Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Serial Port on LS-WVL
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:45 pm 

I just got an LS-WVL/E (no drives).
Opened it up and examined the PCB for serial-type connections and JTAG.
I found a set of 4 holes that resemble the serial port connections on some other models. Since I have no oscilloscope, I used my multimeter to try to detemine what thier use might be. The results were (from left to right)
+12v, +3.3v, possible Tx, Gnd.
The PCB is labelled MVLSWV-BA.

Has anyone managed to determine if these are serial port solder points?

There's no obvious JTAG points.

I'll attach pictures of both sides of the board when I figure out how to do that.

Herb

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:59 pm 

OK, here's the pictures (top and bottom) of the board in my LS-WVL/E.
I highly doubt that these are any different than any other except for board revisions.

Top: http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/File:MVLSWV-BA-top.jpg

Bottom: http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/File:MVLSWV-BA-bot.jpg

Herb

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:30 am 
Total Newbie

I did it like this and this this. The little adapter board is something like this. Make sure it's 3.3V rated (e.g. MAX3232-based).

The whole procedure is more difficult if you have IC13 installed, but you can get +3.3V, GND and RXD from the big 4-pin connector and TXD from one of the vias that are arranged in 2 columns next to the cpu. I forgot which one. If you want early boot control (U-Boot-Output, TFTP-boot over serial, etc.) you also need to move a resistor there.

Don't use the +12V line you mentioned for TXD. It seems to be some kind of debug line which changes its voltage according to system state. Or it could be something else entirely. :mrgreen:

Edit: the img-tag doesn't seem to work, so I put in links instead.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:30 pm 

Quote:
but you can get +3.3V, GND and RXD from the big 4-pin connector and TXD from one of the vias that are arranged in 2 columns next to the cpu. I forgot which one. If you want early boot control (U-Boot-Output, TFTP-boot over serial, etc.) you also need to move a resistor there.

Thanks for posting this, can you provide any more detail? please! :) the resistor that needs adding or removing? the best technique for locating the correct via for TX?

:)
Cheers,
Stonie.

LS-XHL - Squeeze Bootstrap
LS-VL - Squeeze Bootstrap

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:41 pm 

TX line is connected to cooling fan's VCC via a diode. After removing it the voltage drops to 2.5V. I can see serial waveform but only on 100mV and lower ranges. It seems that it's disabled in software, has been fried by 12V on purpose or there is a zener diode connected to it. It's also possible that I'm missing something;) I will flash my unit with 1.64 mod1a today and let you know what I can read from kernel log and configuration. I have no idea if MPP register is accessible.
UPDATE:
I have fried my port. You have to remove the diode FIRST and then solder the pads. If you solder the pads under IC11 first it just pulls up SoC's TX line through D9 diode to cooling fan's VCC(12V) and fries output transistors. If you do it this way it should work no problem. You don't have to remove flash IC. The same vias are under IC11 which is 8 pin only and you can solder it without a problem. Does anybody want to swap units with me?:) I will pay $30 and for shipping. I wont spend another $100 on a new one just to hack it. It seems that I will have to just use it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:45 pm 

Hi all,

I recently added serial access to my LS-WVL following ld50's instructions. For those who have IC13 installed it may be helpful to know that -- according to my notes and http://www5.atwiki.jp/kuro-bsd/m/pages/256.html (bottom) -- TXD is connected to R99 and RXD to R164. So even if you have IC13 installed, you may connect directly at one end of the resistors.
For mentioned access to the boot loader, you addionally have to move the 4.7 k resistor from R60 to R59.

Cheers
sebi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:39 am 

Hi Sebi,

Thanks for the pictures!

Thanks for your efforts xhakerek. shame you bricked yours, but its all in the name of progress ! :)
I will pull apart mine and give this a go.

Here is the google translate for the above link: http://translate.google.com.au/translat ... 2F256.html

Thanks Sebi! :up:

Cheers,
Stonie.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:29 pm 

I didn't brick it. It fried TX output transistors in SoC but the unit still works. I'll try to play with MPPEs in the SoC to use one of flash chip pins as a TX line. There is a table in SoC datasheet. Other Mpees can be used as TX line but only one is connected(to flash io) Just have to find some time to finish my projects. It seems that configuration registers are easily accessible by changing the header in the EEPROM. I have ordered sockets and a few blank ones to not play with the original chip. Will keep you posted;) I've had a lot of fun and it wasn't as hard as it seemed to be. What a petty that I have only analog TEK scope. Boot process is kinda convoluted. IC11 contains a header file for SoC and a boot loader. It loads the image from Flash(along with other stuff I think) and copies it to HDD. I can't wait to flash the boot ROM;) Be careful when soldering wires to SMD resistors. It's easier than you think to damage the board.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:00 am 

@xhakerek awsome! look forward to hearing your results. I have a scope and logic analyzer. so might be able to help out of i can finsd the time around 'Work" :S

Just to clear any confusion... I noticed the the link posted by @sebi85 is for the LS-VL not the WVL, but according to Sebi's post the resistor layout is the same?

Cheers,
Stonie.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:50 pm 

stonie wrote:
Just to clear any confusion... I noticed the the link posted by @sebi85 is for the LS-VL not the WVL, but according to Sebi's post the resistor layout is the same?
They are talking about the LS-WVL at the very bottom of the page. At least the resistor layout for TXT, RXD, and u-boot cotrol seems to be the same for LS-VL and LS-WVL. I should have emphasized that.

Regards
sebi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:01 am 

UART port works just fine. Remove the diode near the fan plug and solder pads under IC11. You can also solder wires closer to SoC but you can easily damage the board by pulling the tracks with the soldered wire.
JTAG works too. I had problems with gdb constant stepping even after pressing c and going past breakpoints but it was intermediate. I assume it was my DIY adapter, long wires or some other stuff. Not the NAS itself.
I messed up my case. If somebody has a broken LS-WVL or want to buy working guts just send me a message. I won't buy a new NAS for sure;p

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:19 pm 

I just wanted to thank you guys!
I recently got ahold of a LS-WVL, and at first could not figure out how to connect to its serial console.
Fortunately your tips worked perfectly fine.
I will post some high resolution pictures, documenting the necessary changes, soon. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:23 am 

Nice one - some pictures would be appreciated. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:34 am 

Sorry, nearly forgot about this.

You can find the pictures under the following link:

https://plus.google.com/photos/10991477 ... 1937577313

Last edited by celemine1gig on Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:52 pm 

Who gonna send me LS-WVL for figuring it out, huh?:P :lol:
I bought TerraMaster F2NAS2 on Ebay, used for $50. It has a metal case and is built like a brick with metal trays for HDDs, simply works out of the box. U-boot is accessible through soldered RS-232 connector on the board and it has a place for standard JTAG header connector. I soldered it and it works just fine too. Unfortunately TerraMaster is unwilling to share the source code but it's not a problem in this case. I have installed standard gentoo system on it without any problems. Currently running my website on it along with FTP, NFS, SSH etc. Any questions? I can help. Can also write a new webpage for that model with pictures. Just let me know how I can add a new manufacturer.