Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:35 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:28 pm 

Hello

A year and a half ago I bought this model from eBay, it came with 2 WD blue hard disks that I never used as I installed a 4 TB WD Red NAS disk and a 2TB WD Green disk.

I remember I had to reinstall the firmware on the NAS, as apparently the software is stored on the disks and not on the NAS itself. I don't remember if I needed to use TFTP, but definetly had to use the LSUpdater tool, rebuild partition table and write the contents. And this is the way I have been using the NAS until now.

Eventually I formatted the older WD Blue disks and kept them on another NAS I have.

So recently I have been having dropouts on network when more than a device access the NAS, as the light goes off when the device is accessed and it goes extremely slow, like 1MB/s transfer. Sometimes it also never

My network is Gigabit, I use a Linksys E3000 and most of my devices are Gigabit, the NAS was connected to the router using a UTP CAT5E cable, and it's never detected as a Gigabit device. This NAS model has a Gigabit interface according to the specs.

I reinstalled the software using LSUpdater on debug mode and it seems to be more stable, but I did this yesterday and I cannot confirm. However the NAS still has a slow performance as indicated and doesn't get detected as a Gigabit device.

I also seem unable to get TFTP working to install the original drives back in as it never catches the device on network or even connected to the computer directly (setting the IP address to 192.168.11.1)

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:01 pm 

tftp is only running on winxp
use tftp32 on newer windows versions

My fritzbox can set the maximum speed of each port.

Can u use gigabit speed on the port on which the nas is connected?

Quote:
the light goes off when the device is accessed

which light?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:20 pm 

Hello

Thanks

I downloaded tfpt64 and will try when I get home.

I was talking about the network light on the router and the NAS (behind it)

What are the exact steps to make the NAS boot on TFTP? Is it by holding function button for 5 seconds and then turning it on? I saw several procedures tho.

I would preffer to connect the NAS to my computer directly, set my IP address to 192.168.11.1 and start the TFP server, then boot the LS-WXL. However the NAS doesn't seem to respond to pings with empty hard drives.

Take in mind I have made my own TFTP pack as I extracted uImage.buffalo and initrd.buffalo from the 1.71 firmware and put them on the TFTP folder

After that I should be able to flash the disks using LSUpdater, isn't it?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:48 pm 

tftp is only available on E06

a simpler way is to start with a old and a new disk
now format the new
replace the old and the nas should start from the new formated

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:52 pm 

Hello

Thanks

I actually preffer to flash the disks from scratch.

When the empty disks are inside the drive, it boots and after a while the led lights are E06
If I press the function button before starting up the NAS, it will flahs on blue until it shows E06.

What do I exactly have to do to make it boot on TFTP? Just start it? Shouldn't I press a button?

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:17 pm 

read about e06
search a howto or translate my german howto

http://forum.nas-hilfe.de/buffalo-technology-nas-anleitungen/anleitung-tftp-und-firmware-flashen-mit-bildern-t903.html

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:20 pm 

Thanks

I saw this guide as well before so I will try this. It doesn't seem to be so different from what I tried, but I used the TFTP tool that you said it's not compatible, so I will try using tftp32 as suggested.

I assume that $kernel is a copy of uImage.buffalo and $initrd is a copy of initrd.buffalo right?

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:40 pm 

Quote:
I assume that $kernel is a copy of uImage.buffalo and $initrd is a copy of initrd.buffalo right?

yes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:08 pm 

I tried connecting the NAS directly to my computer (and setting the IP's computer to 192.168.11.1

I started the NAS normally, waited until E06 and then held the function button for 5 seconds, the network interface light got on and it connected to my computer and downloaded only one file from the TFTP server, initrd.buffalo, but not the uImage.buffalo one.

I repeated the process several times using my router as well, it always picks up the same file and the Power led flashes on blue.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:25 pm 

Changed strategy and held the funcitn button for a few seconds before turning it on, then after it got E06 I pressed the function button again and it got the 2 files.
It went off the network, fans stopped, blue light got solid with network back online, and now I am flashing it using LSUpdater (used debug mode and ticked all boxes)

At the moment it is formatting, waiting :)

Last edited by albertocastillo2001 on Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:59 pm 

from my howto
Quote:
6. Den Funktionsknopf eine Sekunde drücken

there should be a difference betwean 1s and 5s

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:02 pm 

After finishing the update and restarted it went back to E06. I TFTPed it again as before and after it rebooted itself it did I25 (upgrading firmware). I didn't need to run LSUpdater again.

After it rebooted it seems to be fine now, but it's not coming on the network. Probably it eventually will, but I don't know what's happening with it as it drops from the network or never gets on. And it also, the times I tried it it won't get a gigabit connection.

As of now, even if it's empty, I am erasing the disks using the NAS interface, it will take a few hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:36 am 

Wow, it's still erasing the disks.
They are 2 500 GB disks and still 3 hours left to erase them

Is this normal?
I think my NAS has some kind of performance issue.

After it's complete I will restart it and use it and see if it disconnects from the network and try to do some transfers to see the speed with the default disks that it came with

Is there any log I can see somewhere on this device?
How long does it take yours to boot up?

By the way, 2 days ago I made my own TFTP package by following this guide: http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Bui ... S_recovery
The steps are for Linux but by reading the script was doing I managed to do it in Windows

They are from the 1.71 firmware. I can't remember exactly which passwords I used to extract the files but I keep them if you need them

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:23 pm 

formating and checking disks can take days

open ssh and read out the errorlog
Code:
cat /var/log/messages

check your drives!
demaged drives with slow down the nas
Code:
smartctl -d marvell -A /dev/sda
smartctl -d marvell -A /dev/sdb

have you tested a secont cat5 cable?

maybe your ethernet port is demaged

thank you, but i have the 1.71 tftp files

2 mins to boot

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:47 pm 

To use SSH I assume I have to gain root SSH access, right?
I haven't done the hack yet.
Actually I remember analyzing the drives with Crystal DiskMark and also with the Western Digital tool.

The NAS has finished formatting and has restarted, it's not in solid blue light, but the network interface light is off...

How long does it take to get online in the network for you? For me it can take sometime after booting up and it's pretty random.

This is why I think there might be some kind of failure, and I think a log could help