Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:27 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:21 am 

As the title suggests, just wondering if anyone is running his own compiled version of kernel on LinkStation LS-WVL?

I've successfully compiled for LS-WXL, and running the kernel without any problem. Did try to follow the same instructions as LS-WXL while compiling for LS-WVL, but upon booting into LS-WVL, the booting process is halted somewhere.

ps: or anyone able to activate serial port for LS-WVL? so that messages printed during the booting can be read?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:11 pm 

You did not say which version of kernel you attempted to compile. Was it vanilla kernel or was it Buffalo's? If you tried the one that Buffalo published on their GPL Resources page, then you should be able to use the same binaries for both LS-WXL and LS-WVL.

Did you do something different while compiling kernel for LS-WVL as opposed to the way you compiled kernel for LS-WXL?

LS-VL (Squeeze) w/custom 2.6.31.8 kernel (iptables, XTS mode, support for GUID partitions on HDDs with 4096-byte sectors, backport of dm-crypt's patch to support plain64 IV) and Truecrypt for all attached USB HDDs

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:05 pm 
Total Newbie

I compiled the Debian Squeeze kernel source for 2.6.32, plus a small patch for the LS-WXL from the instructions here:

http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Deb ... ian_kernel

But upon rebooting, the red error light immediately comes on steady (no blinking). I assume this means UBoot could not boot the new kernel.

It sounds like compiling the Buffalo-provided source is the best bet?

BTW, I have a CS-WV, which I'm told is the same hardware as the LS-WVL. Is this true? Here's what I get from /proc:

# cat /proc/buffalo/board_info
BoardId=82
BoardName=MVLSWV
# cat /proc/buffalo/firmware
SERIES=CloudStor
PRODUCTNAME=CS-WV
VERSION=0.16
SUBVERSION=FLASH 0.00
PRODUCTID=0x0000300A
BUILDDATE=2011/10/19 19:15:58
BOOTVER=0.25
# cat /proc/cpuinfo
Processor : Feroceon 88FR131 rev 1 (v5l)
BogoMIPS : 1599.07
Features : swp half thumb fastmult edsp
CPU implementer : 0x56
CPU architecture: 5TE
CPU variant : 0x2
CPU part : 0x131
CPU revision : 1

Hardware : Feroceon-KW
Revision : 0000
Serial : 0000000000000000

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:02 am 

Thanks for the replies, guys..

I tried to compile using vanilla kernel (like what stevexyz has done)..
works for ls-wxl (obviously, as the instructions are for ls-wxl originally), but not for ls-wvl.

I guess, it's almost impossible to use the exact patch for ls-wxl, hoping the compiled kernel to run on ls-wvl, unless somebody are good at linux kernel hacking come with a special patch for ls-wvl (anybody?)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:42 am 
Total Newbie

This isn't about the LS-WVL specifically, but seems relevant (adapting the LS-WXL patch for another Linkstation). I don't really follow the reasoning behind the change though.

viewtopic.php?f=73&t=22895

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:20 pm 

stevexyz wrote:
This isn't about the LS-WVL specifically, but seems relevant (adapting the LS-WXL patch for another Linkstation). I don't really follow the reasoning behind the change though.

viewtopic.php?f=73&t=22895
At first, I was eager to see how one managed to "adapt" kernel patches to make them work on another Linkstation. Unless @m4rLon is holding something back in his response:
m4rLon wrote:
I solved the problem:
after comparing the dmesg output between the LS-WXL and LS-WSX I replaced within the file patch.lswxl all function and symbol names from "lswxl" to "lswssx" or "LSWXL" to "LSWSSX" and run the modified patch like in the wiki-article (see above) described.

Now the new kernel boots without problems :up:
I find it funny how s/he was able to make the kernel work :lol:
Not only s/he used a name "LSWSSX" that does not exist in Debian's sources (which rules out the possibility of borrowing some other configuration), s/he also did not make the same changes to the config.lswxl file, thus completely disabling the changes applied by patch.lswxl. If I understand it right, his/her kernel binaries should turn out to be just pure Debian's kernel.

On a side note, can I ask you guys about reasons on why do you prefer Debian's kernel instead of compiling Buffalo's GPL sources? I completely understand the desire to have the latest and the greatest version for your kernel, but the following drawbacks of vanilla/Debian kernels give me no choice but to stick with Buffalo's kernel sources:
1) no fan control
2) no LED control
3) no power in USB port (basically disabled USB)

What's your opinion?

LS-VL (Squeeze) w/custom 2.6.31.8 kernel (iptables, XTS mode, support for GUID partitions on HDDs with 4096-byte sectors, backport of dm-crypt's patch to support plain64 IV) and Truecrypt for all attached USB HDDs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:43 am 
Total Newbie

TheWind wrote:
I find it funny how s/he was able to make the kernel work

Yeah, this didn't look right to me either.

TheWind wrote:
On a side note, can I ask you guys about reasons on why do you prefer Debian's kernel instead of compiling Buffalo's GPL sources? I completely understand the desire to have the latest and the greatest version for your kernel, but the following drawbacks of vanilla/Debian kernels give me no choice but to stick with Buffalo's kernel sources:
1) no fan control
2) no LED control
3) no power in USB port (basically disabled USB)

What's your opinion?

Apparently fan and LED are supported through the GPIO interface; see this script referenced from LS-WXL page:

http://pastebin.com/9yWQBnhW

Obviously I haven't tried it. No USB does sound like a real problem. I don't have an issue with using the Buffalo sources; it's just that all the guides I found on the site that discussed recompiling the kernel suggested building a Debian kernel.

Is the .config included with the Buffalo sources the right starting point? Does it yield a working kernel?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:01 pm 

stevexyz wrote:
Apparently fan and LED are supported through the GPIO interface; see this script referenced from LS-WXL page:

http://pastebin.com/9yWQBnhW

Obviously I haven't tried it. No USB does sound like a real problem.
That's good to know. This guy even says that his USB works too. The only problem for me is to find instructions that would build Debian's kernel for LS-VL. The guides that I've tried produces kernels that would not boot on my Linkstation. To debug the cause for the problem, I've attempted to get serial port working, but bailed out after trying to solder 2 tiny bridges on the board that enable the port. They are so damn close together and I'm afraid to mess up.

stevexyz wrote:
I don't have an issue with using the Buffalo sources; it's just that all the guides I found on the site that discussed recompiling the kernel suggested building a Debian kernel.

Is the .config included with the Buffalo sources the right starting point? Does it yield a working kernel?
Yeah, the whole GPL package from Buffalo's site works just fine. The only thing that requires modification is the adaptation to your environment:

natively - just change CROSS_COMPILE variable in the Makefile like:
Code:
CROSS_COMPILE   ?=

cross compilation - just get Code Sourcery's Cross Toolchain from: http://downloads.buffalo.nas-central.or ... nu.tar.bz2 and add http://downloads.buffalo.nas-central.or ... ns/mkimage to the unpacked "bin" folder. After that just modify the Makefile like:
Code:
CROSS_COMPILE   ?= arm-none-eabi-
and you should be good to go.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:20 pm 
Total Newbie

TheWind wrote:
The only problem for me is to find instructions that would build Debian's kernel for LS-VL. The guides that I've tried produces kernels that would not boot on my Linkstation. To debug the cause for the problem, I've attempted to get serial port working, but bailed out after trying to solder 2 tiny bridges on the board that enable the port. They are so damn close together and I'm afraid to mess up.

Yeah, I'm drawing the line at soldering. :D Have you considered trying netconsole?

If you build it in to the kernel, you ought to be able to set the default parameters for your situation by hacking the kernel source (this would avoid the need to change the kernel command line supplied by uBoot, for which I haven't found a good guide). Obviously this won't help if uBoot can't boot the kernel, but it just depends where your boot is dying.

In my case, the red LED comes on immediately, so I'm guessing that means uBoot couldn't even manage to hand off to the new kernel (since the Debian kernel wouldn't know how to turn on the red LED if something went wrong) and that netconsole wouldn't help, though I may try it anyway.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions on compiling the Buffalo kernel package. I will give it a try.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:32 pm 

stevexyz wrote:
Have you considered trying netconsole?
I actually have never heard of it until you mentioned the name. This is a great idea and I'll keep it as plan B in case a buddy of mine (who's done even more delicate soldering before) would not be able to help me. I'm not in the rush of doing it till someone gets USB working on Debian kernel.

"netconsole" is one of the hidden gems in UNIX-like operating systems that will never stop to surprise me no matter how long I work with them. :up:
To return the favor of enlightening me, have you seen the last example in the manual for "watch"? ;)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:21 pm 

TheWind, you have an LS-WVL (Linkststion Pro Duo) right?
Where did you see which traces had to be connected for serial port operation?
Where are the connections for the serial port?

Herb

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:00 pm 

herbr wrote:
TheWind, you have an LS-WVL (Linkststion Pro Duo) right?
Where did you see which traces had to be connected for serial port operation?
Where are the connections for the serial port?
Sorry, but mine's not Duo. I have a plain LS-VL.
Just wait and maybe someone will answer your other post in LS-WVL section of the forum.

Even though this site is in Japanese and the guy talks about serial console for LS-VL board, there are some discussions at the bottom of the page regarding LS-WVL board too. Take a look at it.