Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:43 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:41 pm 
Total Newbie

This is a repost of a question in another subforum. Its now a week old and has had no responses yet.

My apologies if this isn't allowed. I checked the rules and could not find anything about it.

By the way, when searching for the rules I encountered a topic about an Example of Serious Rule Violation by someone named 'CameljockeyBoy', but do not really see what he did wrong to warrant that one-year ban. As an example it does not really do its work ...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I've recently aquired a LS-320GL as a hand-me-down -- the origional owner (a friend of mine) thought it was broken, but it was nothing TFTP and a new firmware could not fix. He did not need it back though, so I'm now stuck with it :-)

And as I'm a bit of a hobby-programmer (Strictly Microsoft DOS/Windows I'm afraid) I thought this would be a good moment to see how SMB/Samba works. I've googled for and found multiple documents on the subject, and thought to start with building a minimal client using the most basic protocol of them all: PC NETWORK PROGRAM 1.0.

Alas, although I can successfully negotiate that protocol, a subsequent tree-connect (to "\\LS-GLxxx\share") is met with the (quite uninformative and not understood by me) "access denied" status (ERRDOS, 0x0005).

Also, I get a Flags2 contents of 0x4001. And that is odd, as those flags are, as far as I can tell, only meaningfull in the NT LM 0.12 and above dialects.

So, there I am: up a creek without a paddle. :-\

The question is : Am I forgetting something/doing something wrong, and if so : what ? Does the NAS expect some other (not specified in the PC NETWORK PROGRAM 1.0 (corep) document) commands ?

If I'm not, where can I find the specs to the behaviour of the SAMBA version thats used by the NAS-es "Linux-2.6.12.6-arm1" firmware ?

Narwal

P.s.
If someone knows where I can find a Windows-compatible SMB/Samba *client* (stand-alone!) for testing purposes I would also like to know. Google returned up zilch in this respect (odd ...).

P.p.s.
"Linux-2.6.12.6-arm1" ? What flavour is it ?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:02 pm 

The violation of CameljockeyBoy was the request of a part of a firmware
which was not intended for his model but a more expensive one.
Requesting this part was a "invitation" to other users to participate in a
criminal act (stealing a software).

Unfortunately you won't get better response for you exotic request just
by putting it in a different subforum. But who knows?

Should I delete the request in the other subforum?

If there is no verified backup of a dataset, the dataset, by definition, is unimportant. (c't 2012)

RAID (no matter which level) never ever substitutes a backup. (me)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:28 pm 
Total Newbie

Quote:
The violation of CameljockeyBoy was the request of a part of a firmware which was not intended for his model but a more expensive one.
I already got that feeling, but I did not see it mentioned in that thread nor did I see a rule anywhere forbidding such question. Hence my mentioning it.

Quote:
Unfortunately you won't get better response for you exotic request just by putting it in a different subforum. But who knows?
If I would have randomly choosen the subfora I would have agreed with you. But I didn't. My first choice was the subforum specifically for the model I have, now a subforum for more generic delevopment issues.

As for an exotic request ? How so ? All I'm asking is if somebody knows about this -- contrary to the specs -- behaviour and if possible what I need to do to get it to work. Maybe someone actually has the source-code to the used Samba version in the firware and can tell me whats going on in there. And just maybe I discovered a bug ...

Quote:
Should I delete the request in the other subforum?
If you can, than yes please.
Question: Next time this happens to me, is someone I can/should ask to get such a post moved ?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:13 pm 

If you want to have a look into the source code yourself, feel free to download the
source from Buffalo.
http://opensource.buffalo.jp/

You can always contact one of the moderator crew if you have any problem regarding
a post.

If there is no verified backup of a dataset, the dataset, by definition, is unimportant. (c't 2012)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:44 pm 
Total Newbie

Quote:
If you want to have a look into the source code yourself, feel free to download the source from Buffalo. <snip URL>
Thanks, I'm downloading it now.

But if someone knows the answer/has information he wishes to share please feel free to do so anyway :-)

Quote:
You can always contact one of the moderator crew if you have any problem regarding a post.
So noted. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:55 pm 

You can also use the little button on the bottom right of each post
(the one with the exclamation mark ("!")) to report a misplacement
of the post. One of the moderators will then take action.