Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:53 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:30 pm 

A few years ago, I bought an LS-XHL without HDD. I installed a 1TB drive and it has been running perfectly ever since (currently running on firmware 1.34).

I use it mainly for backing up several machines on the same network. But now the 1TB simply isn't enough anymore so I want to replace it with a 2TB HDD. I just bought myself a Seagate 2TB Barracuda (9YN164-300) to replace the 1TB.

Reading some of the posts here, I understand it's possible to clone the old drive to the new drive (and increase the size of the data partition afterwards). But what I couldn't find (read posts back to 2010) is what the best (and fastest) way is to clone the drive.

So, unsurprisingly, my question is: what is the best and fastest way to clone the old drive? Can I hook up both drives to my Windows machine and do a clone from there? Do I need to clone over the network (slooooow!). Or do I need to connect the new drive through USB to the LS-XHL (even slooooower!)?

Please advise.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:50 pm 

Will this work?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:05 am 

Generally? Yes.
Particularly? Maybe.
It depends, if the XHL was using the old MBR or the new GPT layout.
Unfortunately I can't remember this.
For MBR the guide should work as described.
For GPT, there is no "extended" partition but only a partition 6 you
need to resize.

If there is no verified backup of a dataset, the dataset, by definition, is unimportant. (c't 2012)

RAID (no matter which level) never ever substitutes a backup. (me)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:48 pm 

Well, it seems I've successfully cloned the drive. It wasn't easy. I mean, not that the steps involved were difficult, but it failed many times (on different stages in the process) and in the end, I have no clue what finally made it work.

I used Parted Magic to ghost the old drive to the new drive with Ghost 4 Linux (RAW Mode, Click 'n Clone). When it was done and When I started Partition Editor, I got an error that the backup GPT was corrupted but the primary GPT was OK. It then asked me if it was OK to fix it but every time it tried, it would display an empty partition list afterwards. Rebooting the computer was the only way to get Partition Editor to see the partitions again, but then it gave me the same "Backup GPT Table Corrupt" error.

After trying a few times without any luck, I started gdisk which also gave me an error message related to the GPT. I went into the advanced options until I found some GPT repair option. I started that and that got rid of the GPT error. But when I tried to resize the partition in Partition Editor, it wouldn't let me. I could move the partition around in the empty space, but I couldn't resize it.

I then downloaded the latest version of Parted Magic. Now I was able to resize the partition but when I clicked "Apply" I got an I/O error during the "gpt_repair -v" step.

I the decided to start over again. I ghosted the old drive to the new drive again. After that I tried to resize the partition again but got yet another error (can't remember what exactly, but I think it had something to do with the GPT not being at the end of the partition). I let it fix that but then I got yet another error (seriously no idea anymore what that error was) I started gdisk and it told me I needed to mount the partition, then unmount it again. Which I did. After that I was finally successful resizing the partition.

So in short, I have no clue whatsoever what caused all these problem - or what solved it for that matter. But it seems to have finally worked.