Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:44 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:21 pm 
Total Newbie

Hi all
I am a complete novice with buffalo gear but my Ls chlv2 is about to go out of the window.

Bit of background. I was given the unit by a mate who had it on his work network for a short while but had fired his it guy and diddnt know the IP or password. Tried to find it but no luck so before I found out about the TFTP boot loader I had whipped out the hdd chucked it into my XP machine and cleaned and reformatted it as NFST. I then gave up and called tech support who told me about the boot loader and what to do.

I can now boot load it to the point of doing the firmware update. I have modified the lsupdater to debug and tried to remove partition table and unclicked everything else. It will start to format and approx half way through the power led goes red and the function button goes solid blue. The format bar on the PC continues to fill to the end and I get format failed update cancelled.

I have tested the drive and it has no bad sectors and have tried no format and fat 32 using device manager and the supplied formatter from buffalo all with the same result.

All updates and software are from buffalo tech support and up to date and correct for my unit. I have tried a direct link and going through a router with dhcp on. Firewall is off antivirus is off.

I am stuck

Any advice would be gratefully received.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:01 am 

No partitions on the HD seems to be a critical MUST for TFTP.
Then do a TFTP and LS update with formatting and partitioning.
This will fail and you should wait a fairly long moment and then
repeat the LS update, but WITHOUT partitioning and formatting.
At least this helped some guys in this forum to solve the problem.

If there is no verified backup of a dataset, the dataset, by definition, is unimportant. (c't 2012)

RAID (no matter which level) never ever substitutes a backup. (me)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:16 pm 
Total Newbie

Thanks for the Reply

I have tried this and it still fails. I do the rebuild partition table and it says failed to format and then when I try to update the boot etc it says no target partition all data will be lost. I click okay its starts to format and then bugs out in the same way. I tried the firmware from the us site which is 1.60 rather than 1.68 and it failed on the rebuild with an acp_state_failiure.

Drive out, back in the pc. finds an illegal partition so i clean it using cmd disk part and then check it. returns with no bad sectors. Run a drive checker i got off the web ,still no bad sectors. Install it as another drive on windows load the drive up fully a couple of times and then quick format and check again with chkdsk and a drive checker. No bad sectors or faults.

This is a 1tb WD Green caviar drive and it is the original unit that the Ls was shipped with.

Is there anything else i can try. Someone mentioned acp commander and i have downloaded it but have no idea how to run Linux commands so have not tried it yet.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:33 pm 

You need a running box, before you can use acp_commander.
If two times TFTP does not work, I don't know what else you
could do, but to retry with another PC.

If there is no verified backup of a dataset, the dataset, by definition, is unimportant. (c't 2012)

RAID (no matter which level) never ever substitutes a backup. (me)