Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:16 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:09 pm 
Total Newbie

Hi Guys, I have had an exhaustive time trying to figure out how to keep my "Samsung Smart TV" client settings persistent through NAS power cycles with mixed results. After power cycle, my Samsung TV and Blu Ray cannot stream files until I access the twonky config and change from generic to samsung tv. My old WDTV Live HD always appears correct on the "media receivers" page.

My goal is to use stock FW 1.60 but fix this horribly irritating bug. I do not keep the box running full-time. The Twonky is version is 6.0.34-dev.

Shonk's 1.60-mod1 keeps the client settings persistent but my box becomes unusable with this FW, I believe from it processing the media feeds add-on but not sure. The HD churns nearly full-time and 99% of the time I can't login to the web interface or telnet and my windows times-out accessing the drive map. Twonky will still normally respond but will require waiting (the media feed page normally will never load). The box is just super too busy doing something. Eventually the processing of mediafusion-integration-service.import.log stops and I can access the box ok. But it just starts right back up again for some reason. Turning dlna off keeps fixes the slowdown but I need it running!

So I opened 1.60 myself using this info in this link:
http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Ope ... are_LS-XHL
But I lost web gui access to the LS after applying my open firmware (invalid login) and running LSRecovery will not fix it. And I separately have been unsuccessful at tweaking twonky so the media receiver settings are properly remembered (or clients properly discovered).

Here are my options as I see them.
1. Figure out what in Shonk's 1.60mod1 I need to adjust so the box's performance isn't crushed.
2. Fix my open 1.60 web access problem by using a different open approach that won't kill my web access (maybe like this one: http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Ope ... ware_LS-VL)
3. Determine what will keep the twonky client settings saved if using open stock FW.

I would be grateful to anyone who can help me get my samsung devices to properly appear in the twonky client list on their own after a fresh boot. Note I'm new to linux, but I have System Rescue CD booting from USB and I can read-write to my windows ntfs.
Thanks.
-Greg

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:55 pm 

sounds like you have the squeezebox server on on 1.60 mod1
its very slow on 64mb devices turn it off

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:13 am 
Total Newbie

Shonk thank you so much for chiming in. I can confirm without a doubt the issue was not the squeeze. The setting was disabled in the gui when using 1.60 mod1. To check the situation, I put your FW back on and guess what, it's working fine now. Unbelievable. So issue resolved but the cause is still a mystery. Although the only thing I did was install your FW again, I must say that I wouldn't have installed it again had you not replied. So you fixed it!!! and you have made my life better by keeping the media receiver client settings persistent.

FYI Here's the order of my FW loads
1.5x? stock (prior version, ran it for months)
1.60 stock
1.60 mod1 (extremely unusable while dlna enabled, was very hard to even disable it due to extreme slowdown)
1.60 mod by me (bunk due to broken gui access)
1.60 stock, opened using ACP commands (fine, but stuck trying to modify twonky to save client settings between boots)
1.60 mod1 (working fine now- very strange)

Maybe the FW simply needed re-install. And maybe related to what's affected the people in this thread. viewtopic.php?f=71&t=25897

Maybe my HD space was too low during the initial 1.60 mod1 install. Total speculation, but it was nearly full- like 99.8%

Maybe it had something to do with media feed settings. I noticed with my initial 1.60 mod1 install that many of the boxes were checked (like all the handpicked radio). I had unchecked all of them at the time and rebooted, but that didn't stop the problem. Now, after installing 1.60 mod1 this second time, I see the check boxes are all unchecked by default. The LS clearly is using settings saved from the prior install.

The clue to the slowdown problem was in seeing twonky config showing that it's processing mediafusion-integration-service.import.log. When the slowdown problem (understatement) existed, the processing of this file would go on 6-8 hours and then finally stop long enough to allow telnet, gui access, etc. Then it would start up again right away and keep going another 6-8 hours, making the unit totally useless. Really curious what it was doing.

I have just enabled squeezbox and confirm it is working as expected. Yes, the box is a little slower but it's not doing anything what it was the first time around. It was so bad before that telnet wouldn't even respond with an initial login prompt when that file was being processed. Hey maybe I'll get a squeezbox now!

I really don't want to mess with it anymore but if I learn how to make this problem happen I'll report it. What a hell of a time.

Thank you.
-Greg

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:17 am 

Did you enable video transcoding
that will use 100% cpu time for weeks on end
if you have enough files to transcode

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:01 am 
Total Newbie

Nope. Never checked the boxes. And had made certain they weren't checked.

As mentioned all the check boxes related to media feeds were already unchecked after loading the FW the second time, I think due to unchecking them after the first load. I just now checked a few boxes under you tube. Then restarted twonky server from the config. The server quickly scanned my media folder as usual, then a new line showed up for maybe 15-20 seconds. The unit was responsive during this time- no issues.
Last database change: In Progress...
[+...]t/disk1/spool/mediaserver/db/mediafusion-integration-service.video-2.import.online

This line is related to the you tube check box selections and it's close enough to the line I was seeing when plagued with the original problem that I'm thinking the original problem had something to do with the default media feed selections going wild. The crazy thing is that after I had originally unchecked all the media feed boxes during the first load (troubleshooting) my problem had remained unchanged even after reboots.

The box is definitely stable right now with the current load, even with squeeze running and the you tube checks. Part of me wants to find out the source cause (keep checking feed boxes?), but dang it was painful to stop dlna without waiting for the process to finish- LSUpdater wouldn't even detect the LS when the problem was going on. It was that tied up- HD constantly churned the whole time.