Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:44 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:59 pm 

I have been following several guides in an attempt to automate torrent downloads with rss feeds. I'll post what I did as others might find it useful and also so I can remember what I did in six months time.

This uses transmission as the bittorrent client, flexget as the rss parser, and transmissionrpc to connect the two together. It is great to have your favourite tv shows automatically downloaded as they are released!

This guide is mostly based off this post which is for rtorrent, and this post for flexget and some other bits for transmissionrpc. Here are the steps in full (this assumes the firmware is already opened and telnet/ssh able)

Firstly install transmission by following these excellent instructions

Once this has been done the next step is to install python

Code:
ipkg install python

Check what version is installed (mine was python 2.5) so you can select the right versions of other python tools (replace py25 with py26 if running version 2.6)

Next install all the dependencies for flexget
Code:
ipkg install py25-setuptools
ipkg install py25-sqlalchemy
ipkg install py25-feedparser
ipkg install py25-yaml

Download flexget for 2.5 from here, and put it in the /share folder on the nas. Install it using the command:
Code:
easy_install-2.5 /mnt/disk1/share/flexget.egg

verify the installation using
Code:
python /opt/local/bin/flexget -V

Next to install transmission rpc, download the version for python 2.5 from here and put it in the share folder.

Code:
easy_install-2.5 transmissionrpc-0.6-py2.5.egg

Flexget uses a configuration file to do the downloading. Here is a sample configuration file for tv shows, more information can be found on the flexget wiki here or from this site, I placed my config file in ~/.flexnet/config.yml
Code:
presets:
  tv:
    series:
      settings:
        720p:
          timeframe: 6 hours
          quality: 720p
          set:
            movedone: "/mnt/disk1/share/media/TV-Shows/%(series_name)s/Season %(series_season)s/"

HDTV:
          quality: hdtv
          set:
            movedone: "/mnt/disk1/share/media/TV-Shows/%(series_name)s/Season %(series_season)s/"

720p:
        - yourshow1name:
        - yourshow2name:
            exact: yes

HDTV:
        - yourshow3name:

transmissionrpc:
      host: localhost
      port: 9091
      username: Transmission
      password: Transmission
      removewhendone: True

feeds:
  EZRSS:
    rss: http://www.ezrss.it/feed/
    preset: tv

Finally flexget can be called by
Code:
python /opt/local/bin/flexget

It is best to add this as a cron job that gets called repeatedly every 30 minutes or so to make sure the torrents get added in a timely manner.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:53 pm 

Perfect! Thank you!

For others reading this: "transmissionrpc" should be "transmission" in the flexget config file

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:09 pm 

Great tutorial. Is it possible to have nzbget download the files instead of transmission?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:10 pm 

nzbget can not load torrent

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:40 pm 

I know. I wanted to have Flexget grab nzb's and place from in a watch folder. Just looking for a config.

EDIT: Got it working. I am now just looking for processing examples that sorts my TV downloads. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:03 pm 
Total Newbie

Thanks for the tutorial!

I used to use the built in uTorrent but it didn't always work and the lack of rss bugged me.

Just wondering though, does the movedone: work for you with transmission? It doesn't seem to move my files and looking at the flexget help files it seems this is for Deluge?

Whilst setting this up I found this useful program though which creates the config.yml file for you. It's pretty good. Not tested the output but even if you use it for bits and bobs saves a lot of headaches!

www.flexgetcfc.co.uk - FlexGet Configuration File Creator! :D

cheers

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:20 pm 
Total Newbie

Hello Guys,

In case you still struggling with an auto-download feature for the Buffalo NAS' transmission client, I developed a simple android application that doesn't require any modification on the server.

It works with showrss.info service for the feeds, and adds the torrent directly into the Transmission Web interface.

The app still in development, but I already uploaded an Alpha version so you can start testing. To grab it, you need to join the Google Plus group (which have some screenshots of the app) here: https://plus.google.com/communities/114 ... 9290348808 than head to the google play link: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/an ... missionweb, become a tester and follow the instructions.

Please, leave your feedback and/or suggestions.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:26 pm 
Total Newbie

robertokl wrote:
Hello Guys,

In case you still struggling with an auto-download feature for the Buffalo NAS' transmission client, I developed a simple android application that doesn't require any modification on the server.

It works with showrss.info service for the feeds, and adds the torrent directly into the Transmission Web interface.

The app still in development, but I already uploaded an Alpha version so you can start testing. To grab it, you need to join the Google Plus group (which have some screenshots of the app) here: https://plus.google.com/communities/114 ... 9290348808 than head to the google play link: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/an ... missionweb, become a tester and follow the instructions.

Please, leave your feedback and/or suggestions.

Thanks.

Hi Robertokl

I would like to have a look at your android app but it says I need an invite to join your group.

Regards

Derek

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:00 pm 
Total Newbie

derekmcl wrote:
Hi Robertokl

I would like to have a look at your android app but it says I need an invite to join your group.

Regards

Derek

Hi Derek,

I removed the APP from the beta stage, so you should be able to install it straight from google play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... 5QAfj9j_aw