Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:34 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:21 am 

My TeraStation (1Tb/4 drives, RAID array) died. Only the fan works, it won't even power on. This occurred shortly after a firmware upgrade...not sure if the two are related. MEANWHILE, I have all this data on the drives. I'd like to replace teh box itself, which I am told is out of production. So here I am, looking for a used box. Or suggestions on other ways to proceed. Will the drives be readable on other machines, or is the proprietary Buffalo software necessary? I am more of an apps and strategy guy than a tech (although various tech friends tell me I am indeed a geek), so please answer with simplicity, or at least clarity. Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:10 am 

First, try to get a different Power supply. Maybe just the power supply died.
If the box still fails, you can attach the disks to another PC (all at once!)
and use the regular mdadm stuff to access the array (you DO can remember
which kind of RAID you were running, don't you?).
The exact sequence of disks IS important, so mark the disks with 1,2,3... BEFORE
removing them from the box.
You will need this sequence when configuring the mdadm stuff.
Take a Linux-Live-CD which contains mdadm support and do the configuration.
Do NOT rebuild a RAID, just attach the disks to a RAID configuration.
It is possible to recover the data and it is "not" proprietary Buffalo software
but the standard Linux mdadm software RAID stuff.

If there is no verified backup of a dataset, the dataset, by definition, is unimportant. (c't 2012)

RAID (no matter which level) never ever substitutes a backup. (me)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:29 am 

Hi, Kenatonline, thanks for the prompt reply.

Where would I acquire a power supply? If this is indeed the solution, it seems simple and something that could enable fast remedy to the problem. I sure hope this is it, and would like to try it ....but I have no clue as to where to find a power supply for the unit (suggestions? links?), nor how I'd remove the old one and install the new or used replacement. Are instructions available?

Offhand I do not recall the RAID specifics, but I could get my hands on that info easily enough.

And knowing that I could restore the data by putting all the disks (*marked* and in order, excellent pointer, thanks!) on a different machine...makes me much less upset over this incident.

Again thanks, and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Happy Holidays!

--deanland

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:25 am 

Sorry, but I have no clue where to get a replacement power supply.
Because I have some soldering knowledge, I would have bought a
connector like the one used on the TS power supply board to "adapt"
a simple PC power supply to deliver the source without the need to
configure this custom made cable used by Buffalo (according to the
pictures in our Wiki).
But your milage may vary.
If you are not the "soldering type of guy", you maybe get in touch
with Buffalos support and ask for replacement instructions?
Or you take the power supply to a local repair store. It seems to be
a simple power supply and no fancy stuff. Shouldn't be too hard to
repair.
Instructions to open a TS can be found in our Wiki.
http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Terastationwiki

If there is no verified backup of a dataset, the dataset, by definition, is unimportant. (c't 2012)

RAID (no matter which level) never ever substitutes a backup. (me)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:34 pm 

deanland,

If what you have is a standard Terastation (silver box), it should use a standard mini ATX power supply available at any computer repair shop or online from places like Tigerdirect, etc.

Most new power supplies come with a 24 pin motherboard power connector. The last 4 pins usually can be disconnected from the main connector. The Terastation needs a minumum of 200 watts. Expect to pay between $30-$60 depending on the quality of the power supply. You might also consider purchasing a power supply tester to determine if the power supply is in fact defective. I bought mine from Frys Electronics in California for $12.99.

Hope this helps. let me know if I may be of assistance.

Garrman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:01 am 
Total Newbie

What is the exact model # of your terastation ?

Maybe I can help (I have 2 X TS-HTGL/R5 & HS-DHTGL/R5) that had the same problem (only the fan was working) and I managed to fix them by replacing some parts inside (capacitor, fuse, resistor, etc).

St├ęphane.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:19 am 

Garrman,

Thank you, this is quite helpful.

--Dean

garrman wrote:
deanland,

If what you have is a standard Terastation (silver box), it should use a standard mini ATX power supply available at any computer repair shop or online from places like Tigerdirect, etc.

Most new power supplies come with a 24 pin motherboard power connector. The last 4 pins usually can be disconnected from the main connector. The Terastation needs a minumum of 200 watts. Expect to pay between $30-$60 depending on the quality of the power supply. You might also consider purchasing a power supply tester to determine if the power supply is in fact defective. I bought mine from Frys Electronics in California for $12.99.

Hope this helps. let me know if I may be of assistance.

Garrman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:39 am 

Stephane,

TeraStation: MODEL: HS-DH0.0TGL/R5

While I might not recognize a resistor from a capacitor, learning how to do this and fixing the box sounds like a great project. Hopefully it is simple and I won't break anything else in the process.

Thanks, and I look forward to hearing from you.

--DeanLand

stfontaine wrote:
What is the exact model # of your terastation ?

Maybe I can help (I have 2 X TS-HTGL/R5 & HS-DHTGL/R5) that had the same problem (only the fan was working) and I managed to fix them by replacing some parts inside (capacitor, fuse, resistor, etc).

St├ęphane.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:09 am 
Total Newbie

Were you able to fix yours, or find a way to recover the data? I am having the same issue, seems to have happened after a power outage...

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:18 am 

I ended up finding a replacement for the unit itself on eBay. Still would like to replace the power supply, and yes, after a power outage is when it failed for me, as well.

I continue to look all over (albeit intermittently) for used or retired models, and sooner or later will find one....or get advised on where to buy the replacement power supply part.

If you come across any of the above, remember to please share it here!

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:48 pm 
Total Newbie

Ditto.

I have a like unit with just the fan working. But I'm suspecting the controller board, because I have good voltage coming from the power supply. Model: HS-DH0.0TGL/R5.

Steve