Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 11:38 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:37 pm 
Total Newbie

Basically, I had to dismantle my home network where I was using a 1TB LS-CHL-V2 as a backup device and also for some file storage for some photographs. Having re-assembled the network the LS-CHL has decided that it's only going to go to EM mode.

I tried using the firmware update but got a message "Could not confirm whether the partition exists. Could not update firmware"

I was under the impression that the firmware was held in a flash memory, so I can't understand why this message appears (and I don't know which partition it's referring to. I assume the first/boot sector).

This is a bit worrying as I would really, really like to retrieve some of the data held on the disk. Would the best way be to disassemble the unit and mount the disk in a carrier (or directly in a PC) and try and get stuff off that way or are there things I could try first?

I'm not a Linux/Unix person - Windows 7 is the limit of my computing ability - so, if you can help, please can you try and keep it simple?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:37 am 

PhiltheBear wrote:
This is a bit worrying as I would really, really like to retrieve some of the data held on the disk. Would the best way be to disassemble the unit and mount the disk in a carrier (or directly in a PC) and try and get stuff off that way or are there things I could try first?

I'm not a Linux/Unix person - Windows 7 is the limit of my computing ability - so, if you can help, please can you try and keep it simple?

Thanks

The only way you can get the data of the your NAS HDD when you take it out is connected it to Linux running machine and mount the /dev/sdc6 partition where the data is stored,
as your NAS using is running Linux OS and the drive is formatted as follows (example of my 2TB drive):
/dev/sdc1 1.0 GB ext3
/dev/sdc2 5.1 GB Unknown
/dev/sdc3 1.0 MB Unknown
/dev/sdc4 1.0 MB Unknown
/dev/sdc5 1.0 GB Swap Space
/dev/sdc6 2.0 TB xfs
Try LiveCD of Ubuntu distribution for example as this will not install anything on your Windows PC, get an external drive once booted into the Live CD,
connect it (may have to install NTFS suppoprt "sudo apt-get install ntfs-3g") to backup your NAS data. I have been able to save all of ma data from
failing NAS HDD.