Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:57 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Stuck on Raid Scan
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:15 pm 
Total Newbie

This is all on a TS-XL/R5 with 4 * 2GB HDDs configured with Raid 5

A few days ago my daily email from my TS-XL/R5 started to contain a disk status of 1 for disk 2 whereas all other drives had status 0. Logging on to the web interface showed nothing wrong and all services appeared to be running. In case this was just a glitch I rebooted the NAS and all seemed fine however the next day it was still showing a status 1 in the daily email but nothing in the web interface. At this point I initiated a raid scan (thurs 5th or friday 6th) and that scan is still running. I can logon to the web interface and be informed that all services are disabled due to the raid scan but the progress indicator simply says "Progress" (not 10% or 20% but the word "progress"). The lights on the NAS all flash simultaneously twice, there's then a pause and that repeats although the pause is anywhere between an estimated 0.5 and 1.5 seconds. NAS Navigator can see the device but tells me that the drive is not formatted (presumably/hopefully because of the raid scan).

Any ideas on whether the scan really is running and if so where I might be able to get progress information from or maybe a safe way to cancel the scan? As this is mainly used as a temporary store for admins only and so only gets backed up at the weekend it's Murphy's Law that I need access to something on this that hasn't yet been backed up.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Stuck on Raid Scan
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:33 pm 
Total Newbie

So..........The gap between the HDD LEDs flashing had got to around 15-20 seconds so I decided to try to reboot thhe NAS. I pressed and held the power button until there was a short beep, waitied a few minutes and nothing appeared to happen. I pressed and held the power button until there was a long beep, waitied a few minutes and nothing appeared to happen. I pressed the power button again and straight away the NAS started a cold boot and is currently up and running with no apparent problem.

Needless to say I'll change the backup schedule now.