Please be gentle, first time poster but I thought I’d post my results.
My Buffalo 2Tb LS-XHL NAS box started to flash red, on checking the hard drive was failing
so I purchased a 3Tb WD Green and installed it.
On installation I got the 6 red flashes, I managed to get buffalo to send me the latest TFTP software (1.56) and followed the instructions sent and found a useful trick that might help if you are struggling.
I broke the switch as well during my removing and installing of the new hard drive so had to use a bit of wire. Procedure I followed below.
1. setup PC IPv4 address to 192.168.11.1 connect PC/Laptop via straight Ethernet cable (I thought it should be cross over)
2. wait for nas drive to boot - get 6 flashes of red continuously
2. start TFTP program
3. short the switch - nas box starts to rapid flash blue
4. TFPT program kicks in and transfers two blocks
5. use the nas navigator to find your nas box, it should be in EM mode
6. change your ip address to the next address in the range as shown in the nas navigator software (something like 169.254.85.9, gateway was 255.255.0.0, No further settings)
7.Start the LSupdater (I got version 1.56 from Buffalo)
8.Start the flash and it will fail….
Edit the LSUpdater.ini file in the firmware folder that says
VersionCheck = 1
NoFormatting = 1
VersionCheck = 1
NoFormatting = 0
Save the file and start LSUpdater again, click the update button and it will force the firmware flash and format the drive, my 3Tb took about 5 minutes then got stuck waiting for reboot.
9. After the reboot, forced by the firmware update the NAS box came up back to 6 red flashes, So I reset my IPv4 address to 192.168.11.1 and ran the TFTP software again, it loaded the two blocks and the box started to flash orange (I25).
10. leave the box alone until the orange flashing changes to blue, I think it took about 20 minutes on mine.
Login to the interface and change to English.
That was it, I then could get back to a blank NAS box that showed 3Tb of free space
Everything here has already been done so nothing new, the only difference I can see is the editing of the ini file to force a format of the disk which worked for me.