Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:20 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:26 pm 

Hello,

Does any one have tried to install Twonky 7.0.5 on linkstation pro with firmware 1.64 Mod1.
I've tried to install it following this procedure with NO luck using telnet:

1) download the binaries from the website
2) stop twonky service, change to disable and restart
3) move /usr/local/twonky & twonky-alt to twonky.old twonky-alt.old
4) unzip the binaries to a twonky & twonky-alt folder
5) change the filsystem permissions accordingly
6) change the /etc/init.d twonky.sh script for the one included in the binaries

Twonkyserver either executing /etc/init.d/twonky.sh start or twonkystarter crashes all the time in some kind of endless loop.
Twonkyproxy and twonkywebdav starts ok.

Ideas? Thanks in advance,
Santiago.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:43 pm 

Hi sjusto,

Why don't you try my answer to your other post? (viewtopic.php?f=68&t=23603&p=160311#p160311)

Also, why are you trying to install 7.0.5 when 7.0.9 and 7.0.11 are more recent?

The twonky.sh script included in the zip file will not work properly because it is a generic linux script and some of the commands it uses do not work on the linkstation.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:27 pm 

ColinTaylor wrote:
Hi sjusto,

Why don't you try my answer to your other post? (viewtopic.php?f=68&t=23603&p=160311#p160311)

Also, why are you trying to install 7.0.5 when 7.0.9 and 7.0.11 are more recent?

The twonky.sh script included in the zip file will not work properly because it is a generic linux script and some of the commands it uses do not work on the linkstation.

Hey Colin,
Thanks for your reply, I will read the information posted on that link and post the reply.
Actually I tried with the three of them, but no luck.
Anyway I'll try with the latest version.
Regarding the twonky.sh, I've tried modifiying the original one also... but I'm not good enough...
Nevertheless, I'll keep trying, thanks again.

Regards,
Santiago.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:24 pm 

If you follow the instructions we created for Twonky 7.0.8/7.0.9 you will see that it includes a link to download a working version of twonky.sh

You will also note my observation that 7.0.11 & 7.0.12 were unstable for me whereas 7.0.9 has been rock solid.

Good Luck

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:14 pm 

ColinTaylor wrote:
If you follow the instructions we created for Twonky 7.0.8/7.0.9 you will see that it includes a link to download a working version of twonky.sh

You will also note my observation that 7.0.11 & 7.0.12 were unstable for me whereas 7.0.9 has been rock solid.

Good Luck

Colin,

Thanks for your help. Yesterday I followed your instructions and worked as a Charm.
After watching a couple of movies, I detected the stability issue with 7.0.11 - My Samsung TV disconnects from twonky -, so I'll be downgrading to 7.0.9 today.

Besides that, I have a couple of questions if you don't mind:
1) Why do I have to use the Kirkwood version instead of the one that it seems to be for the Linkstation Pro? This seems to be kind of misleading..
2) I've thinking about compiling PLEX server to run into my LS (Usually I don't have a clue about all the movies that I have and I would like to have a server running that shows me additional data about them - Ideally would be something like XBMC but I never found something like that, that works on client/server approach and it can run on a NAS-. Have you heard of anything like this? Someone that already tried something may be?
Thanks and regards,
Santiago.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:20 pm 

Hi sjusto,

I'm glad you got it to work.

I'm no expert on Linkstations, only having had a LS-XL for less than a year, but as far as I can tell Buffalo have a habit a reusing product names for later generations of hardware. So, I believe the Linkstation Pro version of Twonky is for older hardware based on the Orion chipset whereas the current hardware uses the Kirkwood chipset.

I think your Samsung disconnecting is a common problem. I don't know for sure so you'll have to do a bit of searching to see if that's the case.

Sorry, I don't know anything about PLEX.

Colin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:33 pm 

ColinTaylor wrote:
Hi sjusto,

I'm glad you got it to work.

I'm no expert on Linkstations, only having had a LS-XL for less than a year, but as far as I can tell Buffalo have a habit a reusing product names for later generations of hardware. So, I believe the Linkstation Pro version of Twonky is for older hardware based on the Orion chipset whereas the current hardware uses the Kirkwood chipset.

I think your Samsung disconnecting is a common problem. I don't know for sure so you'll have to do a bit of searching to see if that's the case.

Sorry, I don't know anything about PLEX.

Colin

Colin,
Thanks for all your help.
Everything seems to be working just fine after downgrading t 7.0.9.
I'll research a little bit more and see if I can move forward with my plex initiative.
If I need to do so, I'll create another post for it.
Best regards and thanks again.
Santiago

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:55 pm 

Hi sjusto,

I notice that there is a Plex package for Synology ARM-based NAS's so you could try extracting the binaries out of that. It might save you from having to compile it yourself.

For example, download PlexMediaServer-0.9.7.11.386-d353989-arm.spk and put it in /mnt/disk1/share. Then:

Code:
# groupadd -r plex
# useradd -r -g plex -c "Plex Media Server" -d /mnt/disk1/share/plex plex

# cd /mnt/disk1/share
# tar -xzvf PlexMediaServer-0.9.7.11.386-d353989-arm.spk package.tgz
# rm PlexMediaServer-0.9.7.11.386-d353989-arm.spk

# mkdir plex
# chown plex:plex plex
# cd plex
# tar -xzvf ../package.tgz
# rm ../package.tgz

<remove en_US.UTF-8 from start.sh>

# su plex
# ./start.sh

It looks like you'll have to comment out the en_US.UTF-8 locale stuff in start.sh to get it to run..

I suspect the linkstation might be too underpowered to run it effectively.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:46 am 

Quote:
Deleted unnecessary full quote. (Moderator)

It worked???