Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:08 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 599 posts ]  Go to page Previous 134 35 36 37 3840 Next
 Post subject: Re: micro_evtd
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:38 am 
Site Admin

i need to get my dust covered ls pro running again i guess......i never had the time to test this standby initrd + wol wakeup + timed shutdown/startup

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:58 am 

lb_worm wrote:
I do not know if the stock system uses or sets the RUNLEVEL correctly. You can try it out. You could always set this yourself in either of the scripts. Just export RUNLEVEL=x, where x is the desired number.
That would be fine, I can handle it for simple startup and shutdown... just wonder if micro_evtd's standy/wake up rely on any of these RUNLEVE and a set of processes needed to be start/stop when enter/exit standby mode would based on different RUNLEVELs, if this is the case that would be something need extra handling with the existing Stock environment.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:54 am 
Developer

There is a possibility that the lenny3 package is broken, This is what I got this morning.
Code:
Preparing to replace micro-evtd 3.3.3-6+lenny2 (using .../micro-evtd_3.3.3-6+lenny3_armel.deb) ...
Stopping Daemon for Linkstation/Kuro micro controller: micro-evtd apparently not running.
Unpacking replacement micro-evtd ...
Code:
Setting up micro-evtd (3.3.3-6+lenny3) ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/init.d/micro-evtd ...
Starting Daemon for Linkstation/Kuro micro controller: micro-evtd failed!
invoke-rc.d: initscript micro-evtd, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing micro-evtd (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Setting up php5-common (5.2.6.dfsg.1-1+lenny2) ...
Setting up php5-cli (5.2.6.dfsg.1-1+lenny2) ...
Setting up php5-mysql (5.2.6.dfsg.1-1+lenny2) ...
Setting up ssh (1:5.1p1-5) ...
Setting up tasksel-data (2.78) ...
Setting up tasksel (2.78) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 micro-evtd
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
Not got time today to investigate it more.. maybe tomorrow.

LS-H120LAN(PPC) - Dev (foonas)
LS-H120LAN(PPC) - Freelink - 2.6.23.8
LS-H250LAN(MIPS) - Dev (foonas-em, foonas)
LS-HS400DGL(PPC) - Freelink
Thecus N1200 - Ubuntu 8.10

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:42 am 
Site Admin

Need to post this to the Debian maintainer to address. have you managed to find the problem?

I have posted, under my downloads in the micro_evtd area, a testing drop of the latest daemon. This has undergone many changes and improvements to get to this version. We now have the delay-standy system which allows the user to specify a series of processes which may prevent the box entering standby. I have spent the last couple of weeks testing this and its ready for Beta testing. Its controlled by an entry in the .conf file:

DELAY-STANDBY=process1,process2,..........

Its a simple process of checking at standby which are still present. It will delay re-check for 5 minutes and repeats this until it can stop. If the next event time is reached then this check is stopped and the cycle repeats until the next event.

I will address the man pages etc soon and hopefully we can get any issues resolved too.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:54 am 
Developer

Sorry lb_worm, have been in London the last couple of days, will attempt to have a look around tonight.

LS-H120LAN(PPC) - Dev (foonas)
LS-H120LAN(PPC) - Freelink - 2.6.23.8
LS-H250LAN(MIPS) - Dev (foonas-em, foonas)
LS-HS400DGL(PPC) - Freelink
Thecus N1200 - Ubuntu 8.10

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:09 am 

lb_worm wrote:
I have posted, under my downloads in the micro_evtd area, a testing drop of the latest daemon.

Great! I will install that version today.

Btw, I think you can close 0000236: /boot/pending_standby is missing form time to time

As soon there is a "non-testing" initrd, 0000266: Wake on LAN does not work with some/most WOL-tools can be closed as well!

Another question; you posted this a couple of days ago:
lb_worm wrote:
Many changes made to the timer parser and it now accepts any combination of entries and multiple entries for week days and groups, ie:

SUN-SAT=OFF>06:00
MON=ON=13:00
TUE=OFF=00:10,ON=12:00
WED-FRI=OFF=00:00,ON=07:00,OFF=09:10,ON=18:45
FRI=OFF=19:00
SAT=OFF=00:00,ON=10:00

1st line indicates that if the box was to awake at any time during the week it would not stay on for more than 6 hrs.

Is it also possible to limit the >06:00 feature to a time slot?
Short example, it would be nice to say:

"The box may not stay on for longer than 2 hours from monday to friday, but only when it has been woken up between 9:11 and 16:44 (which fits my other ON and OFF times)".

• upcoming: ampache (+ coherence), aria2, slimrat, apache, streamripper (record what my soundbridge is playing)...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:11 pm 

I've been testing the recent micro_evtd including the latest source from the website downloads area posted a few days ago and am finding that often my LS LIVE2 won't go into standby. It looks like the pending_standby file isn't created. Creating this file myself with contents "-1" causes the box to go into standby and I can wake it via WOL.

One thing I've found in the course of debugging this behaviour is that the values parsed from the micro_evtd.conf file seem to be mis-interpreted by micro_evtd. This can lead to the wakeup time being calculated as being before the standby time, and resulting in a large negative value being written to the pending_standby file.
For example, if I have the following lines in my micro_evtd.conf file:

MON=ON=13:00
TUE=OFF=00:10,ON=12:00
SUN=OFF=14:00,ON=22:00,OFF=23:00

and restart the micro_evtd daemon, then I get the following message logged in /var/log/messages:

Feb 15 19:55:02 buffalo micro_evtd: Micro-monitor daemon Version 3.2.5
Feb 15 19:55:12 buffalo micro_evtd: Standby is set with 02/17 00:10 02/16 13:00

This seems to be to be saying that the standby time is after the wakeup time. However, if I now set the system date back a few hours and restart the daemon, I get the following messages logged:

Feb 15 13:00:09 buffalo micro_evtd: Micro-monitor daemon Version 3.2.5
Feb 15 13:00:19 buffalo micro_evtd: Standby is set with 02/15 14:00 02/16 13:00

Which seems to be as it should be, according to my understanding of the config file.

It seems to me that something is going awry in the parse_configuration() function, but I haven't been able to work through the code and find the problem yet. I wanted to flag this up in case someone with more familiarity with the code (lb_worm?) could pinpoint it more quickly.

I'll take another look at the code tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:59 pm 
Site Admin

gmv100: thanks for the posting. The parser was truncating the time line, now fixed, and not picking up the remainder of the standby times. I will post this ASAP. Regarding the times, you can end up with on times showing before off times if the box is woken outside of the event times. The timer process will correct this when the actual event time is passed and at this point a new timer value will be displayed.

The value you are entering as -1 indicates to the daemon that no wake up time is set. You should normally see large times (in seconds) in the /boot/pending_standby file. I think the issues you have seen with it not going into standby are as a result of that mentioned in para 1. As I said, I will post this new drop and see if it fixes these issues.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:48 pm 

I'm a bit confused as to when the pending_standby file gets written. For the moment I have temorarily commented out any ON, OFF or day timings in miro_evtd.conf. On startup there is no file /etc/pending_standby. If I issue the command 'microapl -a standby' to force standby the system reboots and because there is no /boot/pending_standby the system boots normally. If I issue the commands 'echo -1 > /boot/pending_standby; microapl -a standby' then the system reboots and goes to standby until I issue a WOL packet.
I think I was expecting the microapl script to check for the existance of the /boot/pending_standby file but it doesn't seem to. If there is already a /boot/pending_standby file with a postitive value, does the microapl script rewrite this?

lb_worm - I have now stopped testing timed standby until your fix is ready, after being woken up at 2am by by LS rebooting (with all the associated beeps) every two minutes :shock: . I powered the box again this evening and had to quickly rename the micro_evtd file to stop it rebooting again. The last message in /var/log/messages showed:
Feb 16 20:30:44 buffalo micro_evtd: Standby is set with 02/15 00:00 02/17 11:00
I guess a standby time in the past was causing the box to attempt standby straight away.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:11 pm 

gmv100 wrote:
The last message in /var/log/messages showed:
Feb 16 20:30:44 buffalo micro_evtd: Standby is set with 02/15 00:00 02/17 11:00
I guess a standby time in the past was causing the box to attempt standby straight away.

It has just occurred to me that this may be the correct behaviour. The only timing line I had in the micro_evtd.conf was:
SUN-SAT=ON=11:00,OFF>00:20
I was trying to achieve a regular wakeup time to run regular scripts, but to shut down after 20 minutes whenever woken. If there isn't a definite OFF=xx:yy statement then does micro_evtd add one (at midnight on Sunday)?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:30 am 
Site Admin

I have posted another testing drop. This has addressed all of these issues. As the parser had truncated the standby entry it revealed a bug in the timer code and this has now been fixed. Standby messages have changed slightly so that it shows if no OFF events are present and/or if no ON events are present.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:41 am 

The svn revision number hasn't changed for two weeks...you don't directly commit changes to svn anymore, do you?

• upcoming: ampache (+ coherence), aria2, slimrat, apache, streamripper (record what my soundbridge is playing)...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:18 pm 
Site Admin

SVN has been updated. I have branched the V3.2.5 drop. The idea was not to polute the SVN with an unstable trunk. I have a couple of other minor changes to merge but other than that its now stable.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:12 pm 

*scratches-head*

The V3.2.5 branch now contains...what? The process stuff? I'm a litte confused. :p

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:34 am 
Site Admin

Sorry to confuse. The current SVN is 70 which is now at V3.3. In the tags is a V3.2.5 frozen stable version. Does this explain?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 599 posts ]  Go to page Previous 134 35 36 37 3840 Next