Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:41 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 Next
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:07 pm 
Site Admin

kuroguy wrote:
It flashed in under a minute on my Kuro.

That's odd. Why wouldn't it be visible in mine? would the kind of terminal window make a dinfference. I tried vt102 and xterm (color) both.

I only needed to flash the v3 firmimg.bin, right? (in addition to U-Boot) There isn't a third flash that I missed, is there?

KuroPro, LS2 & KuroHG (foonas)
Working on davysweather.dyndns.org lately...

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!
Unknown command 'wooohooo!' - try 'help'

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:38 pm 
Site Admin

@mindbender: i like the new EM firming splash screen. Have you now got the busybox init process fixed?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:18 pm 
Site Admin

It took me about 10 minutes to install FreeLink on a old West Digital 3BG hard drive (the 2GB wouldn't work-I think it is too slow to interact corretly w/ teh ide controller, or it has a fault).

EM mode was quick & painless - to get around the ftp operator perm problem, I just (on /mnt/hda1)

mkdir ftptmp
chmod 777 ftptmp

and made sure to cd to ftptmp before I did a transfer of tmpimage and the uImage kernel.

It was easy and predictable (ie. what was wanted was what happened) and fast.

It is an excellent feature to have three choices for booting (2.4.33.3 - EM mode, 2.4.33.3 kernel from flash & hddrootfs, & normal boot of the 2.6.17.13 kernel from the hdd) and an easy, reliable way to switch from one to another in a matter of a minute or so (includes boot-up time).

As an end-user (I am not a developer) this is really cool. And now I can install whatever software I want to on whatever partition sizes I want to.

mindbender wrote:
but personally i see no reason why you would want to go back.

lb_worm wrote:
i like the new EM firming splash screen.

I guess this is a case of me "not seeing things" rather than "seeing things". I, too like the looks of welcome spash posted above. While I've booted into EM with the latest v3 now about 6 times, I don't see it when I log in (neither using telnet 10.0.1.9 nor telnet -l root 10.0.1.9). It should be in the terminal window, right? :? The file /etc/issue and its symlink /etc/issue.net are present, and they look great. Am I late for the show?

I am using the standard terminal that comes w/ OS X 10.4, Terminal.app. I've tried a third party term app as well.

??

KuroPro, LS2 & KuroHG (foonas)
Working on davysweather.dyndns.org lately...

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!
Unknown command 'wooohooo!' - try 'help'

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:33 pm 
Site Admin

davy_gravy
i will test it on my LS1 soon...maybe i have the same problems, we will see.

kuroguy wrote:
MAybe we want to look into storing more initrd stuff in the other remaining flash locations such as moving the u-boot environment to fff40000 and also usint the status block, etc. We could gain an additional 700 k by doing so.

yes, that would be great!

what about leaving as it is and just create a JFFS2-partition or any othher writeable partition there for developing?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JFFS2
http://www.linuxdevices.com/articles/AT7478621147.html

we could use a squashfs-image (read only) there and just mount it automatically in EM Mode....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squashfs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cramfs

it would also allow adding new space without having to move the bootloader.

i personally think it is easier later to create this additional partition there and flash an image to it than to move the bootloader which i consider quite risky.....i mean if it is automatically done...

i definitely would help me to get additional stuff into the ramdisks.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:33 pm 
Site Admin

Not moving the bootloader. it needs to start at ffff0000 in order to execute on powerup. The current map looks like this:
Quote:
fffc 0000

firmimg.bin

fffe ffff
ffff 0000

U-Boot

ffff 2fff
ffff 3000

Unused

ffff 5fff
ffff 6000

U-Boot environment

ffff 6fff
ffff 7000

Unused

ffff ffff

We could move the envitonment to ffff 3000 thru ffff 3fff and it would leave the area from ffff 4000 thru ffff ffff as one continuous section. It would require making one simple change to /include/configs/linkstation.h and reinstalling the bootloader. You would be able to upgrade u-boot using the upload option at the u-boot prompt.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:57 am 
Site Admin

kuroguy wrote:
We could move the envitonment to ffff 3000 thru ffff 3fff and it would leave the area from ffff 4000 thru ffff ffff as one continuous section. It would require making one simple change to /include/configs/linkstation.h and reinstalling the bootloader. You would be able to upgrade u-boot using the upload option at the u-boot prompt.

what happens if i install such a UBoot to a virgin Linkstation/Kurobox?

does this work or is there any reason why the Enviroment is there where it currently is?

lb_worm wrote:
@mindbender: i like the new EM firming splash screen. Have you now got the busybox init process fixed?

not now. i did not use the Ramdisk created via buildroot.....i used the enhanced stock one once again., just used the latest kernel and edited /etc/issue to reflect the current status....

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:01 pm 
Site Admin

mindbender wrote:
what happens if i install such a UBoot to a virgin Linkstation/Kurobox?

Nothing. As far as the user is concerned, it will look and operate exactly as the current u-boot does. It would just make it easier for us to use the remaining flash memory.

I'll build a version like this and email it to you. I'll install it on my Kuro first as I'm sure there will be no effect (not that that ever stopped me).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:04 pm 
Site Admin

kuroguy wrote:
Nothing. As far as the user is concerned, it will look and operate exactly as the current u-boot does. It would just make it easier for us to use the remaining flash memory.

I'll build a version like this and email it to you. I'll install it on my Kuro first as I'm sure there will be no effect (not that that ever stopped me).

sounds good.

i recommend to compile a version with the normal settings:
box ip: 192.168.11.150
nc-server-ip: 192.168.11.149

then we could use this UBoot-binary later.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:20 pm 
Site Admin

It will be good to get a larger contiguous lump of flash available to put something more useful in :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:05 pm 
Site Admin

Found the line to change. It is in /include/configs/linkstation.h.

Code:
#define CFG_ENV_ADDR            0xFFF60000

needs to be changed to
Code:
#define CFG_ENV_ADDR            0xFFF30000

We should also erase the area at 0xfff30000 thru 0xfff3ffff the first time we run U-Boot after installing the new version to keep left over data from being interpreted wrongly be U-Boot.

We will also want to redefine the boundaries of the MTD devices to align the devices with the new boundaries. That will make flashing from EM mode easier.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:25 pm 
Site Admin

kuroguy wrote:
We will also want to redefine the boundaries of the MTD devices to align the devices with the new boundaries. That will make flashing from EM mode easier.

i suppose you mean redefining the mtd-devices so it is interpreted as a whole flash partition while in Linux?

where do we do that?

in UBoot? in the kernel? in both?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:36 pm 
Site Admin

Just built U-Boot with the env. at 0xfff30000 and it errored out. moved it to 0xfff40000 and it built properly. Will email it shortly.

As far as the boundaries of the MTD devices, they are defined in the kernel, so we would need a new firmimg and kernel patches for 2.4.33 and 2.6.

We could define the mtd devices as:
0xffc00000 thru 0xffefffff - firmimg.bin
0xfff00000 thru -xfff4ffff - U-Boot/U-Boot environment
0xfff50000 thru 0xfffffffff - more firmimg
0xffc00000 thru 0xffffffff - allflash

That would leave a bit extra for future U-Boot versions allowing U-Boot to grow to a maximum of 256K without the environment.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:45 pm 
Site Admin

a question....what was there before in flash?

was it just empty?

i am thinking about the kernels andre provides...would this additionally patched kernels work on stock boxes via loader.o or could there be problems?

i mean...the service andre provides is great and i know that he isn`t thinking of moving to UBoot because he does not see any additional benefit for him.

it would be bad if we could not use his kernels in the future anymore.... :down:

i hope this sections in flash are just empty :o

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:55 pm 
Site Admin

They were used for the status block(OKOKOKOK), and the area from 0xfff80000 thru 0xffffffff is used to store the configuration files for restoring after a reflash. It would mean that this u-boot would only work with a special EM mode and the firmware updater likely wouldn't work after installing it because it wouldn't be able to complete the step of restoring the configuration files.

We could take care of the modified MTD devices with a patch that could be applied to the patches andre releases. This would also mean building kernels from source instead of using a precompiled "Andre" kernel.

There are several cons to this idea, but it will make more room for EM mode stuff.
Maybe we start a new branch for this idea and let the current branch continue on its way?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:26 pm 
Site Admin

thats my my opinion:

i think that we have enough storage space with the current 4 MB for the future firmimg.bin where the ramdisk is built from scratch (which features kurostyle EM Mode + xfs-tools + 2.4.33.3 + xfs-module).

currently there is no real need for additional storage space in flash if i succeed with the custom ramdisk.

i suggest we think about that again when i definitely fail because lack of storage space.

this is no criticism, i just think about compatibility.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 Next