Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:25 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: ACP server on Debian
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:16 pm 

Hi,

I've made a few daemons for NAS drives with Debian (or something other than the stock distribution). I've found them useful so I thought I'd share:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/inputmond/files/

nas_client allows a (desktop) linux box to find and wake up NAS drives using Buffalo's ACP commands and WOL packets.

nas_server allows a non-stock NAS drive to appear in NASNavigator and be woken in the same way as the stock distributions. It also manages the power switch and function buttons with scripts - although I'm not happy with how this works as it keeps missing switches on my box - perhaps a kernel gpio tweak is needed.

When going into sleep mode, the box boots an initrd image and the kernel found at /boot/uImage.buffalo . This allows it to spin down the disks and not do very much (telnet with user 'default', password, 'password'), but it requires kexec-2.0.2 , which you will have to install yourself. Sleep mode can be made to ignore wakeup calls from certain mac addresses unless they open NASNavigator (e.g. a laptop which is on a lot, doesn't need the NAS drive but when it does, can open NAS navigator to force the drive awake). You will need a recent version of Bison to compile.

I'm pretty sure I've removed all hard-coded paths but please check if you install. If people like this, I will create deb files for easy installation. Also, if you like it or have problems, message me - I've had it running on my LS-CHL drive for a year now. Also, if anybody wants to help with the code, they're more than welcome!

Ash

ps, experimental software, use at your own risk etc

Post subject: Re: ACP server on Debian
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:12 am 

Thanks for sharing, I will give it a crack when I get some free time :)

Thanks,
Stonie.

LS-XHL - Squeeze Bootstrap
LS-VL - Squeeze Bootstrap

Post subject: Re: ACP server on Debian
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:35 pm 

Cool. I've uploaded a README to sourceforge. This should help you to edit the config files and scripts so that this all works nicely for you :D

Ash