Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:26 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:38 pm 
Total Newbie

Hi,

My appreciation to those brave and talented individuals who have made/tested/verified guidelines in this thread.
I've successfully installed Twonky Special 7.09 (trial) in my LS-WVL, that is mainly to try whether
I can overcome this random media disconnection error while streaming videos to my Samsung Series 7 TV.
And this started after installing Shonk's FW 1.60.

May I kindly ask anyone if you had encountered random media disconnection error before?
May you share what had been your solution?

Secondly, I'm unable to determine actually whether Twonky 7.09 can fix media disconnection error
because Twonky (trial-30 days so the forum says) would not start as it says it is already expired.
Again, would anyone share their solution to this expiration issue right after installing Twonky?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:30 pm 

rdvb wrote:
I've successfully installed Twonky Special 7.09 (trial) in my LS-WVL, that is mainly to try whether I can overcome this random media disconnection error while streaming videos to my Samsung Series 7 TV.
And this started after installing Shonk's FW 1.60.
There are quite a few posts in the fourm about Samsung TVs but they all seem to relate to MKVs.

Quote:
Secondly, I'm unable to determine actually whether Twonky 7.09 can fix media disconnection error because Twonky (trial-30 days so the forum says) would not start as it says it is already expired.
Again, would anyone share their solution to this expiration issue right after installing Twonky?

As far as I can work out the so-called 30 day trial starts from the day they (PacketVideo) compiled the program. So unless you install it within 30 days of it being released it's already expired.

You could try turning off ntp and setting the date on your NAS to sometime in the past. That might work enough to test it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:18 am 

I'm a bit confused - I installed 7.09 on my LSL. Will it stop working in 30 days unless I have some kind of licence key?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:58 am 

dwl99 wrote:
I'm a bit confused - I installed 7.09 on my LSL. Will it stop working in 30 days unless I have some kind of licence key?

In which case I'm confused as well.

Point a web browser at your twonky server ( http://<ip-address>:9050 ) and tell us what it says under:

Settings > Status > Twonky Version

Is there a section on that page that says "License Key" ?

If not, do you have a "Registration Key" entry under:

Settings > Status > Detailed Status

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:03 pm 

ColinTaylor wrote:
dwl99 wrote:

In which case I'm confused as well.

Point a web browser at your twonky server ( http://<ip-address>:9050 ) and tell us what it says under:

Settings > Status > Twonky Version

Is there a section on that page that says "License Key" ?

If not, do you have a "Registration Key" entry under:

Settings > Status > Detailed Status

Version: Twonky 7.0.9 Special
License Key
Please enter a license key to activate this software. If a license was not provided, you can obtain one by visiting http://www.twonky.com.
Trial Version

So I'm guessing that it will stop working at some point. Was the media server that came with the stock OS not just an earlier version of Twonky?

Their website says:
While TwonkyServer 7.0, also known as Twonky 7.0 Special, is the final major update available for purchase, TwonkyServer will continue to be available through myTwonky as Twonky 7.0. Twonky 7.0 Special is a licensed version of Twonky 7.0 that will always be available to your network as long as your computer is turned on and Twonky 7.0 Special is running. Twonky 7.0 Special is totally compatible with myTwonky and your Twonky account. Twonky 7.0 Special is available as a free update to anyone who purchased a TwonkyManager 2.0 or TwonkyServer 6.0 license key. New users interested in Twonky 7.0 Special will still be able to purchase for a limited time. It will be supported through February 28, 2013.

I can't say I'm any the wiser!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:37 pm 

Clear as mud.

I read posts on the twonky forum asking for clarification as well.

The key phrase is "Twonky 7.0 Special is available as a free update to anyone who purchased a TwonkyManager 2.0 or TwonkyServer 6.0 license key."

You don't have a license key for Twonky because you never purchased one. The version of Twonky that ships with the Buffalo is an OEM version that doesn't have a license key. It cannot be upgraded unless Buffalo renegotiates their deal with PacketVideo in which case they'll update it in a future firmware release.

However,

Here (http://twonky.com/buy_current.aspx) it says "Free updates are available here for the following users: TwonkyMedia server version 5.x and TwonkyServer 6.x → Twonky 7.0 Special"

And here (http://twonky.com/legacy_license.aspx) you can buy a v5 license key for very little money that, as far as I can tell, will work with version 7. (But I've not tried it myself)

PS As your trial period is still active then my theory about when the trial period starts being hard-coded must be wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:59 pm 
Total Newbie

Hi Collin,

Thanks for responding to me.

As per your suggestion, I tried disabling ntp on my LS-WVL, but Twonky 7.09 still detected as expired.

However, I think I found the fix on my random media disconnection issue when streaming
MKV files to my Samsung TV.

After reverting to stock Twonky on FW 1.60, and disabling all media feeds from the webui,
two MKV movies now, and no disconnection so far.

rdvb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:34 pm 

Kind of offtopic but, would it be possible for twonky to use somehow additional resources for transcoding?

I mean would be so that there would be some plugin or client server software in more cpu power having desktop, server or laptop and twonky would use the cpu of that if available. Or even even several. And work normally transcoding itself if it cant find that. Thats kind of only that is missing and for some big mkv:s have to use PS3 Mediaserver on hevier cpu machine.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:52 pm 

That's an interesting idea but I'm not aware of such a thing existing.

Twonky does have an Aggregation Mode but it means running a media server on another computer which kind of defeats the purpose of having Twonky on the NAS in the first place.

Quote:
When Aggregation is enabled, TwonkyServer collects information from any other device running TwonkyServer or Windows Media Player and presents all available media from your network in one comprehensive view. With this feature, you will not need to switch between different servers when searching for a particular media item. TwonkyServer will automatically hide duplicates.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:53 pm 
Total Newbie

Hello all,

Complete newbie here - just registered when I found this thread which I think is the answer I've been looking for... I have a Samsung SmartTV TV which will find, but not play, mp4 files on my Linkstation (LS-CHL.0TL-V2). Reading around, I gather this is because the firmware uses an old version of Twonky that can't render mp4 files. Most of my videos are mp4 format, including hundreds of videos for the kids.

Before I get excited, and try to edit files on my Linkstation, which makes me a bit nervous (like I say - newbie!) am I right in understanding that the method in this thread for updating the Twonky installation should mean I will be able to play mp4 files on my Samsung TV?

Thanks in advance,

Nick

PS Should add that currently installed version of Twonky on the Linkstation is Version 4.4.19_e2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:15 am 

Hi Nick,

I would recommend that in the first instance you update your firmware to the latest version, 1.60 (assuming that it is available for your hardware).

That should give you Twonky 6 which may be all you need to solve your problem.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:17 pm 
Total Newbie

Hi Colin

Thanks for the reply - I have firmware version 1.57, and when I try to update it says it's the latest version. So I guess I'll have to give this a go!

Cheers,

Nick

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:40 pm 

Hi Hick,

Try updating your firmware via your PC rather than from the NAS. According to this (http://www.buffalo-technology.com/en/download.html) you should be able to get 1.60.

Or you could try Shonk's 1.60 Mod 1 (viewtopic.php?f=68&t=23603) which not only unlocks root access but enables transcoding in Twonky.

I don't want to put you off trying Twonky 7.0.9 but be aware that you will need to purchase a license key to use it beyond the trial period.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:31 pm 
Total Newbie

Hi Colin

Finally got round to testing this - didn't realise it could be updated by PC but all done, and Twonky updated too. It looks to have done the trick! A couple of files didn't play but they were the same format and exact transcode profile as others that did, and vast majority playing fine.

Thanks so much for your help, hugely appreciated.

Nick

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:22 pm 

Just to confirm that this version stops working after 30 days. Bah.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next