Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:44 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:36 pm 
Total Newbie

Hi,

I have a Linkstation 410D. It's been running successfully for months. I've been transferring content to it using scp and logging in at the command line using ssh.

Last weekend the status light started flashing orange so I updated the firmware. It's now running 1.34-0.95.

But now I can't ssh or scp to the box. I get a "connection refused" message. It still serves content fine and I can access the web interface without problems. It's only ssh/scp that seems to have been disabled.

Poking around the web interface, I can't see any obvious way to turn ssh on again.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dave...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:24 pm 

try the way from ls420

http://forum.nas-hilfe.de/buffalo-technology-nas-anleitungen/ssh-freischalten-auf-einer-ls421de-t2165.html

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:14 pm 
Total Newbie

Thanks, I'll need to work on my German first :-/

But my main point was that this used to Just Work. I didn't have to do anything to get it working before. But the firmware upgrade seems to have disabled it. Why would that happen?

Also, I can't seem to find release notes for firmware version 1.34-0.95. Do Buffalo publish details of firmware upgrades.

Thanks,

Dave...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:40 pm 

Download and read the release note

Quote:
LinkStation Firmware Updater Version 1.80 Name LinkStation Series Firmware Updater Version 1.80 File ls400-180en.zip Size 204,398,182 Bytes Date February 25, 2015 Platform Windows PC OS Windows XP, Windows Vista (32-bit and 64-bit), Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit), Windows 8 (32-bit and 64-bit), Windows 8.1 (32-bit and 64-bit), Windows Server 2008 / Server 2012 Models LS410D, LS420D, LS421DE, LS441D, LS441DE Series Copyright Buffalo Inc. Distribution ZIP archive by WinRAR Condition Re-distribution is not allowed. Manuals Quick Setup Guide, Reference Guide This product uses GPL/LGPL applicable software. You are welcome to have, modify, and redistribute the source code. Please ask our technical support about modified GPL and applicable modules. Note: You may be charged for shipping and handling. [Software Description] This software updates the LinkStation firmware to version 1.80. If your firmware is already version 1.80 or later, you do not need this update. Note: If your LinkStation is in EM mode, this firmware update might recover it. [How to Check Your Firmware Version] Select your LinkStation from the NAS Navigator2 window. The firmware version is displayed in the bottom right corner of the screen. If the name is in the form LS-***-EM***, the LinkStation is in EM (emergency) mode. [Notes] - Please consult technical support or your local representative if the firmware update causes unexpected problems. - Do not turn the unit off until the update is finished. The update takes several minutes. - Newer LinkStation firmwares may cause the following message to appear in NAS Navigator2: "I52:Unknown error occurred" If this message appears, update NAS Navigator2 to the latest version. [How to Update the Firmware] 1. Connect the LinkStation properly and configure the LinkStation and a computer to run the updater on the same network subnet. The subnet masks should be the same and the first three numbers of the IP addresses should be the same. The last number of the IP addresses should be different. For example, if the IP address and subnet mask of the computer are " 192.168.0.10 , 255.255.255.0 " and the IP address and subnet mask of the LinkStation are " 192.168.1.150 , 255.255.255.0 " then the updater will _not_ work properly. In this case, reconfigure the LinkStation's IP address and subnet mask to " 192.168.0.150 , 255.255.255.0 ". Then they will be on the same subnet and the updater will work properly.
2. Close all applications. Also, stop or exit any firewall software. 3. Extract the downloaded file and run "LSUpdater.exe". When a LinkStation is detected, an update window will open. 4. Select the LinkStation to update if multiple LinkStation are connected. 5. Click "Update" and enter the LinkStation's admin password. 6. Click "OK". 7. Transferring and updating the firmware will start. Wait until it finishes. The info LED will blink during the update. 8. When the update is complete, a message will be displayed.
[Version History] Version 1.80 [2015.2.25] Added and Modified Features - Settings is now supported for mobile devices. - Modified so that the RAID array is rebuilt after a complete drive format. Bug Fixes - Fixed a bug where the email notification did not work properly during RAID scanning. - Fixed a bug where NAS did not respond during a disk check if the unit contained too many files. - Fixed a bug where changing recycle bin settings took a long time. - Fixed a bug where some help text on Settings were not displayed correctly. - Fixed a bug where the DLNA sever did not start on LS421DE and LS441DE models. Version 1.74 [2015.1.8] Bug Fixes - Modified to deal with the OpenSSL programing vulnerabilities (CVE2014-3567 and CVE-2014-0224) that are also know as the POODLE (SSL 3.0) vulnerability. - Modified to deal with the OpenSSL programing vulnerability (CVE-20140224) that is also know as the "CCS Injection" vulnerability. - Modified to deal with the Samba security vulnerabilities which the service was blocked by a CPU loop and CPU resource consumption, and a denial of service may be effected because the CPU utilization will go up to 100% (CVE-2014-0244 and CVE-2014-3498). Version 1.73 [2014.10.6] Bug Fixes - Modified to deal with vulnerabilities of Bash programming which allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary commands (CVE-2014-6271 and CVE2014-7169). Version 1.72 [2014.9.29] Modified Features - Changed the default AFP setting from "Enabled" to "Disabled". - Reduced the boot time. Bug Fixes - Fixed a bug where NAND recovery did not work immediately if the function button is pressed while booting in EM mode. - Fixed a bug where the default gateway could not be configured from NAS Navigator2.
- Fixed a bug where the RAID rebuild did not finish if a blank drive was in the array. - Fixed a bug where the message "Unable to format the drive" was displayed if a drive with too many files (more than a million) was formatted. - Fixed a bug where the copy target folder for Direct Copy could not be configured. Version 1.70 [2014.7.30] - New release.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:51 pm 
Total Newbie

Hi,

I’m running the old firmware version 1.30-0.85 (default installed on my new unit).
I have enabled ssh and have no problems with reset pwd after reboots.

Does anyone know if I still can have ssh access and keep the root pwd (after reboots) if I upgrade to a later firmware version?
Anyone tried on the latest v1.80 for example? I really need all the security patches applied from the later versions and still have ssh/rsync enabled.

Thanks in advance!