Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 9:21 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:35 am 
Total Newbie

Hi,

I have Links Station 420D. I want to factory reset it using the function button but I am not able to. It says: "Turn the LinkStation on with holding down the function button. The function LED will flash blue. Press the function button again while the LED is flashing.The status LED will flash blue. It will start flashing amber when initialization begins." I have tried this many times but it only ends up booting into the previous setup after both light has blinked blue for a while. Maybe I am not doing it right? First I hold down the function button. I turn it on, but how long do I hold down the function button? When do I press it the second time and how long do I hold it the second time? I'm pretty sure I'm doing it wrong somehow, so if someone could confirm the correct sequence with timing it would be great.

//C

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:16 am 

second time press only short (100ms)
    This procedure resets only the password.

Factory reset is only available on the webif.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:13 pm 
    Total Newbie

oxygen8 wrote:
    second time press only short (100ms)
    This procedure resets only the password.

Factory reset is only available on the webif.

I'm late to this party, but having the same (or similar) problem.

I started a firmware update via the nas.local web page, then Firefox crashed midway through and I had to power cycle the LS420 NAS. Now the NAS cannot be seen on my LAN.

While it's connected to my router, when I go through the reset steps, it stabilizes to a pattern of the upper light flashing red (orange?) for two slow then 5 fast blinks. I've read elsewhere (http://en.faq.buffalo-global.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12767) that this pattern might interpreted as code 25 meaning updating firmware. But I left it on overnight in that state and it was still flashing the same pattern in the morning.

I installed the Navigator software on my Win10 laptop, but it doesn't find the NAS on my LAN.

Before this event, I was getting an indication that one of the (2) drives was going flaky.

Can I get my NAS back? Or is it time to replace? Should I expect any functionality if both drives are removed? (i.e. is the flash software on the internal board or is it on one of the drives?)

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:30 pm 

Quote:
    (i.e. is the flash software on the internal board or is it on one of the drives?)

Its on the drives as raid 1

Quote:
    Before this event, I was getting an indication that one of the (2) drives was going flaky.

you can not repair the nas with a bad disk