Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:01 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:05 am 

OK, I will do that. Thanks, Oxygen8.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:49 pm 

I think the Transmission configs and trackers loaded will be erased during the upgrade. One will probably have to copy some of the Transmission files in the .config directory to another place and copy them back after installing the client.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:30 pm 

thats why i use /mnt/disk1/share/.config/transmission-daemon on my howto

http://forum.nas-hilfe.de/buffalo-technology-nas-anleitungen/transmission-auf-der-linkstation-live-und-pro-ls-chlv2-ls-xhl-ls-vl-mit-rotem-webinterface-t749.html

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:20 am 

Thanks! That was very helpful. Now, I can back up everything easily.

I'm not sure if I'll be needing the share directory for public access and if I should put the .config directory there, so I decided to put it in a torrents directory, which also contains my downloads, incomplete, trackers (watch directory), and trashbox.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:07 pm 

I am currently experiencing a past problem which I can't resolve. Here's the situation.

I'm using a D-Link DIR-655 router with uPnP turned off and IP address 192.168.0.1 connected to a cable modem.

I have the ff. connected to the router.

- desktop PC with static IP 192.168.0.100 and uTorrent using port 33981

- NAS with static IP 192.168.0.101 with Transmission using port 33982

Each port is forwarded in the router.

I get a sample torrent with hundreds of seeds and peers.

In the PC, the torrent download speed is normal: around 300 KB/s.

For the NAS, the torrent speed is slow, between 0 and 5 KB/s.

I ran NMap in the PC to check the NAS at 192.168.0.101, and port 33982 is reported as opened.

Finally, I tried Transmission for Windows in the PC (same port and torrent), and the torrent speed was fast.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:02 am 

Just wanted to say thanks for the guide (and oxygen8, of course!). I'm a complete Linux and networking noob, and got Transmission installed on my LS-XL in no time! These steps worked perfectly for me.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:32 am 

transmission takes a lot of memory 44/50mb
after a day of use with 20-40 active torrents becomes unmanageable.
There is a script that daily kill the process and restart it to wipe the memory?
Or is there an old version that takes up less resources?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:52 am 

I found out elsewhere that torrent downloading may require a lot of memory. I realized this after testing a unit (which has 64 MB RAM) and a used netbook (with 1 GB RAM) to download four files using the same router and modem. The speed for the former was 50 kb/s and the latter 200 kb/s or more.

Given that, I am thinking of using the NAS for sharing files locally and the netbook for P2P until it breaks down, after which I will get a Raspberry Pi model that has the most memory.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:06 am 

LS-CHLV2
600MHz 64MB

Reduce disk cache size!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:48 am 

Thanks! I didn't change the disk cache and it was set to 4 MB. I will experiment further, though, and see what happens.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:41 pm 

I subscribed to a new ISP with lots of bandwidth and got a new router, but the problem remains, even with a 4 MB disk cache size. I'm guessing that it's better to have more than enough RAM.

Edit: I found out what happened. Sometimes, when I delete one or more large torrents the process causes speeds to become lower. They go back to normal only after I reboot the device.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:57 am 

How can I check if Transmission is running? I've been successfully using it for about the past year, but as of today I am unable to connect to Transmission on my LS-XL. The NAS is working fine otherwise.

EDIT: Ok, I just tried accessing Transmission again via Transmission Remote GUI and the Web UI and get the following:

403: Forbidden

Unauthorized IP Address.

Either disable the IP address whitelist or add your address to it.

If you're editing settings.json, see the 'rpc-whitelist' and 'rpc-whitelist-enabled' entries.

If you're still using ACLs, use a whitelist instead. See the transmission-daemon manpage for details.

I'm not having success editing the .json file through putty. Is there a way I can access and edit the file with Windows Explorer?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:53 am 
Total Newbie

Hy to all of you and Thanks for your continue job.
I'm a newbe and i would like to ask you:

If i install the last shonk new fimware and trasnsmission with your post, i loose all my media in my NAS (buffalo ls-chl v2 with original firmware) or only the firmware is interested in this upgrade?

Thanks

Paolo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:34 pm 

I had to put in a new HD and re-install Transmission.

I am experiencing the same problem: a 403 error when I try to access the Transmission web GUI.

I found out that there is a settings.json in

/mnt/disk1/share/.config/transmission-daemon/settings.json

and also in

/root/.config/transmission-daemon/settings.json

I looked at the contents of the first one using the command

screen mcedit /mnt/disk1/share/.config/transmission-daemon/settings.json

and the RPC settings are correct: *.*.*.* and "true," respectively, but I still got the 403 error.

When I edited the second settings.json, I saw that the first RPC setting was set to "0.0.0.0," so I corrected it, and the 403 error disappeared.

The problem is that after a day or two file transfers stopped working. When I logged into the unit using web access, the information section of the page showed zero disk space used. When I rebooted the unit, I could no longer access the drive, so I had to reinstall the firmware.

Last edited by monkeylove on Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:43 pm 

Also, I am currently using the built-in torrent client.

For some reason, the scheduler does not follow the system time.

I went to the NAS web configuration, checked the system data and time (NTP and time zone as well), and they are correct. I used Putty and the "date" command also shows the correct time.

But when I use the torrent scheduler, it is off by seven hours, so I adjusted the schedule accordingly.

I found out by clicking on each of the hourly boxes before the current one of the day to set it to white (turn off file transfers) and see where file transfers were turned off.