Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:41 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:24 am 

My Linkstation ls-vl arrived about 2 weeks ago, I just bought new seagate barracuda 1tb 7200 hard drive 2 days ago and mount it as the seller described at manual pdf (http://www.mediafire.com/file/2fdz6mc83b7bk3d/Setup_Guide_Buffalo_LS_ict360_V1.8.pdf). I followed the guide step by step 50 times or more, but its still not working :(. Let me explain whats happening and someone guide me to finish the job please. When i turn the nas on, it starts with blue light blinking, after a while it turns to red light blinking 6 times. By pressing function button the light turns to blinking blue again, and tftp screen shows nothing. Im sure that i did everything from the guide. I completely uninstalled antivirus programs and turned off firewall, changed ip to 192.168.11.1 but i never get to 1.8 part of the guide. Im sure that the hard drive i bought was unpartitioned as it was new and i opened the package. I decided to look anyway. I tried using windows administative tool, knoppix live linux, gparted live linux and windows installation disks to delete partition. Same result everytime. I dont know if any of those software neccesary the seller never send me the link for the Essential software to rebuild the HDD.

My friends i wasted more than 10 hours today and cant make it work, i wasted my weekend holiday for it. Can someone please point me some good guide that i can follow and make it work? i tried to use 3 different pc's in case of the one i use not working, different hubs, cables even creating the partitions under knoppix and copy boot files, but i got 7 reds this time. Im affraid that its totally bricked and it will need jtag at the end. please can someone help me as soon as possible please...Thanks...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:35 am 

It stay with 6 red flashes and din`t take anything with tftp? I solved this in another way. I put my hdd in my old ls-chl and i tftp this one and after i took out and put in ls-vl. But is another way... more simple:

Installation guide
http://www.mediafire.com/file/oky5mudk5 ... d_V1.2.pdf

Operating System Image
http://www.mediafire.com/file/oh4m86rfr ... ies143.rar

I hope this will help you.

I think that was the same seller from ebay...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:30 am 

Hey zod; i followed the guide but i got stuck again, i think my knowlegde about the linux is not enough. The guide doesnt mention about the partition table that will be used on new drive, so i leave the drive unpartitioned but Clonezilla gave me partition doesnt exist error, i tried to match the settings from the guide. The Clonezilla section on page 3 shows;

sdb1 1024mb ext3
sdb2 5120mb ext3
sdb3 1049kb primary
sdb4 1049kb primary
sdb6 1985gb xfs

On the ''usb-initio-wd20earx-00pasbs'' which is WD caviar black 2tb hard drive. Went to Gparted and created first 4 partitions, but Gparted doesnt allow me to make more than 4 partitions, the only way to do is creating extended partition then you can create more. Anyway, Clonezilla failed again but i got first four partitions. I put it back to the LS and i got flashing blue light for aprox 2 mins then 2 long two short red lights, no firmware upgrade available through tftp. I opened the guide again. On page 6 there is a Gparted table that shows the cloned hard drive,

sdc1 977mb ext3
sdc2 4.77gb ext3
sdc3 1mb unknown (what are those unknown partitions anyway?)
sdc4 1mb unknown
sdc5 977mb linux-swap

Same problem here, clonezilla doesnt even see the partitions created after extended partitions so it failed to clone them. I spent all night again and im very exhausted. there must be some way to fix it. im doing something wrong or the guides im following are mistaken, i dont know, i hope somebody can show what im doing wrong or point me some new information. anyway i got to sleep now, i emailed the seller and waiting for his response...godd night everybody...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:39 am 

Do NOT use a regular partition table (aka. MBR). Use a GUID partition
tabel (aka. GPT).
All the kirkwood based boxes (to my knowledge) use GPT and not MBR
partition tables any more.

If there is no verified backup of a dataset, the dataset, by definition, is unimportant. (c't 2012)

RAID (no matter which level) never ever substitutes a backup. (me)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:40 pm 

heyyy :))) thanks for everyone, i finally make it work. one last question, after cloning the HD can browse LS with Nasnavigator and it shows fw version 1.43. I tried to upgrade using Lsupdater in DEBUG mode, unfortunately it got stuck after the reboot and gave me red light again. So i should clone the disk again to make it work. How can i upgrade to higher version?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:50 pm 

I upgraded at 1.56 after that without problems... My advice is to try again..

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:44 pm 

I also gained LS-VL have ict360 without HDD.
I installed hdd Seagate Barracuda LP ST2000DL003 which has a cluster size of 4096.
At first I tried to format and install the software with the help of the suggested ict360 programs (TFTP Boot Recovery and Firmware_ls_series-156) for instructions
Buffalo LinkStation NAS Setup Guide-Ict360 V1.8.
I have connected LS-VL directly to the computer. In the process of installation, I found that :
- TFTP Boot Recovery works only the Gigabit Ethernet port.
- after the transition in the EM regime in a short period of time the IP address of the 192.168.11.1 c mask 255.255.255.0 changes to dynamic 169.254.x.x c mask of 255.255.0.0
In the process of updating flew error about the inaccessibility of the LS-VL. I installed on your computer IP address in the 169.254.x.x c mask of 255.255.0.0, but in the process of working with Firmware_ls_series-156 address of a new dynamically changed to another. If it was possible to copy the files during the install them came out a message
ACP_STATE_FAILURE .
Then on this forum I found out that the ict360 the whole image of the hdd for the LS-VL. I downloaded it and installed.
LS-VL earned with firmware 1.43. I plugged it into the network through a router D-Link DIR320 with the firmware from DD-WRT. When I tried to upgrade it to version 1.56 via the web interface indicator on it constantly lit up orange. After 20 minutes, LS-VL lost in the network. The WEB page is not changed. I waited for 20 hours of the completion of the firmware update, but the results so not received. When I tried to update it with the help of Firmware_ls_series-156, but as a result of updating the Ethernet interface is disabled ( when the led of the Ethernet port blinks twice briefly and one for a long time), or a message appears ACP_STATE_FAILURE.
Waiting for your help.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:11 pm 

There are loads of posts that clearly state that a running DHCP server
is a must for a successful TFTP recovery by noobs.
Restart from scratch and use a DHCP server and not direct connection.

If there is no verified backup of a dataset, the dataset, by definition, is unimportant. (c't 2012)

RAID (no matter which level) never ever substitutes a backup. (me)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:16 pm 

Your option I think is not suitable. My router 10/100 ethernet works, and TFTP works with Gigabit Ethernet.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:25 pm 

i beleive you should try ketanonline sugestion, during the flash process ls restarts and tries to get ip from dhcp server. your pc also should be set automatic ip adress. try again with auto ip settings, im here and will help as much as i can do...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:16 pm 

I tried your option. To boot from the TFTP EM mode via Gigabit ethernet and switched to a router with DHCP. Before that deleted all the partitions on the HDD. Run LS_update. He offers me format the HDD/ In the beginning of the formatting LS-VL reboots and goes out of EM regime. The format of the error. When I ran the upgrade without formatting after the installation of the kernel crashes message about ACP_Stait_failure.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:20 pm 

no, just make it like that. install cloned image and earn 1.43, set dhcp server on for both ls-vl and pc, your pc and ls-vl should take their ip's from that dhcp server, then open web management login with admin=admin, password=pasword, find firmware update and update from there. ls-vl will show amber led during the update and restarts. make sure that your pc can take ip from dhcp and you can reach internet, if so ls-vl is the same and it can upgrade itself using web management. you do not need to use tftp or ls_update for this, just will need nasnavigator to find your ls-vl on network if you dont know what ip's dhcp server gave to clients. you can open web management and can see your shares on ls-vl. hope this helps, good luck on that. by the way do you know what solid orange led means on ls-vl? i experience that now :/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:46 pm 

new firmware update available... If you will enter on webif, popup window will appear...

look here:

viewtopic.php?f=79&t=25325

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:40 pm 

Hi all
I think I found the cause of their failures. I opened the image to your blank disk, created a folder, Share, and tried to copy it over the network files of different sizes. Small files are written well, and the large more than 200 MB is not completely copied.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:11 pm 
Total Newbie

Does anyone have a copy of the Installation guide and the Operating System Image that zod posted? I'm in a similar predicament with my LS-VL where I replaced the drive, got it to pull the 2 files from TFTP, ran LSUpdater but then it either just hangs or flashes 6 red lights at me again.