Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:56 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:04 pm 

im hoping for a little help , im currently looking at buying a 3TB USB drive to add to my LS-XHL 2TB but dont know if its even compatible , im currently on firmware 1.60 MOD (shonks)
If it is compatible will i need to do anything special to make it work or can i just format it using Acronis disk director to XFS or do i need to do something else
Im hoping its going to be possible as im trying to put off buying a new NAS as long as possible with all the new hardware thats just coming out mainly the new intel nuc which im sure will be leading to some seriously powerful NAS drives

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:55 pm 

I don't know if there's a problem with drives as large as 3TB (I wouldn't think so), but read the chapter "System-Storage" in the manual. It recommends formatting external USB drives with the Web Admin interface. No need to use Acronis.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:20 am 

I guess im just gonna aft to just give it a try , theres nothing mentioned in the firmware updates about adding support for drives over 2TB thats why i thought id ask to see if anybody had attempted it but so long as i get the drive from somewhere like amazon i should b able to send the drive back if it isn't compatable

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:30 pm 

Thought I'd give an update incase any body else is trying to do the same .
I went ahead and bought a 3TB seagate usb 3.0 hard drive , it was comparable at first .
Windows can not setup the hard drive either you have to use Linux , I used Ubuntu 12.04.1
Then I downloaded gparted and formatted it to ext3 (it does take a while to complete) , plugged it in and it worked striaght away , My LS-XHL is on version 1.60 mod.
It did however show up as used 44.05 GB so going to play about a bit and perhaps try it with XFS instead to see if I can get back the used space.

Hope somebody finds this useful as it would have helped me

Last edited by unique904 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:24 pm 

Just used XFS and it used 1gb instead so XFS is the way to go :up:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:28 am 
Total Newbie

Hi can I just clarify then?

You have a 3TB hdd, that started off showing 44GB, now is a 1TB?

or you can do 3x 1TB partitions?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:17 am 

No it shows as 1 3tb partition but 44gb has been used even tho nothing had been transfered to it, i belive it hads something to do with compatablity when using ext3 format with drives above 2 TB.
when I changed the format to XFS tho i didnt loose any space and had the full 3Tb as 1 partition to use
I never tried splitting the drive as previously I've connected 2 drives to my linkstation via a USB hub and I couldn't get a decent transfer speed so partitioning a drive may cause issues .

If you get stuck pm me and I'll try to help you best I can , but there isn't any issues once u have it formatted in XFS and I get the same read write speeds i get with out an external drive so there's no disadvantages