Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:37 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Is a Cloudstor repurposable as an Intrusion Detection System (IDS)
Yea! Go for it! 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Maybe, if you're a linux expert with a lot of time on your hands 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Maybe, it could be feasible but it might be limited in function 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No way, it's too old/slow/locked down 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes: 0
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:28 pm 
Total Newbie

Hi, I have an old Cloudstor CS-2.0/1D that is sitting around. It served it's use in the day, but the pogoplug software and some of the old bugginess of the device pushed me to a higher power NAS for primary use.

My primary NAS is used by myself, wife and family. It supports multiple laptops (Primarily Apples with a Win system thrown in), ipads, iPhones, Apple TVs, a Roku, some Cable STBs, and home automation equipment (2Gig). The setup allows any of the main devices to mount a share within the LAN network, use VPN, and some devices can access a share remotely over the internet. I'm not exposing anything to the internet that resembles a server but am using some CMS/wiki and sql based tools for pet projects behind the LAN.

I am very security conscious and try and lock this down tight. Some of the home automation devices strike me as potentially gaping holes in the network. I've done what I can to make them invisible/firewalled/secured but want to add an additional layer of security.

I would like to repurpose the Cloudstor as an IDS using Snort. Maybe a SecurityOnion install (Ubuntu) to play around with a few of the other IDS or IDS like packages out there.

Is it feasible to flash and reclaim a Cloudstor? Any opinions on whether it could serve as an IDS with acceptable performance if it was dedicated?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:33 am 
Total Newbie

It is very interesting too. It provides the knowledge that soon were very modern.