Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:39 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: CS-WV to LS-WVL
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:56 am 
Total Newbie

Hi there,

I've received an old Cloudstation CS-WV unit. I received it without any drives, so had plenty of practice with tftpboot and flashing the firmware. It's all up and running but I'm interested in seeing what features the LS-WVL has over the CS-WV. It's not being used for anything so no concerns with continually wiping it in order to try different things.

I've seen various comments that it's possible to convert the Cloudstation to a Linkstation but nothing detailing how. As both machines are so old and no longer sold, I just wondered if anyone can post how?

Last night I enabled ssh and used the dumpnf command to see what that was. It gave a PID of 0x0000300A as expected. I used setnf to change that to 0x00003008 (LS-WVL) along with a few things such as series and model name. I put a blank HDD in and when I put it in EM, NasNavigator displayed it, but with a name of "None". I tried to flash LS-WVL firmware, which it took but I couldn't get it to boot once it had completed. I switched the HDD back to one with CS-WV firmware and it booted straight into the Cloudstation firmware. I used setnf to restore everything to how it was.
Have I gone about it the wrong way? Or made a silly mistake somewhere?

Post subject: Re: CS-WV to LS-WVL
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:30 pm 

try this way

Code:
dumpnf > /tmp/nas_feature

sed -i 's/PID=0x0000300A/PID=0x00003008/g' /tmp/nas_feature

sed -i 's/NAS_FEATURE_VERSION=0.0.0/NAS_FEATURE_VERSION=3.0.0/g' /tmp/nas_feature

setnf < /tmp/nas_feature

Post subject: Re: CS-WV to LS-WVL
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:49 pm 
Total Newbie

That did it! I wasn't changing NAS_FEATURE_VERSION. All loaded without a problem.

Quite interesting I can go back and forth between Cloudstor and Linkstation simply by swapping the Hard Drive now.

Out of interest, all the flags in nas_feature from dumpnf - other than PID what are they actually used for?
For example, I've changed RAID0 from 0 to 1 and just installing the firmware now to see the outcome. Will RAID0 be an option for me now, or is that still controlled through firmware, ultimately controlled by the PID flag?