Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:09 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:28 am 
Total Newbie

Hi,

My Linkstation Live v2 stopped working after having connected it to a Mac (probably no relation); I'm using direct connection through Ethernet and my PC fails to recognize the network. The network card is checked and updated.
I'm running Windows 7.
Recently, while troubleshooting the harddrive, the LED switched to first I11, and now to E6. I thought I'd reset it through the use of the Function button, but I'm not sure if it's stuck or if I'm just stupid (can't press it - the button on the front, that is).

When running aps -a I can't find any IP associated with the MAC, but I see my PC is running on a 169.254.x.x address - which is the same as the default of the LS.

Oh: Since it can't identify the network, it's using it as a public network. I activated network identification etc for public network plus deactivated Windows Firewall.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:22 pm 

What is the model number of your LinkStation? Is it LS-XL or LS-CHL?

The LS-XL doesn't have any buttons. The only way to perform a factory reset is through the Web Admin interface.

Your PC (?) has a 169.254.xxx.xxx address suggesting that it is not connected to your router. Why not? Plug the PC and the LinkStation into your router and power cycle both devices. Re-run the LinkNavigator CD.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:42 pm 
Total Newbie

ColinTaylor wrote:
What is the model number of your LinkStation? Is it LS-XL or LS-CHL?

The LS-XL doesn't have any buttons. The only way to perform a factory reset is through the Web Admin interface.

Your PC (?) has a 169.254.xxx.xxx address suggesting that it is not connected to your router. Why not? Plug the PC and the LinkStation into your router and power cycle both devices. Re-run the LinkNavigator CD.

v2, so LS-CHL.

Bc I'm not running the Linkstation through any router atm. And I don't have a CD-reader.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:26 pm 

Can you not borrow a router? Some devices don't like being directly connected unless you use a cross-over cable.

Make sure the power switch is in the ON position and not AUTO.

When you turn on the power is the LED still giving you an error code?

Download the LinkNavigator software from the Buffalo website if you don't have a CD drive and run it from your hard drive.

Windows 7: Network should be Home not Public.

UPDATE: Here's some more info which might help: http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Rec ... inkstation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:01 am 
Total Newbie

ColinTaylor wrote:
Can you not borrow a router? Some devices don't like being directly connected unless you use a cross-over cable.

Make sure the power switch is in the ON position and not AUTO.

When you turn on the power is the LED still giving you an error code?

Download the LinkNavigator software from the Buffalo website if you don't have a CD drive and run it from your hard drive.

Windows 7: Network should be Home not Public.

UPDATE: Here's some more info which might help: http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Rec ... inkstation

I'll try it out w my router in a few days, but it shouldn't matter; the issues with straight and crossed TP cables were removed years ago.

It can't give error codes with the power off. And it's on, yes.

I've already downloaded and ran NAS Nav2, if that's what you mean. It doesn't do anything different.

Network can be any of the profiles, since I've changed the settings for the public one. And the reason as to why I'm not using a home network is written in the first post.

I'll check out the link, though. Thanks!