Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:42 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Running custom scripts
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:32 pm 

Hi!

How can I run some custom scripts on my LS-CHL fw 1.56. They need only basic variable handling wget and sed. They are written for ubuntu standard (bash) shell, but it would be much more convenient to run them on my LS.

Obviously I could install 1.54-Mod1 on my LS but is there a way to make the scripts run on the stock firmware.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:59 pm 

Lowsun wrote:
Hi!

How can I run some custom scripts on my LS-CHL fw 1.56. They need only basic variable handling wget and sed. They are written for ubuntu standard (bash) shell, but it would be much more convenient to run them on my LS.

Obviously I could install 1.54-Mod1 on my LS but is there a way to make the scripts run on the stock firmware.

You need to get command-line access to your Linkstation - typically by enabling telnet and/or ssh. There are various threads on the forums to achieve that, including one of mine,
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=24789

Once you've got access, put your script somewhere (/usr/local/bin is a good choice for custom programs & scripts), make it executable and you should be good to go.

The Linkstation LS-CHLv2 looks to be running a butchered version of Ubuntu - so it's very likely that your scripts will 'just work'.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:54 am 

After some research it seams to me that to get telnet or ssh access to LS running fw1.56 my options would be:

1) dismantling the LS and hooking the HD to my laptop
2) Re-flashing the LS with firmware that has access enabled

What I would like to do however would be to just copy the files, setting the access rights and starting daemons remotely. It seams that at least with older Fw it was possible.

Alternatively just copying the scripts and starting them remotely would be fine too, since once started with proper permissions they'll run indefinitely by themselves.

Is there any way to get any sort of remote access to Fw 1.56 without re-flashing or dismantling?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:47 pm 

You haven't searched hard enough. ;-)
Look at the LS-VL section of our wiki.
You will find a guide to open the firmware by software only (no
dismantling or reflash necessary).

If there is no verified backup of a dataset, the dataset, by definition, is unimportant. (c't 2012)

RAID (no matter which level) never ever substitutes a backup. (me)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:35 am 

I got the telnet access working by using insruction for fw 1.20 from http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Ope ... are_LS-XHL

Only the su is not working, but I could probably get it working by symlinking su to busybox and then hacking the root password trough web-interface security hole, or directly with acp_commander. But since I so far haven't got any reason to mess around in my LS with root privileges I haven't tried to fix the su.