chosen, an upgraded Debian looks good now. I have an unused HG here that I would be willing to offer up as a guinea pig. :lol:

afterthought: won't the new OE/OpenLink also require such a 2-stage installer? maybe this would be the opportunity to field-test the process...

KuroPro, LS2 & KuroHG (foonas)
Working on davysweather.dyndns.org lately...

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!
Unknown command 'wooohooo!' - try 'help'

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:52 pm 
Site Admin

the OE/foonas requires this 2-stage installer anyway.

i already outlined everything here:
1) Opensource_Firmware_Updater
2) UBoot-Installer
3) UBoot-Installer-scripts

we just never finished this. i just had no time because my thesis has a higher priority.

i thought about coding this in java, transfer the files via ftp and use telnet for communicating. like the twonky installer uses. we could of course also use wget from the LS side for retrieving the files, but that would mean that we would have to serve the files from within the java app somehow.

regarding going back to the stock bootloader:
this is possible. you just need to flash the bootloader + firmimg.bin back to flash.
it could be a built in mechanism in this uboot-installer
1) to flash from stock bootloader + firmimg.bin to the uboot one
2) to flash from UBoot to the stock bootloader + firmimg.bin.

....and don`T forget, if UBoot is finally working on the LS2 this Installer can be enhanced for the LS2 as well.

but back to topic.

discussion about the uboot installer should take place in this thread:
The Linkstation Community Forum / General Development / Automatic UBoot Installer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:17 am 
Site Admin

I think an automatic uboot install by the updater,
and also a new firming.bin for a new flash kernel would be great.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:37 am 
Site Admin

So do I. I might even reflash ;)

This should definitely be combined with

# Set FSCKFIX to "yes" if you want to add "-y" to the fsck at startup.
FSCKFIX=yes

in /etc/default/rcS