Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:09 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:00 pm 
Total Newbie

Hello!

I've bought a used LS-XHL which has no harddisk. But I've got 2 hdds which I want to install in the NAS. Unfortunately updating the firmware with LSUpdater does not succeed. I searched many hours in this forum and others but didn't find an answer yet.

The 2 hdds Samsung HD154UI and WD6400-AAKS do not have any partition and are not formatted. When I install a harddisk and start the NAS the red LED flashes 6 times (E06). That means the hdd is recognized but the firmware is corrupted. Then I set on my computer (Win7 / XP) the IP 192.168.11.1 and connect the NAS directly or over a switch with my PC. The firewall is completely off. After starting "TFTP Boot Recovery 1.24 All 4 Models" it waits for reception. Now I press the function button and the LED starts flashing faster in blue color. After 5s TFTP starts downloading the two images:

I close TFTP and start LSUpdater 1.34, downloaded directly from http://www.buffalotech.com/support/downloads/. After 10s the LS-XHL is found and the blue LED glows continuously.

When I connect the NAS directly to the PC the IP is 169.254.25.50 instead of 192.168.139.103 but everything else is the same. In the debug-window I tried nearly all possibilities, also rebuild partition table:

Finally I click Update, but it says "Could not confirm whether the parition exists. Cannot update the firmware. Firmware updating is aborted":

That's the point where I do not know how to continue. Why does it want to confirm that a partition exists? I thought it should be a hdd without partition and formatting! Or should it have a ext3 format?
I have exactly the same error message in Windows 7 and XP and with both hdds. But both hdds are working fine in Windows and do not seem to have any problem. The Samsung is brand new.

Would someone provide his LS-XHL image without personal data, only with the partitions needed for booting? I think that would be a solution.

I tested FW1.31 mod by Shonk and other versions which can be found on buffalo.nas-central.org but it's always the same (LSUpdater.exe seems to be almost the same). But I do not think that the internal flash or the ARM9 has a problem because TFTP works fine and LSUpdater and NasNavi find the NAS.

Does someone has an idea? I'd be glad to find a solution :D

Thank you,
Daniel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:08 pm 
Total Newbie

Hi,

I had the same problem but was able to get around it by installing the 1.10 version of the LS-XHL firmware.

So, while the LS-XHL is in EM mode, start the 1.10 install. The update will recognize a new install and confirm a format of the hard disk. Once V1.10 was installed, I was then able to upgrade to the newer firmware versions (1.34).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:10 pm 
Total Newbie

Hi,

I downloaded 1.10 from http://www.buffalo-technology.com/support/getfile/?lsxhl-110.zip. When I click Update I fortunately do NOT get the message "Could not confirm whether the partition exists". But I can't see a progress. All buttons except the Quit-button are disabled and it seems that it's doing something.

How much time should it take after pressing Update? Should I see a progress bar? Now 30min are gone and I can't see or hear any progress.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:34 pm 
Total Newbie

Hi
I have the same problem. I was wondering where you got your TFTP servers? I cant find them on buffalo. Does anyone have a link?
Thankyou

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:16 pm 
Total Newbie

Hey,

you're right, the ftp server seems to be down:
http://forums.buffalotech.com/t5/Solved-Storage-Threads/TFTP-boot-recovery-download/td-p/11239

But here is a german site where you can download different tftp versions:
http://www.discountnetz.com/downloadbereich/category/8-tftp-boot-recovery

4h after pressing "Update" I still cannot see any progress. All buttons (except quit) are disabled. Even when I disconnect the LS-XHL, LSUpdater does not prompt an error.

What should happen after pressing "Update"?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:11 pm 
Total Newbie

Hi
Thanks for the link it worked, however im getting a message saying
"couldn't confirm a responce from LS-Xhl
check Ip of comp and nas match
disable firewalls"
Iv changed my IP and disabled all firewalls and virus scanners?

P.S. Im obviuously not an expert with this but I have heard using the rebuild partitions on the debug section can help with broken partitions on the drive? It might help with your situation.

Thankyou

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:29 am 
Total Newbie

Hi,

The other thing I had to do before attempting the 1.10 firmware install was to delete all partitions on the hard drive.

It seems that this particular LinkStation model uses GPT (GUID Partition Table) to layout the partitions on the hard disk. If the disk drive was previously used in this machine, it may have already been formatted using GPT. If this is the case, the 1.10 will have trouble seeing what's on the disk. I used a SATA-USB converter to attach the disk drive to my Windows PC and then used a disk partitioning tool to delete the GPT partition. Once I did that, the 1.10 update worked immediately.

By the way, once you click the UPDATE button, you should see a progress screen showing bytes of data being sent to the machine followed by writing of the firmware. The whole install took probably about 10 minutes or less. And yes, disable the Windows firewall option.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:15 am 
Total Newbie

Hey,

I managed to install the firmware on my LS-XHL! I can't excatly explain how I did it, but I loaded other firmwares e.g. TFTP_LS_CHL-1.06 or TFTP_LS-WXL-1.24 and started LSUpdater of lschl-110 (I know these versions are not convenient to LS-XHL) and then I suddenly got the key-message: "Couldn't confirm that a partition exists on the TARGET. Updater will format the TARGET and will update the TARGET.*** All of data will be lost ***"

That was the first step to success. After this I loaded the normal "TFTP Boot Recovery 1.24 All 4 Models" and Firmware 1.31 by Shonk (1.34 unfortunately finished with a red blinking LED) and IT WORKS!! For me that was a "let's try all combinations of possible firmware / tftp versions and see what happens".

Maybe it was a problem with GPT, I can't check it now anymore. But as I tested several hdds I finally wanted to unformat the not used hdds and saw it's all formatted in GPT. I thought support for GPT is not supported until 1.34. But originally the hdds had the normal MBR partition table when I started to install the linkstation.

Thank you for support!