Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:46 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:20 am 

I have a Buffalo LS-CH2.0TL Live 2TB, which seems to be hanging at boot time (I'm really just guessing). I used to be able to access the NAS via the web interface, FTP, SFTP, and SMB (Windows share via Samba on Linux).

Now the system starts up, but when done I can't connect to anything on the device. The symptoms are:

1. When I attach the device to the power the blue light on top starts flashing,
  2. after a while the blue light on top of the device turns solid.
  3. The device is shown in the device list of my router.
  4. I can ping the device successfully, even by name (its name is resolved in the network),
  5. though I can't access the web interface (Firefox says "Unable to connect").
  6. When I do a full port scan on the device (e.g. "nmap -A -r -p 1-65535 buffalo") no open ports are reported.

How can I access the NAS system to find out what goes wrong at boot time, and fix it?

I'd love to not have to flash the device since I've got quite a few family photos on it that would be lost.

Any help greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:45 am 

what shows the nasnavigator?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:40 pm 

oxygen8 wrote:
what shows the nasnavigator?

Thanks for the hint. (I've never used it before.)

It says: "LS-CHL-EMF4B Emergency mode. Update the firmware or contact technical support."

Emergency mode (aka Engineering Mode). So, I have to update the firmware, then I will hopefully be able to access the hard drive.

What's the best way to do that? The official firmware flasher? Will I lose all my data on the hard drive?

Peter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:50 pm 

do not modify the ini and you can not kill your data

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:18 pm 

Just a quick confirmation that updating the firmware of my LS-CH2.0TL NAS drive made my stale system work again. All data is still on the disk, nothing was lost (not even the users I added).

Here is what I did:
  1. Read through The LinkStation firmware flasher and the Firmware FAQ to understand the choices.
  2. Download the official Firmware Updater (version 1.60) for Windows from buffalotech.com (NOTE: there's now also a Mac version available, which I didn't use since my Mac has WiFi only).
  3. Attach the NAS drive to your computer with the network cable (RJ45), attach the power cable, and switch the power button on the back of the NAS device to "ON".
  4. Unpack the Firmware Updater somewhere on your disk (no installation needed), and run "LSUpdater.exe".
  5. The program starts and detects the NAS device, now start the upgrade procedure.
  6. Upgrading takes a couple of minutes, the NAS device reboots (with the LED blinking orange, then turning blue again), after booting the "Finishing booting" step also takes several minutes.
  7. When finished the Firmware Updater prompts you for the Admin password. Now you're done!

For accessing my NAS drive afterwards I installed the NAS Navigator on Windows, and after seeing that everything went alright I let the Navigator map the device to the Windows computer's L: drive (using the option in the Navigator's window menu).

Later I logged in to the Web Interface (via the context menu on the device, using "admin" and the Admin password entered earlier) to make some changes to the configuration.

Thanks oxygen8 for your hints, and everyone on buffalo.nas-central.org for this forum!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:17 am 

This happened to me as well, but weeks after I installed a new hard disk. I'm not sure about the cause, but the check disk option in the NAS web access shows no errors.