Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:20 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:25 pm 
Total Newbie

Hi all

Long story short, knocked over the 1TB LS and bricked it - im almost over that part so decided to replace the HD with a new one, but as the difference was about £5 I went with a WD caviar green but 2TB capacity.

Dowloaded the nas navigator, TFTP software and the FW lsupdater vs 1.6.

Anyway having searched and searched net came across these helpful forums and this thread

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=21159

Managed to follow all procedures and get the TFTP boot to work and get 2 blocks served, LS now in em mode? where the led is flashing blue very rapidly - changed the IP back to how it was, left off NIC and the AV stuff.

Then tried to do the force FW update procedure - I changed the lsupdater.ini etc and when I come to run lsupdater it is unable to find the LS and there I grind to a halt. Im not tech savvy and dont really know how to do these things but can follow method to do them but just not technical.

After reading this
viewtopic.php?p=147233#p147233

Haver decided to start again but how long would it take to go to settling down after TFTP boot (do I leave it after it says 2 blocks served or am I looking for the blue flashing to stop even if this is way after the 2 blocks notice?)

Can anyone please help or point me to a thread that has this issue but details how to solve it

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:23 pm 
Total Newbie

Ok very happy at this point so thanks to all that contribute especially the info and guidance from Shonk. :up:

So what have I done and what did I do for the benefit of anyone trying to sort out a new HD - which Im sure has been done before but I guess for newbies like me this is tricky.

After bricking my 1TB in the v2 LS-CH I decided to purchase a 2TB WD caviar green to replace the 1TB one as the cost difference was little.

DL the 1.53 TFTP software from the link in the post above and ran it locally as per info, this got me to the stage where the vs1.6 updater recognised the LS so I could install the FW.

It did this but went back to red flashing again so as per advise tried it all again and afterwards it started to flash amber but I allowed this to settle and go back to normal - checked the FW version on it and it was the 1.6 vs (I was unable to locate the 1.53 vs FW)

Anyway its all done and restored I hope. My next mission is to try and recover the data from the 1TB that has no partition on it - feel I could restore this but would lose the data due to format so need to try something else - I wont use again as I think it too far gone but I might be able to recover some of the files maybe?

Anyway thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:24 pm 
Total Newbie

I bought a NAS drive a year o ago and I was trying to upgrade the firmware to the latest version,but the firmware update managed to fail and I ended up with a bricked NAS. The result was a RED LED light blinking at me six times in a row upon reboot requiring. I tried quite a few combinations before I restoring.