Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:37 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: LS-CH1.0TL-US Crahsed
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:58 pm 
Total Newbie

Hello all. Sorry if there is a thread about this elsewhere but I'm having issues that are making me crazy since I am yet another one that didn't have a backup. It's a long story and I'm going to try to remember everything i did so sit down lol.

I have a 1TB LS-CH1.0TL-US, not sure if its v1 or v2 or the firmware. I got 3 power spikes/outages in a row. Although I was plugged into an APC surge protector which was plugged into an in wall surge protector I still got blasted.

When I went to access my NAS it could not be found by PC (Win7) and had the E06 error.

I then hooked the NAS enclosure via network cable directly into my PC and tried to EM start and load firmware. I've pretty much tried every idea on this site.

Next I purchased Windows UFS Explorer Standard V4. When running it on the drive it stopped at about 6.3% and after letting it sit for about 48 hours and it counting up to an estimated time of 250hrs+ and still wasn't moving past 6.3% I decided to stop it before it damaged the HDD any further.

When nothing I did worked I opened the NAS removed the HDD and hooked it up internally. I purchased 2 new HDDs, on one I installed Ubuntu 11.10 which said it had 1256 bad sectors and needed to be backed up cause failure was immanent. I ran gnu ddrescue to create an image which I saved 2nd new HDD I saved the image on an XFS partition.

I only made an image of the data partition which in Ubuntu is sdb6.

When I tried to mount and read the image I had issues. Possibly because I've never used Linux before and have no idea what I'm doing. Someone from the Ubuntu forum has been helping me with the code.

Today I took the HDD with the backup image of the data partition created with ddrescue and hooked it back up to my Win 7 machine. I ran UFS explorer on the image and it created a backup. When I go to read it all it shows is inode files which I can't open. I think I'm gooing to have to get a 3rd HDD to save the back up of the image on before it becomes a file tree again and I can read it.

Has anyone had a similar issue that cen set me straight with this? Any help is greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:37 am 

Sounds confusing!?!?
Did you made an image (one file containing the raw disk content of your data partition)
or did you image the partition ("cloning" the data partition to a partition on a different
disk)?
Depending on this, the way to go further differs.
When you attached the original disk to a PC, did you ren smartctl to check if the disk
detected internal damages?

If there is no verified backup of a dataset, the dataset, by definition, is unimportant. (c't 2012)

RAID (no matter which level) never ever substitutes a backup. (me)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:43 am 
Total Newbie

Yea its confusing alright. I rant SMART check and it told me failure was iminent, I then used ddrescue to image all 6 partitions from the NAS to a single 1TB partition created on a new HDD

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:16 am 

So now what you have are 6 files with bitwise images of
each of the 6 partitions of the LS.
I am not aware of any rescue applications which can look
into bitwise image files for rescue.
Maybe there is a way to mount this kind of images?
If not, your only way will be to write each of the images
back to a spare partition/disk and then to rescue your files.

If there is no verified backup of a dataset, the dataset, by definition, is unimportant. (c't 2012)

RAID (no matter which level) never ever substitutes a backup. (me)