Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:56 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:38 pm 

Hello. This might sound stupid or anything, but is there anyway to run linkstation 420 with no raid so you just have a system with 2 disc that is 2 tb each so I would have 4 tb in total with no backup.

if not I could sell my two 2tb disck and then just order one 4 tb and install that only, if that would work.

another thing would anyone of you take the risk of running raid 0 as I want more storage and not data backup in general, this is just to store my movies.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:34 pm 

Ghaxer wrote:
Hello. This might sound stupid or anything, but is there anyway to run linkstation 420 with no raid so you just have a system with 2 disc that is 2 tb each so I would have 4 tb in total with no backup.

if not I could sell my two 2tb disck and then just order one 4 tb and install that only, if that would work.

another thing would anyone of you take the risk of running raid 0 as I want more storage and not data backup in general, this is just to store my movies.

Hi Ghaxer.

The 420 supports JOBD, raid 0 and raid 1.

If you really don't mind about data loss then raid 0 would be best since it's quick and provides a single volume to 4TB.
JOBD would provide you with the same capacity but on two 2TB volumes so you would have to decide where you wanted to place your videos.
JOBD has the benefit that if one of your disks fails you can sill access the other. In raid 0 if either disk fails you loose the lot!

Ian

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:45 pm 

Eeeps wrote:
Ghaxer wrote:

Hi Ghaxer.

The 420 supports JOBD, raid 0 and raid 1.

If you really don't mind about data loss then raid 0 would be best since it's quick and provides a single volume to 4TB.
JOBD would provide you with the same capacity but on two 2TB volumes so you would have to decide where you wanted to place your videos.
JOBD has the benefit that if one of your disks fails you can sill access the other. In raid 0 if either disk fails you loose the lot!

Ian

Thanks, I did not know about the Jbod as I looked at the specs quick i just saw raid 0 and 1 as they were the only ones i knew, I do care about data security at some point so I will go with jbod as that is the best option.