Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:57 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:29 pm 
Total Newbie

Hello,

since today I am owner of an TS-XL/R5 NAS and still waiting for the RAID 5 to complete syncing which will take nearly 30 hours :( So I decided to check out how to get root access on this device to modify it a little bit, since I noticed this wasn't possible anymore from an older FW till now. My goal was to run the PS3 Media Server (DLNA) because I couldn't get the built-in one to work with my Samsung D6200 Smart TV for MKV streaming. The Samsung AllShare SOftware works but unfortunately is only available for Windows at the moment and I don't wanted to always have my Laptop running.

Anyway it worked for me with some collected information from all over the web which I wanted to share with you guys. That was the reason for my registration here!

Thanks to all users from all over the web who contributed and especially to "liberado" for his nice findings.
I've merged everything together...

Quote:
ROOT @ TERASTATION 3 TS-XL/R5 (FW1.57)

- Download: http://downloads.buffalo.nas-central.or ... mander.jar

Execute the following commands and replace NAS_IP, ADMINPASSWORD & NEWROOTPASS!
- NAS_IP is the IP of your NAS
- adminpassword is the login password for the webinterface
- newrootpass will be the new root password for the system

1. java -jar acp_commander.jar -t NAS_IP -ip NAS_IP -pw adminpassword -c "(echo newrootpass;echo newrootpass)|passwd"

2. java -jar acp_commander.jar -t NAS_IP -ip NAS_IP -pw adminpassword -c "echo 'UsePAM no' >>/etc/sshd_config"

3. java -jar acp_commander.jar -t NAS_IP -ip NAS_IP -pw adminpassword -c "sed -i 's/PermitRootLogin no/PermitRootLogin yes/g' /etc/sshd_config"

4. java -jar acp_commander.jar -t NAS_IP -ip NAS_IP -pw adminpassword -c "/etc/init.d/sshd.sh restart"

5. java -jar acp_commander.jar -t NAS_IP -c "/usr/sbin/telnetd" -ip NAS_IP

- Use a telnet client like PuTTy (check Telnet and select Port 23)

- Open CMD window / Shell

"telnet NAS_IP"

User: root
Pass: (just entered rootpass)

The login via SSH isn't working at this time because it's using it's own SSHD from /usr/local/sbin/sshd for which I couldn't find any sshd_config to enable root logins etc. Maybe someone knows how to find it? PS and TOP didn't show it. But I am not the unix geek. But since telnet is working which you can access via PuTTy everything is manageable.

In case you're also interested in getting the built-in DLNA server to work with more Receivers/Clients and to maximize it's opportunities you can simple enter the config URL for Twonky which is used by Buffalo by default.
http://<our_nas_ip:9050/config

This config helped me to get MKV (even 1080p 3D MKV) working with a special exception. I need to change the file format from .mkv to .avi which shouldn't be a huge problem:

(/usr/local/twonly/resources/clients.db)

ID:096 // this can be different for everyone
>> // do not comment this!
NA:Samsung UE55D6200 DLNA 1.5
HH:SEC_HHP_[TV]UE55D6200/1.0 // usually the TV's header, but optional
HP:chunked
XM:DLNA10
XM:DATETIME
DB:AUTO
DL:MP4DLNA
MT:mkv video/MP4V-ES // changing this to x-divx doesn't work
MT:avi,divx video/x-divx // adding mkv here won't have any effect
MT:mp4 video/MP4V-ES
MT:mpeg,mpeg2,vdr,spts,tp,ts,m2ts video/mpeg
MT:ogg audio/x-ogg
MT:flac audio/flac
MT:mp1,mp2,mp3 audio/mpeg
MT:mp3 audio/mp3

Try to change the Renderer in Twonky configuration (url above). If it seems write locked, take a look at the client-data file where the actually used renderer id is set like 003xxx. I set this to 003096 because my renderer is set to ID:096.

Good luck!

Regards from germany
Hoax

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:23 am 
Total Newbie

Thanks for the great post! The ssh via root issue is due to root being denied via /etc/pam.d/sshd. You'll notice the top line specifies /etc/ftpusers to be searched for denied usernames for authentication.

I simply pointed this to a different deny file (which must exist), which did not contain root. Alter the first line of /etc/pam.d/sshd:
Code:
auth     required   pam_listfile.so item=user sense=deny file=/etc/sshusers onerr=succeed

or you could simply remove root from /etc/ftpusers.

Either way, remember to
Code:
/etc/init.d/sshd.sh restart

afterwards.

Cheers

Craig

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:31 am 

try minidlnad as DLNA server

V1.0.25
http://sourceforge.net/projects/minidlna/
or V1.1.0 from git / csv

an old instatllation guide is available here
http://forum.nas-hilfe.de/buffalo-techn ... t1130.html

good luck

PS: I have an Linkstation Live withe the V1.1.0 minidlnad running and the same TV - works fine

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:53 am 

This did not work for me (version 1.66), due to changes that Buffalo made to the firmware since you posted your solution. Digging deeper, I found a painless solution and posted it in this thread.

Happy trails.