Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:59 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:44 pm 

mnatiello wrote:
Hallo

Thank you for your answer. I'm glad to have you listening on the other side.

I know the feeling. I hope I can help you.
mnatiello wrote:
Quote:
On lines 178-187, the fstab file you mentioned, can you remember what the content was you gave in before you rebooted? Can you confirm you actually want your NAS in RAID0? If you want to run it different, it's easiest to change with the buffalo web interface.

No, no. My mistake. I want RAID1. I explain the whole procedure here below.

OK, got it.

mnatiello wrote:
Quote:
What firmware are you running? I am surprised to read that your stock firmware is using ext3 instead of xfs. As far as I know, xfs is default on the LS-WVL.

OK, here there might be something, hope you discover it for me...
After bricking my NAS I formatted the disks on another computer with gparted as suggested by
kenatonline in post 4 of viewtopic.php?f=77&t=24581
Actually, the partitions I have now are copied from your suggestion at
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=26775&start=15#p161745
I configure both disks exactly the same.
Then I reinstall the firmware 164mod1a downloaded from the site you suggested on disk 1.
I also follow kenatonline here.
Next, reboot the NAS and run LSUpdater.exe under wine on my unix machine.
After that I have a new working NAS with 1.64 firmware, Raid0 and root access.
However, I want to install debian on a RAID1 configuration. Here I start following your guide.
In Step 1 one initiates the RAID1 setup, interupts it to skip the 980 minutes wait, and restarts the
NAS with disk 2 removed. I am in that situation right now: I've done lines 102-104 of your guide
http://pastebin.com/H6rEZ5ge
and I am ready to start step 3.

That explains! I have updated my guide on TFTP for the LS-WVL here: http://pastebin.com/5sY24CTQ My procedure is slightly different than you described: I only delete the partitions, I do not recreate them. I do this with both drives, re-insert both drives in the NAS and boot. The NAS will now boot in EM mode. If your next try also results in a bricked NAS, could you use my guide to unbrick it? I am curious of the buffalo firmware (shonks mod1) formats the drive as xfs (I am fairly certain it does).

mnatiello wrote:

Now, to the files:

Quote:
Can you also give me the output of the mdadm.conf file (with cat)?

Code:
root@Nas:~# cat /etc/mdadm.conf
ARRAY /dev/md0 UUID=efa653c5:5643d352:b78fdf7e:1eae21f5
ARRAY /dev/md/1 metadata=1.2 UUID=ed9ac047:86b49608:2380fe0b:2169e16a name=LS-WVL-EM44E:1
ARRAY /dev/md/10 metadata=1.2 UUID=4768c187:c02d02c3:77e273b0:5e26b024 name=LS-WVL-EM44E:10
ARRAY /dev/md/2 metadata=1.2 UUID=7d5ccedc:af32d432:27aa3914:17a032ff name=Nas:2

Same arrays as mine. Should not be a problem here.
mnatiello wrote:

The file /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf contains just one line:
PROGRAM /usr/local/sbin/handle-mdadm-events.sh

Buffalo modified /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf. We are copying /etc/mdadm.conf (I double checked it just now). This is good.
mnatiello wrote:

Code:
root@Nas:~# cat /etc/fstab
/dev/root       /               ext3    defaults        1 1
proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0 0
devpts         /dev/pts    devpts     gid=4,mode=620 0    0

Code:
root@Nas:~# ls -l /dev/root /dev/md1
brw-r-----    1 root     disk       9,   1 May  2  2013 /dev/md1
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            3 May  2  2013 /dev/root -> md1

I see that your boot partition is not mounted anywhere
mnatiello wrote:

Quote:
Also, please cat /etc/mdstat

My NAS does not have that file:
Code:
cat: can't open '/etc/mdstat': No such file or directory

Can you locate the file with find?
Code:
find / -name mdstat

mnatiello wrote:

I do hope you find out what I'm doing wrong.
Thanks again
MNatiello

I hope. Some things that come to mind:
* As stated before, your boot partition is not mounted anywhere according to /etc/fstab. Maybe buffalo software is mounting it, but can you check your (stock) NAS directory contents of /boot/ ? The guide is copying files from it as preperation for the debian installation, so I assume it's accessible. But also important: In Step5: Installation we are replacing boot files (initrd). If boot is not mounted to /boot/, we can't replace them. Please post the output of mount so we can check it.
* The fstab file you create for debian: You told me that you formatted /dev/md2 to ext3, but the fstab file is xfs. It is possible that the kernel has a conflict here. You told me you are now on a fresh stock firmware and your partitions are formatted as ext3. If this is still the case, replace everything in my guide that is mentioning xfs with ext3 and give it a go.. Worst thing that could happen is that you brick it ;)
* Are you using DHCP? In your DHCP server, do you have your NAS set to a fixed IP? I can recommend this, this way you can not 'loose' your NAS. I have updated Step 5: Installation with this:
Quote:
# In this guide, you will reboot three times. From here on, the LEDs will not function anymore. Your blue
# LED will continue to blink rapidly as if the NAS is still booting. This is normal. The only way to check
# whether your NAS is done booting is by pinging it. Make sure you have your NAS set to a fixed IP address
# on DHCP (or configured so in /etc/network/interfaces) and continue to ping it. On linux/mac:
# ping x.x.x.x
# On windows use -t. This way ping will continue more than 4 times:
# ping x.x.x.x -t
# Abort ping with CTRL+C

I hope this helps you to the next phase! I will check in again tomorrow around lunch, and diner.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:14 pm 

[SOLVED]
OK, what I tried didn't work, but I found the error. I was using eth1 for the network device, but it
is eth0. Changing that, I could use your guide without problems, all the way to fan control, recover
the raid1 array and webmin. Full satisfaction.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:44 pm 

Will the patches work on 3.9 kernel?

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 1:14 pm 

Thanks to your outstanding instructions, I have my Buffalo LS-WVL working the way I want :)
You did a fantastic job documenting all the steps.
Thanks !

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:56 pm 

mnatiello wrote:
[SOLVED]
OK, what I tried didn't work, but I found the error. I was using eth1 for the network device, but it
is eth0. Changing that, I could use your guide without problems, all the way to fan control, recover
the raid1 array and webmin. Full satisfaction.

Great! Glad to hear it. Have fun with your NAS :)

Can you document the type of LS-WVL you have? I am surpised to hear that you had to use eth0, whilst I am using eth1.

katossi wrote:
Will the patches work on 3.9 kernel?

I am not sure, they should. Try at your own risk :) Don't you just love empty answers? Sorry ;)

xoy74 wrote:
Thanks to your outstanding instructions, I have my Buffalo LS-WVL working the way I want :)
You did a fantastic job documenting all the steps.
Thanks !

Nice! Thank you! How many times did you have to walk through the guide?

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:02 pm 

Quote:
Can you document the type of LS-WVL you have? I am surprised to hear that you had to use eth0, whilst I am using eth1.

It is a Buffalo LS-WVL44E with 2 disks of 2TB each. The firmware was originally 1.62 but after
bricking it, I installed 1.64mod1a as suggested in the guides.
Please indicate which other type of documentation from the NAS you would like.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:06 pm 

By the way, I have another question.

With this kernel it appears that one could use wheezy instead of squeeze. The drawback with
squeeze is that certain software is not there or at least I couldn't find it (e.g. fuse, autofs).
Is it safe to change squeeze->wheezy in /etc/apt/sources.list and upgrade?

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:23 pm 

VolleMelk wrote:
Nice! Thank you! How many times did you have to walk through the guide?

For the part before re-compiling the kernel actually I've done it 3 or 4 times and used a combination of your instructions and the ones at http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Deb ... and_others).
It was always failing at the step where it's supposed to replace the /root file system, probably because the partition table was different than expected. So I did that part in a different way: I used an x86 desktop with Debian to partition the HDD manually the way I wanted, then copied Buffalo's original content of the /boot partition, while on the /root partition I manually extracted the squeeze-armel-rootfs.tgz file.
After that the NAS booted properly and I was able to continue with building the kernel.
One advantage (for me, at least) of installing it this way is that I was able to format the HDD using a MBR partition table rather than GPT. For me, the MBR is easier to manage and I really don't see the point of GPT for drives smaller than 2TB.
Luckily, the uboot installed on the Linkstation WVL can handle both partitioning schemes.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:27 pm 

VolleMelk wrote:
Can you document the type of LS-WVL you have? I am surpised to hear that you had to use eth0, whilst I am using eth1.

BTW, my NAS also uses eth0. Mine was originally a CloudStor Pro that I converted at some point to LS-WVL and I don't think it has NAND.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:54 am 

VolleMelk wrote:
Hello all,

I would like to use this topic to share what I've learned getting Debian Squeeze on my LS-WVL with a vanilla kernel, patched to work with the LS-WVL. I wanted to give my NAS his brains back, and now I can run OpenVPN. I've been using this for a week now, and it's very stable and responsive. In short: I can recommend this guide to everyone!

Hi VolleMelk ,can these will work on LS-WXL?

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:04 pm 

mnatiello wrote:
By the way, I have another question.

With this kernel it appears that one could use wheezy instead of squeeze. The drawback with
squeeze is that certain software is not there or at least I couldn't find it (e.g. fuse, autofs).
Is it safe to change squeeze->wheezy in /etc/apt/sources.list and upgrade?

I suppose so. The kernel works fine with both LS-WVL hardware and wheezy. Worst thing that could happen is that you brick it ;) Just try it.

xoy74 wrote:
VolleMelk wrote:

BTW, my NAS also uses eth0. Mine was originally a CloudStor Pro that I converted at some point to LS-WVL and I don't think it has NAND.

I will edit the guide and add both eth0 and eth1

sniper99999 wrote:
VolleMelk wrote:
Hello all,

I would like to use this topic to share what I've learned getting Debian Squeeze on my LS-WVL with a vanilla kernel, patched to work with the LS-WVL. I wanted to give my NAS his brains back, and now I can run OpenVPN. I've been using this for a week now, and it's very stable and responsive. In short: I can recommend this guide to everyone!

Hi VolleMelk ,can these will work on LS-WXL?

As far as I know yes, the guide is mainly based off a guide for the LS-WXL here: http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Deb ... _on_LS-WXL Compare the two guides, and see what works best for you. Good luck :)

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:11 am 
Total Newbie

Hi VolleMelk, hato, and anybody who've done this.

Thank you very VERY much for the excellent work. I'm happy because I don't have to rely on buffalo's source any more,
and can deal with later kernel.

For those who are still interested in how to get power switch status, hopefully following helps.
Actually I don't think it is useful very much though.

Rebuild kernel with CONFIG_INPUT_EVDEV=y
Device Drivers --->
Input device support --->
<*> Event interface
in addition to lswvl_config_by_hato.config

After reboot, you will find an event file /dev/input/event0. Then following simple script is supposed to work.
All you need more is just reboot when switch status is "off". However, since I have not tested enough,
please monitor for a while changing position without actual halt/reboot so the script catches events
correctly, otherwise your WVL reboots or shuts down unexpectedly.

Code:
#!/bin/bash

while :; do

# BTN_0(FUNC)
    evtest /dev/input/event0 --query EV_KEY 256
    FUNC_ST=$?

# BTN_1(POWER)
    evtest /dev/input/event0 --query EV_KEY 257
    POW_ST=$?

# BTN_2(AUTO)
    evtest /dev/input/event0 --query EV_KEY 258
    AUTO_ST=$?

if   [ $POW_ST -eq 10 -a $AUTO_ST -eq 0 ]; then
        SW="on"
    elif [ $POW_ST -eq 0 -a $AUTO_ST -eq 10 ]; then
        SW="auto"
    elif [ $POW_ST -eq 0 -a $AUTO_ST -eq 0 ]; then
        SW="off"
    elif [ $POW_ST -eq 10 -a $AUTO_ST -eq 10 ]; then
        SW="unknown"
    fi

sleep 5
done

A quick question is looks to me netconsole boot log http://pastebin.com/0wNJn1vB
includes all the dmesg from the beginning. While mine does not include early
stage before kernel starts network logging. Is there any tweak to get a full log
in the kernel ring buffer to netconsole?

Again, thanks a lot for the work. I really appreciate it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:20 am 

thanks for Sharing! but could share a none RAID guide for us! i want follow this guide ,but brick my nas times again
I have tried
1: http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Deb ... _others%29
when i reboot ,power led blinking and switch-off doesn't work! i have tried to clean all partition

2:http://forum.xtdv-group.com/thread_36__debian_squeeze_6_0_danh_cho_nas_buffalo_cai_dat_don_gian_su_dung_ngay

this rom can be flash by LSUpdater ,i have tried ,when finished ,it can be reboot normally ,but when switch off and power on ,it brick into EM mod,

my nas have nano Flash ,and the disk only i have is:WD20EZRX

I 'm from China so may be not good at english ,known something about linux,and uesd Fedora on my PC before,and i'm very intrest in Debian on my NAS ,can you help me ?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:47 am 

hbhcdm wrote:
...I have tried
when i reboot ,power led blinking and switch-off doesn't work! i have tried to clean all partition
...[/b]

This seems to be the already known problem of bltools. The box starts
but the led will not stop to blink due to a missing command to do so.
The same is true for the switch.
You need some patches to the lsmonitor script to solve this.
Search the forum for this patches; I think I can remember, that someone
posted the necessary patches for recent Buffalo kernels.

If there is no verified backup of a dataset, the dataset, by definition, is unimportant. (c't 2012)

RAID (no matter which level) never ever substitutes a backup. (me)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:19 pm 

kenatonline wrote:
hbhcdm wrote:
...I have tried
...[/b]

This seems to be the already known problem of bltools. The box starts
but the led will not stop to blink due to a missing command to do so.
The same is true for the switch.
You need some patches to the lsmonitor script to solve this.
Search the forum for this patches; I think I can remember, that someone
posted the necessary patches for recent Buffalo kernels.

Thanks for replay !i'm not good at english ,can you please help me to find that patches? i had been persecuted by this problem for a week!