Me myself had some troubles installing Transmission, and I wanted to help others in my situation.
First of all, read this guide:http://translate.google.de/translate?hl ... -t749.html
But also have one window open without the Google translate since it distorts some of the messages in the translation. Problably the best way is to have some German friend translate it. Ok lets continue...
1. Connect to the linkstation web interface and restore to factory defaults under "Settings" if I remember correctly.
2. Download Shonks firmware 1.37 mod1 and install with LSupdate.exe
3. Download Putty to connect with telnet
4. In Putty, connect to "nas" using telnet (the mod changed from "192.168...." IP to just simple "nas").
5. connect as "root" and no password
6. When connected. Type "passwd" and then it asks you to set your own password for the login "root".
7. Copy paste each line from section 4 in the german guide mentioned above. In putty you just right-click to paste. REMEMBER TO COPY FROM THE ORIGINAL GERMAN VERSION, AND NOT THE TRANSLATED.
8. Follow with section 5 until 5.4.1
9. When you are at 5.4.1 make the same changes as mentioned in the guide, but I had to change these lines to:
Dont forget to create your own password for the login "Transmission".
10. Save by pressing F2, and then enter or press "S".
11. Quit by pressing F10.
12. in putty, type "reboot"
13. When the Linkstation has rebooted (be patient), connect to the Transmission webUI with "http://nas:9091", login: "Transmission", password: the password you selected in stage "9".
14. Follow section 6 in the german guide if you want to install the remote GUI, which I recommend!
Good luck. Hope this is of help to people that got confused as me...