Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:01 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:21 am 

Hi! I'm sure this has already been addressed, but I'm new to this forum and I haven't had any luck finding it (hopefully, I'm in the right subforum). Anyway, my LS-CH1.0TL (the interface has a red theme, which makes me think it's a V2 version) had a hard drive failure. So, I bought a new hard drive, formatted it as an XFS and put it back into the case.

I'm able to see it using TFTP, but NASNavigator and LS Updater can't see it. I think I need to repartition the drive to have some ext partitions and some xfs partitions, and then manually load the firmware or something to that effect. I'm OK (but not expert) in linux.

Anyway, if this has already been addressed, I'm happy to take a look at the appropriate threads -- just show me the way, and I would be very grateful. If I'm in the wrong forum, just let me know the right place.

Thanks in advance!

RS

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:05 am 

If TFTP is working, you should remove the disk again
and delete all partitions. The disk should be plain blank
when you reassemble your box.
Start the LSUpdater in Debug mode and check all boxes.
Be sure that you have the matching firmware for your
box.
You will need some special flags in your LSUpdater.ini
to get into Debug mode.
Code:
[SpecialFlags]
Debug=1

When started LSUpdater.exe, click left on the two golden
rings on the upper left.
Choose the menuitem "Debug(D)...".
Check all boxes in both frames on the upper part of the
dialog.
Click OK, and then Update to write the firmware. Confirm
all messages coming now regarding partitioning, formatting
etc..

If there is no verified backup of a dataset, the dataset, by definition, is unimportant. (c't 2012)

RAID (no matter which level) never ever substitutes a backup. (me)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:44 am 

TFTP is working but LSUpdater can't see the disk. Just to be sure, when I'm doing this, I'm doing the following:

1. The Linkstation is directly connected to my computer through the ethernet cable (not a crossover cable).
2. The computer network card is set to a fixed IP address, 192.168.11.1

Is that correct? What happens is the Linkstation tries to boot up. After a couple of minutes, I get the 6 red lights error. Then, I press the Function button, and that causes TFTP to see it and send the two things that it sends. The blue light starts flashing and never stops (or, doesn't stop after 1/2 hour or so).

Neither LSUpdater nor NASNavigator can see the box while this is going on. I tried monitoring the network messages -- it looks like LSUpdater and NASNavigator are sending messages to a certain port (can't recall at the moment), but nothing is responding.

My most recent attempts involved partitioning the disk as close as I can get it to the original setup, and then copying what I can from the old disk partitions to the new disk. Unfortunately, because my old disk is failing, I couldn't copy everything over. Do you think if I delete all the partitions on the new disk and try again that the LSUpdater will be able to see it? My other idea is to find a disk image someplace that has the factory setup on it and write that image to the disk -- do you know if such an image is available?

Thanks again for your help!

RS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:13 am 

If the two files were read from the client (the LS), the
output window of the TFTP server should show the IP
address of the client.
If Buffalo hasn't changed anything, this should be the
Use the displayed IP address to ping the box in another
commandline window. You should get a response.
Stop the TFTP server and start the LS Updater.
Click on the golden rings like I described before and specify
the diplayed IP address in the bottom part of the dialog
in addition to that what I already posted before (check all
the checkboxes etc.).
It should work then (if you used the correct firmware for
TFTP of course).

If there is no verified backup of a dataset, the dataset, by definition, is unimportant. (c't 2012)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:18 pm 

Yes, it's still 192.168.11.150, but when I tried pinging that, I got no response. I tried putting in the IP address in the LSUpdater dialog box, but no luck there either.

I'll check the TFTP firmware again tonight when I'm back home. After that, I'm going to try some of the other things I've found on this forum about rebuilding an ARM box from scratch.

Thanks again for your continued help. I'll report back with any progress or lack of it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:55 pm 

Hi There,

Same model here :)

The symptom you are highliting are related to one thing only, you cannot format the HDD.

Second, Use your rooter, after TFTP the linkstation will get an IP from DHCP in your network and your lsupdater should find it. And is easy to find the address in the router lan page.

Please do this:

1 - Boot by TFTP
when you see it in the updater you need to use kenatonline flag and select only the option make new filesystem (this will format the new HDD)

2 - Boot it again by TFTP, and install the Firmware, it will work this second time.

Note, the behaviour of the light in the LS after TFTP boot should be a still blue after a couple of minutes. Only after the still blue light you will be able to use LS updater.

Please come back here if you need any more help.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:41 am 

The sequence that I have is:

1. Set my PC's IP address to 192.168.11.1, connect NAS directly to PC through the ethernet cable. Launch TFTP on the PC.
2. Power up device (either holding function key or not)
3. Device tries to boot (blinking blue light), then fails (red light blinks 6 times)
4. Press and hold function key. This causes the blinking blue light again. Also causes TFTP to serve the two files. The blue light never stops blinking.

At this point, no matter what I try, I can't get the LSUpdater to see the unit. I've tried keeping it plugged in as is and searching for it, filling in the unit's IP address or the computer's IP address into the debug page, unplugging the unit and plugging it back into the router (while resetting my PC's IP address to get one dynamically).

No luck so far.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:34 pm 

I guess I'm not sure what my next step should be. If I can't figure out how to get this running again, I suppose I'll return the new HDD that I bought and either buy a new LinkStation or some other NAS (with a print server -- any suggestions?).

I plan on completely reformatting the new HDD again. Then, I'll try the TFTP/LSUpdate again with the totally blank drive and see if that gets me anywhere (how should I format the drive? Ext3? xfs?). Assuming that fails, I guess I'll try creating the partitions again to look like my old, failing drive. After that, I'm really out of ideas.

How can I be sure that I really have the V2? Anyway to check for that?

This shouldn't be this hard. Thanks again for all your help. Any suggestions will be really appreciated.

RS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:33 am 

First: you never wrote, where you got the TFTP files from
and which firmware version they contain.
Second: you should NOT format the drive at all. You even
shouldn't create partitions. Or you create the right partition
table and format the partitions with the right filesystem.
Anything inbetween forces problems.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:21 am 

Quote:
How can I be sure that I really have the V2? Anyway to check for that?

Look at your network name. LS-CHLV2...

The Webinterface

V2:

V1:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:36 pm 

OK, my interface did NOT look like that. It was a red and white theme, and much more basic. I'd post a sample, but as my drive is not working now...

Also, I'll track down the exact version of TFTP that I have and post it later today when I'm home. Regarding formatting the drive, is there some way to deformat a drive? It's already formatted and partitioned in some fashion (in fact, it was probably FAT 32 when I got it, right?).

Could this be as simple as getting the right TFTP and somehow clearing the formatting on the drive?

RS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:43 pm 

Re-reading oxygen8's post, I think only one image made it through. To be clear, my interface was not like the blue-and-yellow themed interface posted. It looks like you meant to post a V2 image but it doesn't seem to show up.

Here's what mine looked like (although I can't vouch for the version numbers -- this is a screenshot I picked up on this forum):

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:49 pm 

red Webif -> LS-CHL V2
Use TFTP: http://www.mediafire.com/?a2l0gsodbf43i5j
Use FW 1.31 from Shonk: http://www.mediafire.com/file/25zmjmf50mh/ls_series-131-mod1.rar

(read http://forum.discountnetz.com/buffalo-linkstation-pro-live-mit-bittorrent/ls-chl-fehler-e06-t518.html?hilit=tftp%20shonk)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:47 am 

Some progress -- I used the versions in the link you gave me. After TFTP, the blue light finally went solid. So, I tried installing the firmware, but I may have used the other version that I already had -- it said it installed correctly, then the light went purple. This is progress, because the LSUpdater hasn't seen the unit since it crashed.

So, I booted up into linux and erased all the files, tried TFTP again, but now the light goes right to purple after TFTP.

I think I should try reformatting the disk -- any suggestions on how to do that? (Which format, any partitions?) What does a solid purple light mean anyway?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:10 am 

Delete all Partitions with Windows.

Set "Rebuild Partition Table"