Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:49 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 599 posts ]  Go to page Previous 136 37 38 39 40
 Post subject: Re: micro_evtd
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:53 pm 
Site Admin

Good to see you got it sorted.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:23 am 

Hi lb_worm,

I assume you still did not have the time for this:
lb_worm wrote:
I will dig-out and post the bit of test code required to chase this process issue. I will also release a completed INITRD image with the updated/corrected WOL feature

:?:

• upcoming: ampache (+ coherence), aria2, slimrat, apache, streamripper (record what my soundbridge is playing)...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:54 pm 

Thread dead...finally?!

• upcoming: ampache (+ coherence), aria2, slimrat, apache, streamripper (record what my soundbridge is playing)...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:58 pm 
Total Newbie

Have installed the micro_evtd on Linkstation Live running opened stock firmware - so far so good.
Have thought I can keep the stock's miconmon and use micro-evtd only for triggering manually the standby mode and then use WOL to wake up, but looks like it requires some modifications for micro-evtd scripts. Anyway applied a simple schedule that works fine for me and everything is OK.
I have made 2 small mods for the trunk stuff:
- changed one line in the makefile: from 'CC ?=gcc' to 'CC=gcc' - without it the make was reporting issue with cc ..
- used the micro_evtd.conf revision 31 not the trunk's most recent one (72)

@lb_worm
Is there any way to enable some lights in standby mode? Need to be close enough to the device to be able to hear it to find out if it is ON or OFF.
When the Linkstation boots up it makes some sound. Going into the standby mode the system is rebooted so the sound is played too. I wonder if there is any way to get rid of it?

janosik47
---------------------------------
LS Live v2 Open Stock Firmware (kernel: 2.6.16.16-arm1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:33 pm 

Could someone advise if micro_evtd works on an openstock LS-CHL and LS-CHLv2? I want to be able to sleep the box, have it wake on a schedule and wake it from a WOL packet?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:09 pm 

Hi z0mbi3,

I've just gotten micro_evtd installed on my LS-CHL v1 running straight Debian Lenny following fairly closely the bootstrapping install method for the LS-CHL v2 written by mmanzato.

I have noticed that it has altered the LED flashing that was going on on my box, so it's definitely changed some behaviour.

So far I've used the micro_evtd.event script to try to interrogate the box, but not gotten far. I think I'm going to have to read the whole of this thread and then I might have to have a chat with lb_worm about modifying this to work on my system.

I'm a bit lost as to the differences between the various boxes, and I think this was written for LS Live v1/v2 / Kurobox - hence till I know more about the differences in hardware I'm a bit stuck.

EDIT:

Having played about with micro_evtd on my LS-CHL.v1 - but not having spent much time reading the source code (yet) I'm pretty sure that this will not work on these boxes in it's current form. lb_worm has not logged in here for nearly a year - so I guess he has fixed what he needs and moved on. This probably means we are alone in our efforts and should look at fixing the prob ourselves.

As my LED and fans seem to be controlled in some ways differently after installing micro_evtd, I am wondering if it is possible to develop the current code to be a bit more flexible concerning different architectures and get it to run on these boxes too. It's been a while since I last did a but of coding, but I'm up for a bit of dev work in the background.

I'm looking into starting a dev group for the project as I think others may have been working on this already - and it would be a shame to waste effort. This may take some time though - and I first need to check that my machine is not going to fry itself while doing any other work I need it to do.

Cheers,
Ewano

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:52 pm 

I'm currently trying to update the wiki pages, so that others can also re-create a Debian Lenny ARMel system completely from scratch.
One major part is micro_evtd to keep the watchdog happy and fans plus temperature under control (standby and WOL functionality from lb_worm's initrd is not mandatory for the NAS to run).
After reading the complete thread it seems that lb_worm is now absent.
Would be great if any coder who is interested would join the micro-evtd project at https://sourceforge.net/projects/ppc-evtd/

To avoid confusion I just checked out all possible sources, which are:

Naming and Versioning
Unfortunately lb_worm was not very consistent with these.
The binary and other files are named with an underscore (micro_evtd). While the repository, and therefore the Debian package, is using a minus (micro-evtd).
Also he didn't/couldn't maintain "version.h" correctly due to several circumstances, that's why the repository has/had a lower version number than his releases here, although the code was newer.

1. SVN Repository (Browse)
    This is the latest version of micro_evtd.
    Note that the repository only contains micro_evtd. It is missing all the additional stuff for the initrd to support standby and WOL.
    Code:
    # use checkout instead of export to retain revision information
    svn checkout https://ppc-evtd.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/ppc-evtd/micro-evtd/trunk/
  2. Debian package (Developer Information)
    This is currently a debianized release of micro_evtd-2008-06-26 with additional patches and pid_file support.
    Code:
    # to download
    gpg --keyserver hkp://pgpkeys.pca.dfn.de --recv-keys 68FD549F
    apt-get source micro-evtd
    apt-get build-dep micro-evtd

# to build
    cd micro-evtd-3.3.3
    dpkg-buildpackage
    cd ..
  3. NAS-Central downloads (Browse)
    These are older snapshots from the micro_evtd development by lb_worm.
    But these are still interesting as they contain the source code of the additional stuff for the initrd to support standby and WOL. Also corresponding initrd images and the boot_options file are available in the parent directories. Don't know if these image include the latest changes mentioned by lb_worm on the last pages.

Current shortcomings:
* no cross-compilation (e.g. on x86); fixed in r126 (see make help)
* can not "cross-install" into a debootstrapped rootfs (e.g. on x86); build roots support added in r126 (see make help)

InitRD:
The Initial RAMDisk (initrd) for Freelink is based on the LS-Pro Firmware 1.00-042 (ls-gl_100-042.zip).

Changes between Stock initrd and Freelink 1.0rev2 initrd:
  • New files:
    • /bin/wget
    • /etc/wgetrc
  • Moved files:
    - From /usr/sbin to /sbin (but identical):
    • fsck.xfs
    • mkfs.xfs
    • xfs_repair
  • Modified files:
    • /etc/init.d/rcS: telnetd enabled
    • /etc/shadow: root password removed
    • /linuxrc: (lots of changes)
      - overwrites values from libbuffalo
      - CopyFromInitrdToHdd(): bypassing function when OTHER_DISTRIBUTION is set to YES
      - CopyFromInitrdToHdd(): /etc/linkstation_emergence copied to $ROOTPATH/initrd_ver instead of /mnt/etc/initrd_ver (Necessary? Correct?)
      - CopyFromInitrdToHdd(): removed unreachable code at end
      - many more changes
    • /usr/local/bin/libbuffalo:
      - format_SystemArea(): allow different fs format via SYSTEM_FORMAT from boot_options; plus inclusion of /boot/system_format if available

Further changes in StandBy initrd:
  • New files:
    • /boot (empty directory) (Necessary? Correct?)
    • /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (Necessary? For what?)
    • /usr/bin/autologin (Necessary? For what?)
    • /usr/local/sbin/setMAC (directly executed via inclusion of /boot/boot_options)
    • /usr/local/sbin/wol
    • micro_evtd files in /etc and /usr/local/sbin:
      • /etc/default/micro_evtd (config)
      • /etc/micro_evtd/EventScript
      • /usr/local/sbin/micro_evtd
  • Modified files:
    • /linuxrc: (several changes)
      - use micro_evtd to inform user about different states (Update, EM mode, etc.)
      - use micro_evtd instead of miconapl in several places
      - mounting MPT_BOOT with hard-coded /dev/sda1 instead of /dev/${DEV_BOOT}
      - added standby routine

Last edited by maddes on Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:48 am 

maddes wrote:
I'm currently trying to update the wiki pages, so that others can also re-create a Debian Lenny ARMel system completely from scratch.

I'm trying to make that "recreate from scratch" thing with the PowerPC Kuroboxes. For now, I've granted you access to the svn repo and I see that you just made some commits, which is good.

I wonder if we could share some code between avr-evtd and micro-evtd. At least the infra-structure (makefiles, parsing functions etc) could be shared.

BTW, for those users of avr-evtd, is there anybody still using the MELCO configuration? (Under the /etc/melco directory) I would like to rip apart that to make the code smaller and easier to read.

Regards, Rogério Brito.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:08 pm 

A new beta version of micro-evtd has been released: v3.4 beta
It includes changes made until April 2009 by lb_worm plus some administrative changes to help create a good Debian package.
Most important is the rename to "micro-evtd" with a dash, no more underscores.
Please read the change log for all details.

View the source at the project's homepage on SourceForge. At the bottom is a link to easily download it as a tar ball.

Opinions, error reports and comments are welcome here.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:01 pm 

Hi maddes,

I've just installed the Lenny-armel image 0.3.2 (http://forum.buffalo.nas-central.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5736&p=72241&#p72241) on my Linkstation Live V1 and the latest version of micro-evtd from svn-repository, but I'm experiencing some problems with micro-evtd.

I did the following after unpacking the tarball:
Code:
make -f micro-evtd.mak
make -f micro-evtd.mak removeold
make -f micro-evtd.mak uninstall

to remove all old stuff, then
Code:
make -f micro-evtd.mak install

to install the new version of micro-evtd. I also created manually the symbolic link at the end of the installation
Code:
ln -s ../init.d/micro-evtd /etc/rcS.d/S70micro-evtd

in /etc/init.d/rcS

The only thing that seems to be working currently is to set the fan speed
Code:
MONITOR = 4

in /etc/micro-evtd.conf

Trying to use debug mode with
Code:
DEBUG = 1

does not create debug file /var/log/micro-evtd.log
Also setting standby events like
Code:
SUN-SAT=OFF=18:15,ON=18:30

does neither write a message five minutes before standby event in console nor set the Linkstation into standby at specified time.
The other options in micro-evtd.conf are still commented out to use defaults.

Obviously, I did something wrong during installation and I was not able to find a documentation what to do exactly.

Could you give me any advice?

Regards
sebi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:45 pm 

Will be able to check this in two weeks, currently I have to deal with several important private issues.

Maddes

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:56 am 

Does anybody know whether the initrd for Debian 6 (http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Ins ... n_Pro/Live) also contains lb_worms WOL initrd customization?
I'd like to upgrade my old rusty LSPro from Debian 4 (etch) to 6 but I don't want to loose WOL functionality.

Edit:
Ok, found it out myself by extracting the initrd for Debian 6: As it seems, it does not contain any standby/wol functionality. What a bummer!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:25 am 
Total Newbie

@maddes
does the initrd turn usb power off? or just hdd off?
do you know where exactly I can find the code/script to turn the hdd power off?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:41 pm 

Quote:
does not create debug file /var/log/micro-evtd.log
Also setting standby events like
Code:
SUN-SAT=OFF=18:15,ON=18:30

does neither write a message five minutes before standby event in console nor set the Linkstation into standby at specified time.
The other options in micro-evtd.conf are still commented out to use defaults.

micro-evtd.conf must have TMP=/tmp/
in order to get logs and status files create correctly in /var/log and /tmp

local time zone setup correctly in both normal bootup environment and standby environment are required for standby/wake up to work, some times ntp sync in the system will mess things up.

I have get a completely working system recently after try and error for 4 days, if anyone interested just ask...

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 599 posts ]  Go to page Previous 136 37 38 39 40