Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:07 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:27 am 

Hello,

after research and reading many tutorials / problems, i decided to ask here for help.

I had the luck to get an old Buffalo Terastation ES (TS-XEL/R5 series +++ TS-XE4.0TL/R5-EU) without HDDs.

The reanimation was very hard, because tftp and ts-update wont work with any of my HDDs (Seagate Desktop HDDs 500GB, 1000GB, Western Digital Enterprise 500GB, 1000GB etc.). With every disk there where format errors, in TSUpdate and later in the Webinterface.

Got it to run only via an old harddisk from an Linkstation Quad with FW 1.11. After Updating with no :!: formating it works partially, the FW 1.71 is running with full webinterface.

The problem with the "unformatable" drives persits, even from the webinterface.

So i decided to give it a try with debian or gentoo, maybe the buffalo firmware restricts the selection of hdds?

But which guide is the right one to install? The guides from LS-CHLv2 maybe? Are there installations with working fan-control and hw-buttons? I would like to use the NAS only as SMB storage and DLNA server (free with plex?). Finally there should be 2, later 4 hdd's in 2x raid 1. Is it possible to get debian/gentoo install to the flash or to all discs equal if one drive fails? Thought to manage it with webmin to keep an eye on the raid's etc.

Little knowledge of linux servers and mdadm is still there :D Sorry for my bad english :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:17 am 

Buffalo is not able to switch from GPT to MBR.
Which setting is used from your running harddisk?

delete all partitons!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:59 am 

I tried the following:

- delete all partitions
- delete all partitions and diskpart -> clean
- delete all partitions and diskpart -> clean -> intitialize with mbr
- delete all partitions and diskpart -> clean -> intitialize with gpt
- delete all partitions and diskpart -> clean -> intitialize with gpt -> make 1 partition

- windlg -> zero the hdd's

Sometimes there was a partition layout like this of buffalo, but every time with error at formating und non functional operating system.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:04 pm 

Btw thanks for the reply oxygen8!

The working one is actually running in the box and formats with zero and filling for testing. i cant stop this process.

But another old 250er buffalo disk with the same layout has MBR layout! This disks are from my old LS-QL/R5.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:25 pm 

With new disks you have to modify the TSUpdater.ini

NoFormatting = 0

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:56 am 

Done this already. With formatting it stucks every time in TSUpdate.

Debug mode won't work either.

Got it to run with an harddisk from an older buffalo with mbr layout and only without formatting. This little disk work's, but now I have the problem that I can't format any of the drives from the web interface.

I think it's a firmware limitation of brands etc? If it's so, than I would try debian or so with the questions from the first post.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:32 pm 

Last try is running. I'm dd'ing the content of the working 250GB harddisk to one 1TB harddisk and try to resize.

Formatting from the web interface doesnt work in any kind. Last try was to remove the raid superblocks on the new disks (where did they came from?) and format with gpt ans one big ext4 partition. The message was the same as every time in german "Festplattenvorgang fehlerhaft. Versuchen Sie es nach einem Neustart", in result i should reboot and try again.

Hope for the dd'ed harddisk to work. :(