Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:13 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:02 pm 

my v1 linkstation live went faulty a few yrs back but ive just taken the drive out and it seems to be working ok connected directly to a pc and I can get to my files using ufs explorer.

I would like to try and restore it and possibly keep the files there so is anyone able to give me a copy of their system partitions so I can load them onto my drive? or know of anywhere i could download them? not sure if this approach will work?

If not can someone advise me the next best way?

Last edited by amavadia on Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:57 pm 

ok backed up the data and not bothered about keeping it on there anymore.

I just need to reinstall the firmware and restore the partitions. from reading around I think I get how to do this but can someone tell me if this is right...

1. plug linkstation into laptop via network cable
2. set laptop IP address to 192.168.11.1
3. run TFTP
4. exit TFTP and download latest stock firmware from buffalo site... v1.12 as my nas is a v1 linkstation live
5. run lsupdater.exe from the firmware file and push onto nas.

questions...
can I use any version of TFTP i can find online or does it have to be specific and if so can someone link me to the right one?
on lsupdater do i deselect everything apart from 'rebuild partition table' as I have read on some threads?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:04 pm 

It is NOT recommended, to connect the LS directly to the PC
or laptop.
It is known "problem" of Buffalo, to update a firmware without
a DHCP server reachable.
To be on the safe side, you should connect via a router or a
switch with a DHCP server available.

If there is no verified backup of a dataset, the dataset, by definition, is unimportant. (c't 2012)

RAID (no matter which level) never ever substitutes a backup. (me)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:07 pm 

ok np, i can connect it via my router. in this case do I still change the laptop IP address or just let the router assign an IP to both the nas and laptop?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:48 am 

TFTP needs a dedicated address, so yes you still have to
add this special address to your laptops addresses.

If there is no verified backup of a dataset, the dataset, by definition, is unimportant. (c't 2012)

RAID (no matter which level) never ever substitutes a backup. (me)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:57 pm 

I set the ipv4 ip address of the laptop to the above, connected the NAS with a blank HDD in it (currently flashing red 6 times which is HDD not recognized error code), launched up TFTP from my laptop but it doesnt seem to find it. Am I missing a step here? Do I need to change anything on the router after setting a static IP on my laptop?

I could really do with some detailed help here. There seems to be a lot out there for the v2 linkstation but not so much for the v1?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:49 pm 

made some progress today...

I was able to image the first 3 partitions off the original HDD and copy them over to a new HDD (although its only 160GB for testing). I tried to partition the remaining space into XFS using a GParted live cd but it threw an error so I had to just leave it as unallocated space.

Put the drive in the nas and it loaded up. I used the latest firmware 1.12 from Buffalo in debug mode to push a firmware update (with do not check version and force update only ticked from the right panel and all the left panel selected). I did try to use the rebuild partition table option and could see it sending the firmware files, format, send firmware, write firmware and then it tried to reboot and gave me the 6 flashes - HDD not recognised. Anyway the firmware update worked. then I used erase disk from the web interface to clear out the shares it still thinks should be there from the last disk.

So now I am left with a fresh install BUT its giving me 4 flashes. I can access the web interface and at the moment the shares as well but will keep playing with it for a while to make sure.

The manual says 4 flashes is RAID error but it only has one disk so not sure what that means.

Anyone able to shed some light on it?