Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:21 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:44 pm 

I have a pair of mostly vanilla boxes (420/440) with factory firmware which are doing 90% of what I need them to by using ipkg installs and TCL (tiny core linux) repo for their RasPi to obtain working binaries, the remaining 10% of this adventure is going to surround AoE (ATA Over Ethernet) and NFSd.

nfs-utils was installed through ipkg but nfsd throws an Illegal Instruction, thus I have to assume the build was for ARM9 instead of ARM7.
The other tools (portmap, etc.) are running, but otherwise untested.

The crew at TCL were kind enough to send AoE sources through their compiler which I'll be testing later once I have NFS ironed out.

1) Are there any known/reliable binary repos out there which are ARM7 compatible
2) Is there a "clean" and reliable way to add compiler software/libs to the LinkStation to build nfs utils/common from source and then wipe it back to where it was prior?
(I'm going to attempt just making a backup of /opt and restoring it to clean out gcc/cpp/automake/etc. but in different scenarios I've found this less than reliable.)

Thoughts/suggestions requested and appreciated!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:03 pm 

I think, there is no support for kernel- nfs.
Use unfs3
http://forum.nas-hilfe.de/buffalo-technology-nas-anleitungen/nfs-auf-einer-linkstation-ohne-raid-t1126.html

you can istall it with optware.
But be aware, after mounting /opt you can not create new shares.

Try this way:

Install all needed with ipkg
copy the folders from /opt to the right place on /
umount /opt

rename /etc/init.d/rc.optware to /etc/init.d/rc.optware.old

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:16 pm 

oxygen8 wrote:
I think, there is no support for kernel- nfs.

I just found this out the hard way :(

Turns out, OptWare's ipkg version of nfs-utils has a mismatched nfsd... but within nfs-server (beta) this one seems functional.
I set up export... set up the share... modprobe nfs is where I learned of the missing module.
(Seen in nas-features... horrible thing to assume!)

I'll look into unfs - thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:19 pm 

oxygen8 wrote:
But be aware, after mounting /opt you can not create new shares.

I wouldn't be sharing /opt... way too risky.
Instead, my plan was to:

Code:
mkdir /nfs
mount -bind /mnt/device/nfs /nfs

...and have /nfs shared instead.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:36 pm 

You dont understand.

If you install unfs3 with optware you will not be able to create a new share

example pictures

The webinterface will show you the new share, but you can not find it in you network.
because it is createt in /opt/pictures and not /mnt/array1/pictures

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:13 am 

oxygen8 wrote:
You dont understand.

If you install unfs3 with optware you will not be able to create a new share

example pictures

The webinterface will show you the new share, but you can not find it in you network.
because it is createt in /opt/pictures and not /mnt/array1/pictures

Sorry to resurrect an old post, but your notes regarding /opt and shares is the topic in question.
I've rewritten rc.optware to where I can enable/disable optware thus allowing shares to be managed without risk of misplaced directories (and a 3TB loss later, existing ones vanishing!) and I'm currently working on replacing the webui to where it'll be a bit more powerful and a lot more safety-friendly, but the question remains...

If I create a directory in /mnt/disk1/some_directory and reboot, Samba (manager) goes into some kind of "recovery" mode and adds the directory as a share. Deleting the directory obviously does not remove the share - plus I'm not trying to press my luck until this tid-bit is figured out.

Do you know of where the files/scripts are which build the smb.conf and/or which files restart services (and kill sshd) when a share is created/edited?
Basically, what I need to do is prevent Buffalo scripts from altering anything at all whether I'm rebooting, manipulating smb.conf (and others), etc. and I haven't dug deep enough to trip over such things just yet, but I'm guessing it'll be one or more within etc/init.d being called by webui.

Regarding "...can't create a new share..." and your example, it's actually a little more problematic than that - I cannot speak for all models, but for the LS series, when optware is installed (regardless of the drive layout and/or RAID configuration) it's installed into /mnt/disk1/.optware and that "recovery" process also seems to be monitoring directories within /mnt/[drive] as it somehow throws off existing shares by saving their locations as <>pictures<>/opt<> where it was originally <>pictures<>disk1<> as I'm speculating this being due to /opt being mounted to say md#01 where originally disk1 was mounted to that location. If running Array1 instead, it gets even more sticky where the 3TB loss came into the picture as it broke the array - on both drives. (XFS isn't very useful for file recovery, either...)

Any pointers as to which files are running the show would be tremendously appreciated!

Hardware: Linkstation 441 and 221 running stock firmware and altered running OS

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!