Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:25 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Help installing new disk
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:06 am 
Total Newbie

hi all
I have a LS-XH1.5TL with no disk. I am trying to install a Hitachi deskstar 500Gb, but I can't get the Linkstation firmware installed. (The disk is formatted as ext3 on a linux machine, just one partition)
I have it connected to my laptop, the network adapter is set to 192.168.11.1
I have tftp boot 1.41, it starts, I hold down the function button, and get the ..$kernel, 5337 Blocks Served and .......$initrd, 21348 Blocks served messages, and the light blinks blue.
This is where the problems start. I have tried firmware 1.24 and the latest 1.56, with varying success - sometimes it starts with the 6 red led flashes, sometimes it just continually flashes blue and eventually changes to amber with error 25.
Also sometimes during update, the linkststion decides to go look for a new ip address and because it can't find a dhcp server, changes to a 169.x.x.x address,and the update fails. I tried to set the ip through NAS navigator, but it also fails and reverts back to dhcp. As a kind of kludgy workaround, I set up a dhcp server on that network adapter to give a 192.168.11.x address.
Could someone kindly tell me exact procedure to get it up and running, and also links where necessary? This is driving me nuts
Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:39 am 

Amber (orange) 25 would have meant "firmware update" and is NOT
an error.
If you interrupted the box during that, you need to recover again.
There are (at least it feels that much) hundreds of questions and
answers in this forum regarding replacing the disk of a Linkstation.
How about using the search function?

If there is no verified backup of a dataset, the dataset, by definition, is unimportant. (c't 2012)

RAID (no matter which level) never ever substitutes a backup. (me)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:57 am 
Total Newbie

I'm well aware of the function of searches, and none of the results i have trowled through, from here, the buffalo site, or google in general quite work.
I have made my own tftp recovery by extracting the appropriate files from the 1.56 firmware update, getting into em mode using that, doing the firmware update (and also by setting the debug mode on and setting NoFormatting=0 to force it to reformat), and now, after reboot, it just blinks blue..and doesn't stop, so I'm pretty much out of ideas.
The only thing left I can think of, is that it simply does not like that particular disk.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:33 pm 

The "usual" recommendation (one can find multiple times in this forum) is,
to remove all partitions and to start with the TFTP package 1.53, which
you can find via a link in this forum. Don't forget to set the repartitioning
checkbox in the debug menu.
If the partitioning fails the first time, repeat the TFTP procedure WITHOUT
repartitioning (the failure after repartitioning happens after the successful
partitioning). Firmware update should be successful then.

If there is no verified backup of a dataset, the dataset, by definition, is unimportant. (c't 2012)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:04 am 
Total Newbie

Unfortunately, still no go.
I removed the disk, put it in a Linux box and used fdisk to remove all partitions, put it back in, started TFTP 1.53, it uploaded the two files, ran the 1.56 Firmware update, it warned me about formatting the disc etc, went through all the motions, formatted the disk, did the transfer, got to the end, rebooted, and I'm still getting 6 red flashes.
The drive is only a 500Gb - would that make a difference, since the original disk was 1Tb? (I think) I do have an external 1Tb USB drive, so on the weekend I will back up the contents to the 500Gb and try to install the 1Tb and see if that makes a difference.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:58 pm 

Did you do the TFTP a second time WITHOUT repartitioning?