Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:05 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:33 am 

I have put some "Clarification Needed" blocks in the wiki guide page "Debian Squeeze on 'V' and 'X' Series (LS-WXL and others)". Could someone experienced please take a look at the guide and clarify on those points?

I've followed all the steps up to the "Reboot" step. I currently have RAID0 setup on the device, but I rather want to have two independent drives installed, i.e. no RAID. If I reboot without having installed mdadm in Debian-Squeeze is that going to cause problems?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:49 am 

Well, I can confirm that this prevented the LS from rebooting. After restarting it went through a period of the "INFO/ERROR" LED blinking orange, and the tried to reboot (flashing blue POWER LED), and then restarted again with the same thing, and then again, etc. I'm guessing that it's a problem with the fact that I had the device in RAID0, but didn't configure Debian-Squeeze for RAID.

To sort this out I'm going to have to start from scratch again, I assume, i.e. wipe the drives and install the firmware and all that again. Pity.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:51 am 

I haven't installed Debian on one of my "X" or "V" boxes, but your "clarification needed"
boxes (at least the first one), show a lack of reading of all the available infos for the boxes.
But I don't want to blame you for this, because it is definitely not the case, that we (as
authors of Wiki articles) spend a lot of time to describe the relations between articels,
although setting some links should not be that difficult. But in this case, the most important
link IS set.
But if you are dealing with some stuff for months/years, you take too much for granted
nevertheless it would have been necessary to explain in more detail for noobs.
Unfortunately the stuff noobs are looking for are click-by-click guides where one can
shutdown its brain and not each of the articels in our Wiki is written for this kind
of "user". ;)

First box:
It doesn't matter in which directory you download the stuff via wget, as long as you don't
clutter the previous content. That is a usual way to deal with some installation stuff in a
Unix-oid environment.
The command right after the wget does an installation of the debootstrap package you just
downloaded.
Then you create a new directory where all the debootstrap stuff will be done in.
Again, it doesn't matter where to do this, as long as you do not "reuse" an already existing
directory "debian-squeeze".

Second box:
You did not read this article although it is linked in the Wiki at the correct place:
http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Analysis_of_the_ARM9_boot_process
Your "problem" arised because it seems as if you never updated your box to a more current
firmware. Therefore you didn't find the *.updated.done" stuff.
I assume that the originator wanted the user to keep a backup of the hddrootfs and initrd
stuff.

Third box:
And again: Read this article to understand what happens during a boot of a LS box:
http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Analysis_of_the_ARM9_boot_process

You now should be able to clarify the boxes yourself and make the Wiki article more
noob friendly. :up:

Regarding the RAID stuff:
You should read some background information about software RAID in Linux environments.
I do not own a multi disk LS, so I can't say for sure if more than the data partition is in RAID
mode. But if it would be that case, the failure was unavoidable.
A partition prepared for software RAID can not be read by a system not configured to deal
with RAID.
The Wiki article does not deal with RAID, beside the installation of mdadm.
You should have changed the configuration of your box to a non RAID one before or configure
the Debian within its chroot environment to deal with your RAID configuration.
I do not believe in RAID, so please don't ask me for advise for configuration. Maybe someone
else can step in here?

If there is no verified backup of a dataset, the dataset, by definition, is unimportant. (c't 2012)

RAID (no matter which level) never ever substitutes a backup. (me)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:38 pm 

Thanks very much for taking the time to put that reply together. I really appreciate it. You're right that I could have taken more time to try to get to grips with some of the details myself, but diving into this stuff without the right kind of experience is tough. With the fiddling around that I've done so far and your reply, I'm a little clearer on how it all works.

After my first attempt failed I plugged the two drives from my LS into one of my Ubuntu boxes and reformatted them (with no partitions). I then tried setting up the LS from scratch again (using TFTP and the LSUpdater from a WinXP virtual machine), but once everything was eventually supposedly working again, I wasn't able to log in as "admin" using "password" on the web UI. I was hoping to be able to disable RAID in the web UI, but not without being able to login. I plugged the drives into my Ubuntu box again and was able to setup root SSH login from there. I'm now in the process of deboostrap creation once again on the LS.

I had a thought, which was to create a filesystem for the LS and partition the drives, etc. from my Ubuntu box. Is it ridiculous to expect to be able to do that? One problem that I can think of would be setting up fstab correctly, i.e. referring to the drives correctly. My approach would be to run the debootstrap step as per the guide with the drives in the LS. I could then remove the drives from the LS and connect them to my Ubuntu box, move the debootstrapped filesystem off the drives, format them the way I want to (i.e. no RAID) and then copy the debootstrapped filesystem back onto one of the drives.

I'm going to give this a go. It feels like crawling around in the dark.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:11 am 

if I want to switch back to stock firmware, do I just perform a recovery with TFTP boot?? :? :?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:44 am 

That's what I'd like to do, but I'm not having any luck with it at the moment.

Do you want to save data on the drives? If not, you should be able to wipe the drives clean (install into another machine and format them) and then boot up the LS and go through the TFTP and LSUpdater process from scratch.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:20 am 

i tried at least 10 times installing debian, but all got the same endless restart. Everyafter a failure, I just take the drive out and format the whole drive in one parition. then plug the drive in, and start the TFTP recovery.

HOw far did you get?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:25 am 

I am able to get the box booting into EM Mode (it shows up in NAS Navigator). Then when I try the LSUpdater (all boxes checked) it goes through the reformat process, but then it just cyclic reboots. The drives have been RAID partitioned (when I install the drives in my Ubuntu desktop), but I can't mount the RAID components.

I'll follow the instructions to get back to stock using 1.54-mod1. If successful, then I'll try your instructions to get Debian installed. I'd be happy to contribute to a wiki guide specifically for the LS-WVL.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:57 pm 

Success

I have managed to get Squeeze working on the Linkstation by following advice from this post: viewtopic.php?f=77&t=23191&p=151719#p151719.

It is still using RAID for all partitions and I would much rather not have any RAID at all, so there might need to be some more tweaking done.

Thanks to all who helped.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:37 pm 

Can you post your initr.linuxrc? i'm obviously doing something wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:52 pm 

This is the linuxrc that I'm using once I've got Debian fully installed in the root partition (/dev/md1). For the intermediate step (Debian on the data partition), then I used echo "0x915".

It's worth noting that I deleted the RAID array using the web ui before installing Debian, which meant that I ended up with /dev/md21 and /dev/md22 instead of /dev/md2.

Code:
#!/bin/busybox sh

# Mount the /proc and /sys filesystems.
mount -t proc none /proc
mount -t sysfs none /sys

echo 'DEVICE /dev/sd??*' > /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf
mdadm -Eb /dev/sd??* >> /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf
mdadm -As --force

# Commend appropriate line
#echo "0x915" > /proc/sys/kernel/real-root-dev # use /dev/md21
echo "0x901" > /proc/sys/kernel/real-root-dev # use /dev/md1

# Clean up.
umount /proc
umount /sys

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:36 am 

i just don't get it. all files seem right. i even try to put the hard drive to the 2nd slot instead of the first one. So, i get :

ARRAY /dev/md0 UUID=7063401f:ce31a22b:a9310b9f:e6d0da7a
ARRAY /dev/md/1 metadata=1.2 UUID=08d13355:cf1526d2:70b8b6b1:6c6023dc name=LS-WVL-EM8E9:1
ARRAY /dev/md/10 metadata=1.2 UUID=e281bcf2:dcfe9364:d33eacb0:34c6a756 name=LS-WVL-EM8E9:10
ARRAY /dev/md/22 metadata=1.2 UUID=4b9a9de6:4485384c:962ba396:7b01384f name=LS-WVL-EM8E9:22

commandertrout: can I see your /etc/fstab ?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:27 am 

it seems your data raid partition have changed from previous /dev/md/21 to /dev/md/22..
please ensure that the correct number (NN) is used for command below:
echo "0x9NN" > /proc/sys/kernel/real-root-dev
in preparing your temporary linuxrc.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:30 am 

dnkync wrote:
it seems your data raid partition have changed from previous /dev/md/21 to /dev/md/22..
please ensure that the correct number (NN) is used for command below:
echo "0x9NN" > /proc/sys/kernel/real-root-dev
in preparing your temporary linuxrc.

i am very sure the "0x9NN" is correct.

one question, when i looked at the mdadm.conf, the dev is in : " dev/md/22 "

so , in /etc/fstab , do I use " dev/md/22" or " dev/md22 " ?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:42 am 

i suppose either /dev/md22 or /dev/md/22 will work, but below is my temporary fstab (for the temporary root fs)

Code:
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# file system   mount point   type   options         dump pass
/dev/md22   /      xfs   defaults,noatime   0    1
/dev/md0   /boot      ext3   rw,nosuid,nodev      0    2
/dev/md10   none      swap   sw         0    0
proc      /proc      proc   defaults      0    0

the final fstab will be (I format /dev/md1 as ext3)
Code:
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# file system   mount point   type   options         dump pass
/dev/md1   /      ext3   defaults,noatime   0    1
/dev/md0   /boot      ext3   rw,nosuid,nodev      0    2
/dev/md10   none      swap   sw         0    0
proc      /proc      proc   defaults      0    0