Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:21 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 287 posts ]  Go to page Previous 116 17 18 19 20 Next
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:27 pm 

OK sure :) It would be great to have this working for lspro too since they dont have an web installer marked stable for another distribution yet.

Click here for more information and donations

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:52 am 
Site Admin

davygravy, you are spot on, it was again the different sata channel + the symlink

just booted to freelink on my lspro.

the first time it just did not work as i did not have the symlink for the initrd..

and no, i do not have the problem with shutdown of the box:
Code:
root@LS-GL7D6:/home/admin/nongnueabi/mediatomb# uptime
 11:51:23 up 20 min,  2 users,  load average: 0.09, 0.07, 0.01

so how do we solve that problem? is it possible to script this in the bootcmd somehow that it should try to boot to both ide channels? or is it possible to check if a hdd is present on the first channel and if not try it on the second?

or is there any way of finding out which box this is maybe? is there any hardware difference btw the v1 and the v2 hardware so that bootcmd can be set dynamically while installation within foonas-em?

that and a simple symlink from /mnt/initrd.buffalo -> boot/uImage (after installation) is enough....simply touching the file might also be ok i think?

EDIT: tried to flash back to jtymod (everything except BOOT enabled and i forgot to change the bootcmds again.....nothing is requested via tftp anymore....the network led isn`t blinking anymore.....i even disconnected the hdd. we really do not know what exactly happens when we reflash with the buffalo updater....who knows what they really do....i might need jtag know.....bad that i do not have it working on arm boxes so far...sigh...

EDIT2: maybe its now time to solder the second sata port.....probably it works if a hdd is present on the other sata channel

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:30 pm 
Site Admin

mindbender wrote:
the first time it just did not work as i did not have the symlink for the initrd..

and no, i do not have the problem with shutdown of the box:
Code:
root@LS-GL7D6:/home/admin/nongnueabi/mediatomb# uptime
 11:51:23 up 20 min,  2 users,  load average: 0.09, 0.07, 0.01

so how do we solve that problem? is it possible to script this in the bootcmd somehow that it should try to boot to both ide channels? or is it possible to check if a hdd is present on the first channel and if not try it on the second?

that and a simple symlink from /mnt/initrd.buffalo -> boot/uImage (after installation) is enough....simply touching the file might also be ok i think?

the V2's uboot checks both hdd's for an initrd... I'm not sure that it will do an auto-select of the correct one (though that'd be a splendid feature in a custom uboot!)

... and I must sit down an listen to you about what you said...
Quote:
hat and a simple symlink from /mnt/initrd.buffalo -> boot/uImage (after installation) is enough....simply touching the file might also be ok i think?
I didn't do this... not sure if I uniderstand you ... but will chat w/ you later today or tomorrow. :)

KuroPro, LS2 & KuroHG (foonas)
Working on davysweather.dyndns.org lately...

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!
Unknown command 'wooohooo!' - try 'help'

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 7:59 pm 

So step 1 in fixing the lspro freelink installer would be to touch /mnt/initrd.buffalo - I can add this in very quickly tonight.

Update: Done!

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:44 am 

OK I am presuming from the posts above I also need to ensure initrd in the u-boot env is set to point to this file - will add this tomorrow.

So the ext2load command issue, am I right in thinking reading above that you have the same version linkstations using different sata channels?

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:38 am 
Site Admin

Well, I'm thinking it is a choice between changing initrd in UBoot's env vars to /boot/uImage, vs. adding the symlink at root level, for initrd, pointing to /boot/uImage. ie. initrd.buffalo -> /boot/uImage (in the top level of the rootfs...). I haven't tried the "touch initrd" idea out to see if it will work - and I don't remember from the UBoot source code if it actually checks for a non-trivial file being there.

Changing initrd does have some odd consequences, though as it causes the def_tftp search to try to look for /boot/uImage at the on the tftp server. (Welcome to Buffalo's stock UBoot, btw, hehe. If it were a car, it would have some unexpected stuff under the bonnet. The custom (regular/serial-only UBoot and netconsole) UBoots that I made actually have a "run" command and some features over the stock one. I'm thinking the run command, a larger arg limit and a script or two might help get around some of this monkey business between the V1 & V2 using different SATA channels.)

As far as the different versions of LSPro/Live, I haven't seen anything to indicate counter to these always being correct. resp.:
V1 :
Code:
bootcmd=ide reset;ext2load ide 1:1 0x00100000 /boot/uImage;setenv bootargs console=ttyS0,115200 root=/dev/sda1 rw; bootm 0x00100000

V2 & KuroPro :
Code:
bootcmd=ide reset;ext2load ide 0:1 0x00100000 /boot/uImage;setenv bootargs console=ttyS0,115200 root=/dev/sda1 rw; bootm 0x00100000

Hopefully anyone who has seen anything that contradicts this will speak out ... after working w/ the kuropro, and the 2 lspros for the last 4 months, what is listed above seems to always be the case.

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:25 am 
Site Admin

why changing the variable initrd (which clearly has consequences as it is this file that is searched for by uboot) when a simple symlink works?

just think about it...you totally change the tftp behaviour as well. if you change initrd to a different value the box will request the initrd with a different name then. this makes it harder for normal users who want to revive their boxes via tftp as this isn`t consistent with the "revive your arm9 box from scratch" guide from the wiki.

i recommend not to change it and to create a symlink while in /mnt with "ln -s boot/uImage uImage.buffalo"

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:43 am 

OK whats the default initrd file in the stock firmware? My reason for setting this variable is to ensure it matches the file that is there, in case either buffalo changes it or a user has already changed it, in either of those cases the box would not boot :)

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:16 am 
Site Admin

ups.
i meant
Code:
ln -s boot/uImage initrd.buffalo

the stock initrd is called initrd.buffalo
the stock kernel is called uImage.buffalo

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:46 pm 
Site Admin

mindbender wrote:
why changing the variable initrd (which clearly has consequences as it is this file that is searched for by uboot) when a simple symlink works?

just think about it...you totally change the tftp behaviour as well. if you change initrd to a different value the box will request the initrd with a different name then. this makes it harder for normal users who want to revive their boxes via tftp as this isn`t consistent with the "revive your arm9 box from scratch" guide from the wiki.

i recommend not to change it and to create a symlink while in /mnt with "ln -s boot/uImage uImage.buffalo"

...exactly... :)

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:25 pm 

OK I will fix these things tonight and update this post when its done (so we need to have another different machine for lsprov1 to stop the installers breaking it seems), that just leaves the miconapl issue blocking this being marked stable hopefully!

So we actually have a hardware difference in a different sata channel being used between the v1 and v2!

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:19 pm 

http://foonas.org/index.php/Platforms:lspro-notes

Can people with lspros double check this for us?

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:09 am 

LSPro V2:

Code:
root@LS-GLF23:~# cat /proc/scsi/sg/devices
0       0       0       0       0       1       2       0       1

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:13 am 

Yep thats fine, we are interested in the first digit (host)

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 7:21 am 
Site Admin

1. I did an all-jfs installation (well, sda1 is ext2/3 since uboot needs that, but all the rest are jfs) and it works nicely... works well as a replacement for xfs on ARM-ish boxes.

davy_gravy wrote:
... I haven't tried the "touch initrd" idea out to see if it will work - and I don't remember from the UBoot source code if it actually checks for a non-trivial file being there.

well, I did now... and it seems to me that it didn't work, it seems it indeed needs something nontrivial there ... timtimred, you may have to use the symlink instead of the touch...

Code:
foonas-em$ touch initrd.buffalo   <<=================================================  touched it here
foonas-em$ ls
Netconsole_enabled UBoot-beta_4-12-08
Netconsole_enabled_UBoot-beta_4-12-08-1318.tar.gz
bin
boot
dev
etc
foonas-bootstrap-image-1.0-dev-lspro.rootfs-svn-2060.tar.gz
foonasarm-clean-n-install.sh
home
initrd.buffalo
lib
linuxrc
media
mnt
opt
proc
sbin
sys
tmp
usr
var
foonas-em$ reboot
foonas-em$ md: stopping all md devices.
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Synchronizing SCSI cache
Restarting system.
Orion1   CPU =  Low

=> ext2ls ide 0:1 /
ext2ls ide 0:1 /
Using device ide 0:1, directory: /
<DIR>       4096 .
<DIR>       4096 ..
            3237 foonasarm-clean-n-install.sh
<SYM>         17 linuxrc
<DIR>       4096 usr
<DIR>       4096 bin
<DIR>       4096 sys
<DIR>       4096 etc
<DIR>       4096 boot
<SYM>          8 tmp
<DIR>       4096 media
<DIR>       4096 dev
<DIR>       4096 sbin
<DIR>       4096 lib
<DIR>       4096 www
<DIR>       4096 mnt
<DIR>       4096 opt
<DIR>       4096 proc
<DIR>       4096 home
<DIR>       4096 var
        41355256 foonas-bootstrap-image-1.0-dev-lspro.rootfs-svn-2060.tar.gz
          239416 Netconsole_enabled_UBoot-beta_4-12-08-1318.tar.gz
<DIR>       4096 Netconsole_enabled UBoot-beta_4-12-08
               0 initrd.buffalo          <<=================================================  touched file (0 bytes)

egiga0 [PRIME]

_____ _____ _____     _____         _           _               
|   | |  _  |   __|___|     |___ ___| |_ ___ ___| |  ___ ___ ___ 
| | | |     |__   |___|   --| -_|   |  _|  _| .'| |_| . |  _| . |
|_|___|__|__|_____|   |_____|___|_|_|_| |_| |__,|_|_|___|_| |_  |
                                                            |___|

Using 88E1118 phy

Marvell Serial ATA Adapter
Integrated Sata device found
  Device 0: OK
Model: WDC WD2500JD-00HBC0                      Firm: 08.02D08 Ser#:      WD-WCAL77520516
            Type: Hard Disk
            Supports 48-bit addressing
            Capacity: 238475.1 MB = 232.8 GB (488397168 x 512)

Using device ide0, partition 1

Loading from block device ide device 0, partition 1: Name: hda1
  Type: U-Boot  File:/initrd.buffalo

0 bytes read                                   <<=====================================  uboot didn't bite the hook, it seems
Using device ide1, partition 1
** Bad partition 1 **
Lost all init_rd                                  <<=====================================  uboot didn't bite the hook, it seems

hit any key to switch tftp boot.
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  3
=>

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 287 posts ]  Go to page Previous 116 17 18 19 20 Next